Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Feather Emporium; Honest?? Anybody Using Them?

I do take issue with people who do not introduce themselves before becoming an active participant in the threads ... especially when the very first post is the epitome of an oxymoron.

Part of being human, we think differently. I post on a variety of fishing, hunting, and veterinary sites; since I began using the internet and posting, professional, fishing, tying, hunting, I don't think I have introduced myself but once or twice and that was long ago. I start posting and figure folks will get to know me pretty quickly. A different perspective.

Ray

Just a note, for future reference to all ...

If I post something that can be taken two ways ... jokingly or insultingly ... read it as a joke.

I never remember that the written word doesn't convey the intent, which can be heard in my voice and seen on my face.

My students learn, quickly, that I am rarely serious about anything, except getting the information across on their level.

Yes Mike I always get into trouble for that .......especially when it comes to my wife lol

And yes I do talk to her directly not by facestalk etc

If I post something that can be taken two ways ... jokingly or insultingly ... read it as a joke.

I never remember that the written word doesn't convey the intent, which can be heard in my voice and seen on my face.

I am the same; at the clinic, I am always teasing. There, we've all been together so long, up to 26 or 27 years some have put up with me, we continually hassle each other for fun. I forget sometimes that not everyone does that, and I also occasionally forget that others do the same in or outside of work, online, wherever, and sometimes I don't recognize it.

Sorry. I always enjoy your posts and thoughts.

Ray

but the cree (described as black-white-brown grizzly, popular where grizzly and brown hackle are used together, one hackle from these feathers can do the job of two) feathers were poorly died. A few pieces out of the middle of the long strands were good, the bottom was almost pure brown and tops maybe a light standard black/gray grizzly; very erratic.

FYI, Cree is not dyed. It's a natural color that is kind of a genetic mutation that is hard to replicate (hence it being so hard to find.) That being said, it looks like he tried to pass off a "grizzly variant" as cree... Bad mojo.

Regarding his service and track record... No way in this world I'd order anything from him based on how many issues he has had. There are lots of other hackle dealers that provide much better service.

Regardless of one's ability to write, the writer is ultimately responsibile for what he says. Can't lay off interpretation as the responsibility of the reader. Not everyone has a sense of humor as the writer does, and when something seems unhumerous, can't try to say "It's your fault because I was joking." You can attempt to justify any speech by falling back on that, but it doesn't work.

That removes all responsibility from the power of the writer and IMO is a cop-out. I have no opinion on what Mike originally said except it didn't read like a joke to me. And I'm a pretty funny guy. I wasn't offended by it, just thought it was slightly common.

Regardless of one's ability to write, the writer is ultimately responsibile for what he says. Can't lay off interpretation as the responsibility of the reader. Not everyone has a sense of humor as the writer does, and when something seems unhumerous, can't try to say "It's your fault because I was joking." You can attempt to justify any speech by falling back on that, but it doesn't work.

That removes all responsibility from the power of the writer and IMO is a cop-out. I have no opinion on what Mike originally said except it didn't read like a joke to me. And I'm a pretty funny guy. I wasn't offended by it, just thought it was slightly common.

Interpretation IS the responsibility of the reader. You can't expect someone to censor their writing just because it MIGHT offend someone. That the problem with all this "political correctness" these days.

The reader has the responsibility to monitor his/her own sensibilities to not be offended by what they read. Taking offense at something is a choice. If you choose to be offended ... nothing I do or say will change that. And many people choose to be offended.

If you choose to NOT be offended ... you'll live a much happier, probably longer life.

Interpretation IS the responsibility of the reader. You can't expect someone to censor their writing just because it MIGHT offend someone. That the problem with all this "political correctness" these days.

The reader has the responsibility to monitor his/her own sensibilities to not be offended by what they read. Taking offense at something is a choice. If you choose to be offended ... nothing I do or say will change that. And many people choose to be offended.

If you choose to NOT be offended ... you'll live a much happier, probably longer life.

No, it's not. I taught writing for years, have a MFA and the responsibility lies in "the exact accuracy of presentation." I think Marcel Proust said that. Otherwise, the writer can retreat to a place he calls "safe," like in tag in order to claim an immunity from criticism. However mild that criticism may be.

If you don't mean something, don't say it. If you do mean to say it, say it clearly. That's down to you, not to the reader. You're one person, and there are dozens (here) reading what you say, all of them with probably a different interpretation of what you meant to say. No one is asking anyone to censor their writing, just to take responsibility for what they write. That's the opposite of PC.

You're apparently offended by what I said. Would it matter if I said it was a joke?

No where in my response did I show any offense. In fact, I didn't even give it a thought once I'd hit the send button.

I do take responsibility for what I write, hence the notice earlier ... "If I post something that can be taken two ways ... jokingly or insultingly ... read it as a joke."

With that disclaimer ... I can now joke around all I want. If the reader chooses to take offense, that it is not my responsibility.

Mike, this is not your first rodeo at writing controversial posts. And later attempting to defend them. So continue to write as you please, just don't fool yourself about what you're communicating.

No where in my response did I show any offense. In fact, I didn't even give it a thought once I'd hit the send button.

I do take responsibility for what I write, hence the notice earlier ... "If I post something that can be taken two ways ... jokingly or insultingly ... read it as a joke."

With that disclaimer ... I can now joke around all I want. If the reader chooses to take offense, that it is not my responsibility.

You're working with peoples emotions vs physical pain here but you could say as you burn someone enough to say ouch, gee I was just joking you were supposed to laugh..

And I have, and will apologize where needed. But I see that DCof has not made another post since his little rant.

So, either I didn't offend him and, as usual, someone else decided to be offended for him (A main problem in this Country) ... or I was right, and he only came in to (first and only) post his complaint, never to return and join real discussions.

Should he come on again and voice his OWN offense to my post, I'll gladly and readily apologize ... to him.

I see no reason to apologize to all the bleeding hearts who WANT to be offended.

And I have, and will apologize where needed. But I see that DCof has not made another post since his little rant.

So, either I didn't offend him and, as usual, someone else decided to be offended for him (A main problem in this Country) ... or I was right, and he only came in to (first and only) post his complaint, never to return and join real discussions.

Should he come on again and voice his OWN offense to my post, I'll gladly and readily apologize ... to him.

I see no reason to apologize to all the bleeding hearts who WANT to be offended.

It's all about circumstances for me but generally the board wouldn't need an apology, no. The board is also multi cultural, not all cultures are into Southern Charm, so to speak.