Fly Tying
deerhairdan

February Flies From the Bench

Decided to try to best my last #12 with these #20 Midges pictured on a dime

attachicon.giftiny flies! 2.jpg

Wow.I would have to use bi focals with my magnifying light to even attempt tying those.I don't see how you do it.Great job.They look good.My fat fingers would have a hard time just trying to pick up the hooks.

Decided to try to best my last #12 with these #20 Midges pictured on a dime

attachicon.giftiny flies! 2.jpg

Wow.I would have to use bi focals with my magnifying light to even attempt tying those.I don't see how you do it.Great job.They look good.My fat fingers would have a hard time just trying to pick up the hooks.

im in the same boat with the sausage fingers lol I actually held the hook with my hackle hook to put the bead on.

Beautiful Johnny. How do you get the face so flat?

Thanks. as for the flat face; I got this technique from Jeff Creamer's youtube video

The segment explaining this is right at the 10 minute mark. There are other techniques but this may just be the best. Essentially you need a little square of parchment paper, a small piece of flat plastic with a notch in it to slip over the hook eye and liquid fusion adhesive. Using a bodkin, work some of the adhesive into the face of the bug, cut a tiny slit into the parchment and slide it over the hook eye. Work the plastic over the hook eye and either turn it to lock in place or slip a toothpick through the eye to lock it in place. Now (adjust the plastic) insure that the angle of the face is square and how you want it and set the fly apart for the adhesive to cure. Once dry, remove the plastic and save for the next bug, peel the parchment and trim any stray adhesive with scissors or a razor blade. You can leave the face as is or finish with Hard as Nails or LCA or whatever.

Nice work Joe ......from one extreme to another lol

I had to uncross my eyes! Lol
Lmao

Beautiful Johnny. How do you get the face so flat?

Thanks. as for the flat face; I got this technique from Jeff Creamer's youtube video

The segment explaining this is right at the 10 minute mark. There are other techniques but this may just be the best. Essentially you need a little square of parchment paper, a small piece of flat plastic with a notch in it to slip over the hook eye and liquid fusion adhesive. Using a bodkin, work some of the adhesive into the face of the bug, cut a tiny slit into the parchment and slide it over the hook eye. Work the plastic over the hook eye and either turn it to lock in place or slip a toothpick through the eye to lock it in place. Now (adjust the plastic) insure that the angle of the face is square and how you want it and set the fly apart for the adhesive to cure. Once dry, remove the plastic and save for the next bug, peel the parchment and trim any stray adhesive with scissors or a razor blade. You can leave the face as is or finish with Hard as Nails or LCA or whatever.

Good to know it's working for you, Johnny.

Dan, love seeing your stuff as you are in another league. You guys that have the artistic gene really set the standard.

Curious - when you tie up several divers of the same size do you use a template to rough out the shape/profile of the belly?

Dan, love seeing your stuff as you are in another league. You guys that have the artistic gene really set the standard.

Curious - when you tie up several divers of the same size do you use a template to rough out the shape/profile of the belly?

Thanks alot!

Not really. Most of the belly hair patches are not super consistent in length so each diver has its own size/shape.....if that makes sense....I just cut the belly flat and go from there and try to keep the head the same-ish proportionate size to the tail so it looks like its one bug, not just a tail and a big head or a tail and a pea-head. Every diver has the same general head shape and size of collar/nose ratio.

I have seen a new tool which is basically two pieces of wire molded together to hold a razor blade at a certain angle, but I never trim that way anyway. I always take little chunks at a time rather than one swipe with a bent blade. I have the mentality that you can always trim off more but you cant add it back. Plus the tool keeps your hand farther away from the blade itself making it a little more difficult to control IMO. I have not used it so this is all just speculation of course.

post-41518-0-84164100-1456503860_thumb.jpg

Long time lurker, dont post much, but I need to change that.

Small little diver I tied a few days ago. Any critiques are welcome. Really wanting to improve my skills with deerhair. Been my main focus the past 6 months or so.