Fly Tying
vicrider

July flies from the vise

FLAV%20SPINNERS_zpsgmidwbwz.jpg

FLAV SPINNERs – CDC RUSTY, #12 & SPOT N’ SPARKLE , #14…

FLAV%20BOX%207-15_zpsyuxw2ais.jpg

Completed FLAV BOX...288 Flies...tongue.png

PT/TB

I think you are right on both counts. Tinsel too thick for size of fly but otherwise very nice. The wings look really good. I struggle with them every time I go on a wet fly kick like the Bergmans. A trick I picked up from one of the video gurus on tinsel is twisting it into a rope. I use this a lot on flies with tinsel body and oval or round ribbing. I run the tinsel back, then twist it with a hackle pliers into a rope to wind forward as ribbing. Works great and glad I saw the vid that taught that. I was kind of wondering on your tie if pattern calls for wings in front of hackle. I generally think of hackle in front of wings. Like your fly and will try to copy. I have some thin holographic tinsel I just got and perfect place to put it to use... SO, after I look at my own fly I see tinsel behind the wings. Boink Boink doh

Thanks for the comments. That was the last #14 wet fly hook I had (although it looks like my J Stockard order arrived today), so I'll tie up a few more and use flat tinsel.

There weren't any instructions, it was just a list of materials. I've just started looking up sites and videos devoted to classic wet flies to learn more about the unique tying techniques.

Chuck! I like it! But what i like better is to hear that you use a float tube too! Go the float tube!:-)

Cheers Adam! I love my tube. I never worry about back casting space when chucking those large flies. Bank fished for years and still do from time to time but I'm in the tube for 90% of my bass fishing time.

P3230008_zpsrtr5doa8.jpg

I used to love to fish out of my belly boat...until my belly got too big for my boat. :-(

img_20150703_170726-800-800.jpg

This is a hopper pattern I tied up the other day.

Hook: GC2312 size 10

Body: Poly Yarn

Rib: Orange Ultra Wire

Legs: Knotted Peccary

Wing: Turkey Wing Feather

Extra legs, antenna, and underwing: Crystal Flash

Dubbed head.

I was able to fish it this weekend and caught ten fish in just under fifteen minutes before it started falling apart. The wire and poly yarn combination kept the hopper suspended under the water's surface about two inches. I tied a few with orange floss instead of wire, and used super fine dubbing for the head and it kept afloat on the surface very well. The bass and bream loved it, I'm curious to see if the trout will take it too. I'll probably end up adding some hackle between the wing and head for added buoyancy on the freestone streams when I try for trout.

I little late for the Fourth ... but it's my tribute to Independence Day.

Couple of pictures ... the one on the stick is the closest to the true color. The on on the deck washed out a little.

I little late for the Fourth ... but it's my tribute to Independence Day.

Couple of pictures ... the one on the stick is the closest to the true color. The on on the deck washed out a little.

attachicon.gifDSC01705.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01708.JPG

Nice tie mikechell. That's a pretty popper. I like it and I'm sure the fish will too!

i tied these stonefly nymphs a couple of months ago, but just recently got them in the water. They have very minimal weight added to them, so work well as a dropper under a dry. Landed plenty of nice trout, often times rising to slam it moments after touching the surface. Largest was a fat 18" cut. The dubbing is medium hare's ear and ribbing is actually the same material as the barred floss used for the legs. I darkened the top using brown and black permanent markers, leaving the underside natural tan.
10835411_10152642833060870_6646781641914

Hook: Daiichi 4660 jig hook

Bead: 3/16''

Tail: Fibers from a blue Guinea feather

Body: Fluff from the base of the guinea feather chopped up and used as dubbing

Rib: Medium black UTC Vinyl Rib

Wingcase: Fibers from a blue guinea feather

Thorax: Same as body

Legs: Blue guinea feather fibers, 4-6 on each side.

post-56175-0-22225900-1436608795_thumb.jpg

Heavily weighted streamer. I added some extra weight to help it sink fastef, hoping to try to snag a carp with it, hopefully it's not too big haha

post-56400-0-13907200-1436684553_thumb.jpg