Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KOKOEK9

scissors

Dr. Slick tools come with a "lifetime guarantee against workmanship and defects." That used to include re-sharpening of scissors. I've not had to have any of my Dr. Slicks resharpened, though.... You could contact their customer service and ask.

GCO does have some interesting scissors in their catalog, and would be worth considering. The way to handle it is to contact Will to see if he has them in stock. If they are in stock, then it should be safe to order them. If he's waiting on a shipment from Pakistan, then there could be a significant wait. Just ask him point blank, "do you have these in stock, available for immediate shipment?"

the dr slick scissors i have are serrated on one side and have been cutting materials for over 20 years

the serrations are definitely not like they are on knives

ok I thought they didn't have good shipping

i didnt say they were perfect or even reliable (we all know his reputation) :(

its up to you to decide if you are in a hurry to get your scissors.

check out your local fly shop for scissors

the local big box hobby store also has excellent fly tying scissors in the sewing section

I tried various 'tying scissors' dr slick and stuff like that, all failed for me, either tips too big or they get loose and blunt and wont cut butter. Right now i use Japanese surgical scissors (who knows what type they are super fine), as you know the Japanese make very nice blades and you can get very high quality scissors at a decent price, so far Japanese quality is the only type that works and lasts for me. I will keep importing them if i ever need to again. Hai arigato

The serrations on scissors work more to hold the material. They aren't like serrated knives, the cutting action still being the "scissoring" motion. One of the problems with scissors and fine feathers, hair, etc., is the material sliding out as you close the blades together. Serrations help to prevent or reduce that.

Scissors don't cut like knives, the angle is different. They're (scissors) are shears. I believe you can oversharpen them, and by reducing the angle (or increasing the angle, I'm not sure which) you take away from the shearing capability. To re-sharpen them, it only takes a few strokes of the hone to restore the edge to factory standards.

If you decide to sharpen them, take a black felt tip pen and paint the edges. Sharpen to remove the ink, and you're there.

Craft stores have great scissors too. Also you could look on ebay too. Surgical scissors can be had cheap. Iris scissors for fine work and rounded ends for long cutting.

I got a set of three from Feathercraft several years ago and they have served me well. They look like the Dr. Slick scissors, possibly they come out of the same factory in Pakistan. Most scissors do not get dull, they get loose. If you keep the screw properly tightened they last a long time.

An advantage of having one blade serrated is that you can use that blade to cut the thread very close, just touch the blade to the thread and it will cut. This works best on thread 6/0 and smaller.

Steve

I have used the same pair of Wiss Quikclips for 15 years. They cut as close as anything, stay on your hand and cover a wide range of materials without losing too much sharpness. Also, Feathercraft sells replacement blades which, to me is easier than sharpening and more reliable.

I have used the same pair of Wiss Quikclips for 15 years. They cut as close as anything, stay on your hand and cover a wide range of materials without losing too much sharpness. Also, Feathercraft sells replacement blades which, to me is easier than sharpening and more reliable.

Yeah, I used to have a pair of those ... basically, plastic "Sixth Finger" scissors. They were good scissors and I'll have to go looking for them when I get back home. Thanks for the reminder.