Fly Tying
kennebec12

Rather irritated

Mike,

Stepping back from firearms is wise but how do you know which drones should be wristrocketed or boleroed?

Rocco

If it's hovering over me.

I have nothing to hide. I don't mind the digital age and the knowledge that there are cameras every where.

But if I see someone on the street specifically taking pictures of me, I will approach them and ask why. If I don't like the answer, I will tell them to stop and I'll get their information and report the incident.

Since I can't stop and ask the owner of a drone, I'll just do my utmost to bring it down. When the person comes looking for it, we'll have the above conversation.

Most law enforcement and government agencies (as far as I know) don't use short range hovering type drones. They use larger aircraft that can spend hours aloft.

Just as a point of reference ... My last 3 years in the Corps were with one of the early UAVs, the Pioneer.

Now the troops have small UL drones that are man-portable with fold-out wings that can range just over the next hill and beyond. How long do you think it sill be before squad cars have them?

Knock them down and then see what they are?

Well, you see your honor.....

Rocco

If it's hovering over my house, yep. As long as I don't use an "illegal" weapon to bring it down, I will not be breaking the law.

There will be one deciding factor ... if my toy of choice can reach the drone, it's history. If it's hovering too high, then it will be safe and I won't be able to do anything.

But for now, since there are no set regulations, anything hovering over my position is fair game.

I agree with you mike.I live in the country and i hunt in my backyard.Let one hoover over my house and i'm pretty sure i have a weapon that will reach it so bring it on!

I agree that they have positive uses, I mean here in Maine they have already located several lost individuals. I really don't have a problem with the drones as a technology, just when they are used as surveillance equipment. I currently live in 'suburbia' and there is no need of drones flying around at eye level in a neighborhood like this, they can definitely see more than a helicopter (due to the angle of view) and can see more than anyone walking down the street. I don't really have anything to hide, and not much to be stolen (other than fly tying and fishing gear), but that doesn't mean I want people looking in my window. And the surveying argument came up multiple times in different places, I learned to do surveying in college, and yeah the drones might be great for huge properties out in farmlands or forests, but I could do a topographic and boundary survey of my land in half an hour with manual equipment, half that with the modern self-leveling laser equipment. I don't see a need for a drone there.

If there was a regulation for them to fly at a minimum of 100ft unless over authorized property I could care less what the drones are doing, they would be equivalent to regular aircraft. Make them bluetooth enabled so you can download the owners information. Something other than drones zooming around unchecked. The real problem is the rate at which technology increases compared to snail pace of the government, and the potential for abuse/misuse of this technology. You don't know who is on the other end of that drone and what their intentions are. They just brought down a burglary ring that was breaking into camps up north selectively (aka only hitting camps with tools or guns) how much safer and easier is it for them to scope out properties with a drone as compared to parking beside the camp and wandering around on foot? To know when people are at the place? It is so easily misused it needs to regulated.

Kennebec12 wrote: "Make them bluetooth enabled so you can download the owners information."

Now there is an idea. No ID then it is fair game On top of that I can see transmitted telemetries. If a drone flys to low, too fast,etc, then whatever governing body is notified by the property owners receiver.. I suspect this will all self regulate at some point when someone is injured by a drone. It's a shame that is the kind of thing that it takes.

There is a thing known as "reasonable expectation of privacy" which is well represented in case law in the USA. That's part of the basis why ALMOST all those security cameras you see all over the place do not record audio. Inside a restaurant for instance, they may perfectly well be recording video of you and your friend sitting in a corner booth, where you have a reasonable expectation of some level of privacy. If you are having a quiet conversation about something, even though you are in a place accessible to the public (within the business owner's posted rules, anyway) you still have a reasonable expectation of privacy so it would be illegal for audio to be recorded without a warrant.

Inside your home, you obviously have a reasonable expectation of privacy. If you have a giant window facing a busy public walkway, then it's not entirely reasonable that you could do whatever you want in full view of anyone passing by and expect to keep it "private". If someone is using a surveillance camera to look into your home from a vantage point where you as the occupant would have that reasonable expectation of privacy, they are in the wrong and a good lawyer would eat it up. It is not a set-in-stone group of laws which would or would not cover you if you brought one down.

I'm sure it won't be long before there are court cases where this is tested.

..... and the same court that ruled that corporations are people will be doing it. I expect if some fool loses his drone/toy as a result of doing something he should know not to, he'll probably not do it again. Or at least we can hope.