Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
m_grieb

Best 3 weight reel for the money

Hey Guys,

ive been looking around for some time now for a 3 weight reel that is somewhat affordable and is quality and worth the money. I was thinking something within the 100 dollar threshold, for I don't see a reason to spend more than that on just a 3 weight. any input is welcome.

thanks

matt

I just looked at the new Lamson liquid the other day at the fly shop. Seems like a nice reel for $100. The also have a 3 pack- 1 reel and 2 spare spools ( total of 3 spools) and a carrying case for $150. I own 2 lamson reels and they are made well.

BPS White River reels. $29.00 to $59.00 and they work well. I am on the water as more than anyone I personally know, and the reels have held up well to whatever I do to them, so far.

i use ross fly rise reels for my 4 wt. good enough in my opinion. Im not super tough on my trout gear so the cast aluminum isnt an issue for me.

I just went through the same search and ended up with a Redington Drift. I also liked the Lamson Konic which was on sale for right around $100.

Best $19.00 you'll spend. I've had mine for a year and I use my 3wt the most of all my rods. Very happy with it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Wind-River-Fly-Reels/1307921.uts?No=0&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffly-fishing-reels%2F_%2FN-1102569%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105572880%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18

You could spend more but I can't think of a reason why it would be at necessary, the fish won't care.

If you order from Stillwater flyshop they will put backing and a flyline on for free. They have a wide variety of reels and might be a way to increase the buck bang ratio.

I just looked at the new Lamson liquid the other day at the fly shop. Seems like a nice reel for $100. The also have a 3 pack- 1 reel and 2 spare spools ( total of 3 spools) and a carrying case for $150. I own 2 lamson reels and they are made well.

I'll second that. I sell them at the fly shop that I work at, great price for a good reel with a quality drag system used in all of there reels. Oh, and it's still made in the good ol usa..

Based on price I'd get one from the Angler's Roost. He has some in the $40-$50 range. They are machined and look nice. Work well. I have a couple and have bought a couple for friends/family. I've gotten some of the less expensive cast reels and found they really can be damaged by a pretty simple ding on a rock/road etc. The machined holds up a bit better and the Angler's Roost ones find the bill for me. For something a bit nicer I'd get either the Orvis Battenkill or the Allen ATS reels. They are also machined and nice looking / well working reels. Cost a bit more but you also get companies that are easy to work with etc. If you have an Orvis store nearby you can bring the reel in if there are issues and they'll make it right.