Fly Tying
banks

Weight forward fly line quality

Id like to know what your favorite weight forward fly line is , Is there one that you consider better quality for longer cast ,

I buy the cheapest line I can find. Almost every rod I am currently using (I carry 6 at a time on my boat) has line that cost me less than $20.00. Several have line that was $9.00 each.

I can cast out to a distance of more than 60 feet (I practice in my front yard ... drive to property line = 60 feet).

However, I am rarely fishing distances more than 40 feet.

I can't speak for those salt water guys who need to haul a thousand yards of line ... but if I ever find myself needing to constantly cast farther ... I am going Spey.

Rio Perception is great if you can spare the money. Had to sell my kidney to buy it. It may just be my casting style/technique or the rod weight is a little wonky but I found that one weight heavier casts tremendously better. Not looking to dump $100, than the Cabela's prestige premier is good too, looking back on it I might have not bought the Rio line for that rod and bought the Cabela's instead, with my casting skill level I don't think that $30-40 makes much difference, maybe 5ft more on my max cast. But then when am I really going to be making max distance casts out on the water? I see little difference in accuracy. The Rio does stay nice and clean though and does seem to make more delicate presentations than the line I had previously, which is great in more heavily pressured water with finicky trout.

On the other hand I almost have to agree with Mike, the difference between $20 line and $100 line is not that much, maybe a few feet greater distance, a little less drag, and a little more delicate presentation, especially if your a beginner or intermediate caster where technique will be a greater factor.

casting lessons if you haven't already done so. it will be money better spent learning how to squeeze those extra feet out with your casting stroke, than expecting a particular line to do it for you.

Cabelas Prestige lines are made by SA (or so I was told by the salesperson at my local Cabelas) and I've had very good luck with those lines. You can grab them up for $15-20 apiece if you watch the "Bargain Cave" section of their website.

As far as long casts, I'll add a +1 to Artimus's comment above --spend the money on casting lessons, not a fancy fly line if you want to learn to cast farther.

Over the years I've used lots of different brands of floating lines. The best I ever had was a prototype Worcestershire WF line. It was superb. I well recall the look on Charles Jardene's face while I explained how great it was. Then he said "Yes I know... I designed it!" The bad news is it never made it into production.

About 4 years ago I got hold of my first Barrio line. A GT90 6 weight. Since them I have not considered buying any other line. The good thing about it is the price. £25 Including world wide shipping. Most quality lines here retail at £40+ (and sometimes its a big +), the usual conversion for lines from the US is to change the $ sign for a £ sign.

Try one, you will not be disappointed.

Cheers,

C.

In freshwater, it's a three way tie between Cabelas Prestige Plus, Sage Freshwater, and Joan Wulff Signature.

All my saltwater reels are spooled with some form of Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper.

Lefty Kreh could cast an entire line without a rod. That tells me the dollars spent on super-high-end lines are no justification for my lack of expertise (when it comes to "castability" ). I've been perfectly happy for several years with Cabela's Prestige Plus lines. I don't think I've paid more than $40 for one. I have them from 3 wt up to 8 wt. I've used them in both fresh and salt water.

The new Rio perception is simply amazing. I stepped up from the cheaper line (Cabelas prestige plus) this Spring and bought the in touch perception WFF for my 5 wt. Some differences may be subtle, but over all loop control and sensitivity are insanely better. The connect core on the perception line has virtually no stretch, so if you do a lot of tight lining like I do, you'll feel just about everything. It made me a better caster over night.

I agree with the above comments, though. Casting lessons will do more good than new line, but better line DOES make you a better caster.

It is like $90 though (I got mine for $75 with a coupon), so you may have to look at it as a multi-year investment to justify that kind of price tag.

I will agree with flyfishingdom that the Rio Perception has very little stretch, I also do a lot of tight line nymphing and the sensitivity with it is great. It's also good for running streamers in shallow riffles. Going to find out next weekend on a big river trip how it does in the wind compared to my other lines, I do notice a difference between lines and casting in the wind.

As pretty much everyone has said, and I hinted at in my first post, casting lessons to develop better technique are great and will get more distance and accuracy and better presentation than any line upgrade ever could. I've also heard from more than a few that expensive line on a cheap rod will cast better than cheap line on a great rod.