Fly Tying
kennebec12

Rather irritated

In Sweden there are very strict regulations against this. It falls under the law regarding taking pictures or recording with camera that you don't control at the same place (i.e. handheld camera) around places open for public. You are allowed to have a camera mounted outside your garage door. You are allowed to take pics or record with a drone over your own lawn. But you have to seek permission for doing it outside it and they aren't generous about it. Generally, the only ones getting permission are cases where the drones will be used to prevent crime or accidents.

try throwing a bola 30 m into the air. best of luck.

for those of us living in Canada, you'll find that most roped weapons are illegal, including a monkey fist made out of rope.

I like the power pro idea. Some casting practice in the yard and snag a drone. Use 100lb fireline and that baby's coming earthward.

Not something that we have a lot of where I am but I can imagine in built up areas it becoming an issue.

I like the power pro idea. Some casting practice in the yard and snag a drone.

HA !!! Slapping forehead, "Why didn't I think of that?"!!!

Great idea !!! If the drone owner complains? "Hey, it was a bad cast!" "Haven't you ever seen the wads of fishing line and lures hanging from a phone line near a bridge??"

flytire, did you see the one with the machine gun? The thing that would worry me is a motor on the quad coughing at just the wrong time and shooting yourself.

flytire, did you see the one with the machine gun? The thing that would worry me is a motor on the quad coughing at just the wrong time and shooting yourself.

that is how an arm's race starts, lol.

Haha I don't know if I would call that conventional. I remember we used to fly nitro planes and there was never a problem with those, partly because they were not as stable/couldn't hover, and because cameras were heavy and the resolution was crap. I ended up emailing my representatives and asked them to support any bills relating to drones and privacy, actually got a response from one of them, and am supposed to set up a meeting when the next session begins.

Glad I live in the country where drone and burglar season runs all year long here. No size or bag limits. The only thing I may not do is give a warning shot (considered a threat with deadly weapon). Personally I'd like to Tazer the drone and then Tazer the owner when they come looking for it. Just saying...

On using a fishing rod: Got a rod with a $100+ fly line that needs replacing? "Your drone destroyed my line, you get it back when I get a new line. Here is what you get to buy... Sure, lets call the police they might write you all sorts of fun violations after taking your toy for evidence. BTW, how do you feel about getting fingerprinted?"

Fact of the matter is I think the tech involved with drones is neat (heck I remember when pong came out). It would probably be a hoot to fly one for a little while and I could see some real benefits to to running one here. I have a mile of cow fence that goes through swamp. Using a drone to check it would be a lot easier than slogging through the muck dodging gators. Finding a missing cow sure would be easier. The dog would love it too. Arm tired? No problem we can still play fetch, just get the "ball attachment".

Unfortunately I also see way too much opportunity for abuse. If I found one snooping outside of my house I'd loose my mind. I agree that this will end up in the Supreme Court before it is said and done with. It probably should since I have no idea where my right to privacy, peace, and quiet stops and your right to recreation starts. In fishing terms, look at the stream access issues with property owners. That is a conflicting mess to me since I own property but I like to fish as well. Honestly, if someone I know is at the house and walks into the bathroom just in time to see me coming out of the shower I could care less. Don't blame me for any mental trauma and they better have dark shades to counter the glaring white. They opened that door themselves, serves them right. LOL! I do however get to choose who gets to be in my home, so yes I really do have an issue with this kind of thing. I don't even have kids. That is an entirely different dark road in and of itself. Personally I think that without a court order you don't get to see anything other than what you get to see while standing on the road unless I invited you onto the property. I mean why should someone with a few bucks and good hand eye coordination get to invade my privacy to a greater extent than law enforcement is legally allowed to (without said warrant)?

kennebec12

Brewer City Ordinances Chap. 35 - Art. 1 Sec. 100 ARTICLE #1- DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS ORDINANCE (#1) SECTION 100. DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS PROHIBITED. No person shall discharge any rifle, pistol, or other firearm in the city limits of the City of Brewer within an area that is bounded as follows:

Portland Maine

14A.60.020 Discharge of a Firearm.

(Amended by Ordinance No. 178428, effective May 26, 2004.)
A. It is unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm in the City or upon its boundaries.
B. This Section does not apply to:
A person discharging a firearm in the lawful defense of person or property;
A person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery, or other area designed, built, and lawfully operating for the purpose of target shooting;
A person conducting an athletic contest who fires blank ammunition toward the sky;
A person authorized to fire blank ammunition as part of military or police ceremonies;
A person authorized by permit of the Chief of Police to discharge blank ammunition for a lawful purpose;
Hunter safety instructors of the Oregon State Game Commission or their pupils who are engaged in hunter safety training classes sponsored by the Commission;
A police officer in the performance of official duty;
Employees or contractors of the Port of Portland engaged in flight safety hazard abatement at and around Portland International Airport to comply with FAR Part 139.337.

I hate to be the killjoy on this thread. I can assure you I would be one of the first to step out with a firearm and dispatch the drone. However, This is one of many "Discharge of Firearms Ordinance" that I found specific to Maine. There has been many discussions about paintball and BB guns being included in the ordinance.

I would be very interested in the outcome of you meeting. I'd be curious what the town officials and specifically the town lawyer say can and should be done.

Michael

"Esse Quam Videri"