Fly Tying
deerhairdan

December Flies From the Bench

Ok so here's the first attempt. Gave it one more coat of varnish and called it good..... haha wow these guys have talent. I struggled to tie one.

Anyways they can only get better from here....

First attempt? Not bad at all!

How big is the hook? You got all the base elements down, now just keep practicing at the pattern and try to improve!

It was tied on a Size 2 mustad. Ref number.... not sure I will get back to you. Thanks for the kind words Eide.

Cream,

Another great job! Do you ever tie them is 5/0?

Tom

I haven't done this one that big, only a couple prototypes in size 1.

Where do all these names come from and how do you folks keep up with them? I can see using the name of something you copied, but, if you are just tying and making it up as you go (chances are it will resemble something already tried) where does the name come from? I know a few........a clousser minnow, wooly booger or bugger (seen it both ways) and a couple of others. However, the rest of these things are like trying to remember the dictionary!

Think I'll make up some flies and some names to go with them and see if anyone notices...........

I think personally naming flies is cool. It isn't a form of classification, beyond major types (clouser, popper, hopper, etc.). Some people have a system, like Retro... names all his flies "Retro somethingorother". I did a Black and Blue that I think I'll name after Fats Waller. I like it when the names have some connection to something, some place, some person, that is relevant to the fly. I do have a problem with using a name that someone else already used.

There are as many different reasons for fly pattern names as there are fly pattern names. Old established patterns were in some cases given names representing the food form they were meant to imitate. Other cases they were named either after the original tier, or after the client who wanted them tied, or the water they were used in first. Sawyer's Killer Bug (original tier,) Adams (client,) or a Platte River Special (water.) Then some patterns got named for the primary or dominant material used, like the Pheasant Tail (also by Frank Sawyer,) or the Hairs Ear. Whatever the name give, when tying these old established patterns, one should keep the standard name. If you make a minor change, one could call it a variation or variant.

When naming a pattern that you haven't seen before (as I did,) you can name it anything you want. When I name a patter that I think is my own and not just a variation of and existing pattern, I try to name it after some characteristic of the pattern, and in many cases, I try to tie the name to some similar pattern that shares some of the same features. There are NO hard and fast rules as to just when a tier has come up with a "new" pattern. There are also no rules defining just how and when you can give a pattern a name.

My recent pattern was named the Transducer since the body was translucent, and the front hackle were patterned after the Seaducer. As JohnnyQ pointed out, my pattern was VERY similar to a Jack Gartside pattern called an Alepf.

There are some minor differences in the way Jack and I tied this pattern, and since I had never encountered the Alepf before, I gave it a name of my own. The way I tie this pattern, the body braid is hollow, and translucent since the mono loop doesn't show. That and the way I tied the body braid down both to the tail fluff, and the rear of the hook shank, using some tension on the mono to give the body a little curvature. I also use bead chain or barbell eyes, and bring the 30# mono through to the front and wrap the head over it to form the weed guard.

Feel free to call the pattern an Alepf variation, I still think there are enough differences in my pattern to give it my own name. Yes it turns out that it IS pattered after Alepf but it is (at least to me,) different enough to let me call it what I prefer.

There is a fairly wide gray area between an exact copy, a small change, a few small changes, and a major change. There are also those rare occasions when one creates an entirely new and different pattern. I feel that somewhere in that gray area there is a line where you can give a pattern a new name.

Articulated soft hackle streamers using Whiting soft hackle with chickabou. The olive on is tied on a #6 and #4 Attitude Extra hooks. The olive/orange is tied on a #6 Attitude Extra and a 1/0 Daiichi 3111

wiggle wiggle

post-54000-0-03966600-1450365140_thumb.jpg

Almost every fly I tie and fish with is my own pattern. I started tying well before I ever looked online for patterns. I learn what techniques I use from a pamphlet that came with the original kit ... about 35 years ago .

So, I called my flies descriptive names. Recently, I've come to find out that some of my flies look like others. Oh well, I like my names better ... and, I DID invent them myself.

You can find most of "my" patterns here:

http://www.flyrecipes.com/

Click the "ready to tie a fly" button.

IMG_7889_zpszschvb5r.jpg

IMG_7896_zpspl4vd3x1.jpg

IMG_7899_zpsrvlpcg4l.jpg

IMG_7905_zpsamtxqmtk.jpg

Another Kiwi pattern. Didn't have any pukeko feathers for the wing, but found some woodduck that's a bit darker blue; it's not quite right, but it'll do.

hook - Mustad 3906 #4

thread - Danville 6/0 black

tail - Australian possum dyed black (original called for black squirrel)

rib - tinsel silver

body - rug yarn dubbing orange

wing - woodduck iridescent blue

hackle - orange

Regards,

Scott

If you dont mind me asking, are you focus stacking these photos? And what aperture do you shoot at? Thank you

Joseph,

I'm photographically challenged (had to look up focus stacking - don't think my camera can do that) and have a very low-tech set-up. My camera's an 8 yr old Canon Powershot SD750 p&s; definitely wasn't their top-of-the-line back in 2007 but it seems to have a decent macro. Lighting is my Ott and 2 clamp lamps on either side.

Regards,

Scott

OLIVE%20CRYSTAL%20DIP%20BCS%2020%20-%20R

OLIVE RAINBOW DIP (G-BCS-20) – Daiichi 1130, #18 – #22…

UV2%20GLO-BRITE%20MIDGES%20GRP_zpsobyqrc

UV/2 GLO-BRITE MIDGE(s) (Purple)...

PT/TB

Hutch's Pennel (kinda)

IMG_8413_zpspq0j09k7.jpg

IMG_8418_zpslpew1xyg.jpg

IMG_8424_zpstqahll4h.jpg

Pattern calls for GP tippet dyed hot orange; tried it and didn't really notice much difference from undyed (guess I need to find a different shade of Koolaid)

hook - Mustad 3906 #10
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tag - tinsel silver
tail - golden pheasant tippet hot orange
rib - oval tinsel silver
body - peacock herl
hackle - 2 turns black hen, 2 turns white hen

Regards,
Scott

I like it Scott ...and I am sure the fish won't either.

Just wish I could photograph my flies that well.