Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Rod building, easier than you might think

McFlyLures, that is an old term that means you dance with the one that brought you to the dance and no one else. For us rod builders, we buy from those who sponsor the Rod Building Forum.

McFlyLures, that is an old term that means you dance with the one that brought you to the dance and no one else. For us rod builders, we buy from those who sponsor the Rod Building Forum.

Yeah, I know about that. Went to a Sadie Hawkins dance with my girlfriend in High School and went home with her girlfriend. The next day they had a bad fight (verbal) and I ended up with NO girlfriend on either end. Yep, dance with the one who brung ya'. Saves a lot of trouble.

By the way, back to OP, like flies, one not so perfect will catch fish. I've done a lot of rods and none of them can handle to the 3 I've bought from Steve. They all catch fish though and some of them have performed flawlessly right side by side with the big names of steel heading. 'Course, in some of the earlier days I did have trouble with single foot guides (all I use) from poor technique and coming loose and twisting. Got it down now (I think).

This is a slamon weave I put on the butt section of a 10wt. Blue on blue not the best for showing it off, but I didn't want to spook the fish. Ha ha

post-54459-0-11263800-1459263562_thumb.jpg

This is a slamon weave I put on the butt section of a 10wt. Blue on blue not the best for showing it off, but I didn't want to spook the fish. Ha ha

attachicon.gifDSC_0637.JPG

Ok Im confused how this is possible! You did this with the thread? How? Sorcery!

Goggle rod building butt weaves and you will see how it is done. Make sure you don't just google butt weaves or you may not like the results lol ;)

You can also buy a tool called the Wonder Weaver that makes it a tad easier to do than just doing it free hand.

Yeah, I know about that. Went to a Sadie Hawkins dance with my girlfriend in High School and went home with her girlfriend. The next day they had a bad fight (verbal) and I ended up with NO girlfriend on either end. Yep, dance with the one who brung ya'. Saves a lot of trouble.

By the way, back to OP, like flies, one not so perfect will catch fish. I've done a lot of rods and none of them can handle to the 3 I've bought from Steve. They all catch fish though and some of them have performed flawlessly right side by side with the big names of steel heading. 'Course, in some of the earlier days I did have trouble with single foot guides (all I use) from poor technique and coming loose and twisting. Got it down now (I think).

I dated a girl in high school, she moved away (her dad got a job somewhere else). We had plans to go to prom together. So I bought plain tickets for her and flew her out. She stayed with my parents and me for a night and then over at her friends house for the remainder of the week. I took her to prom the 2nd to the last night of her visit. She didnt dance with me once, and went home with someone from another school (shared school dances). I was pretty upset. Spending all that money, I had no clue! She played me like a fiddle! Just used me to get free plain tickets out to visit her friends. HAHA

Oh the joys of being young, dumb and full of... Well you know where that is going.

Goggle rod building butt weaves and you will see how it is done. Make sure you don't just google butt weaves or you may not like the results lol wink.png

You can also buy a tool called the Wonder Weaver that makes it a tad easier to do than just doing it free hand.

Yeah, I think I will carefully type that in. Reminds me when I was looking for a good assortment of bass plugs. I didnt think about it and googled the short of "assorted" plugs... I ended up with some visuals that will haunt me for years to come...

My son had the same thing- he wanted to buy some boots. He typed "red head boots" on my brother-in-law's computer while my BIL was watching. She was a red head and had on boots. Go from there! Panic city trying to close out while my BIL is rolling on the floor.

Topic: Weaving is something I want to try but haven't gotten up enough patience for it, yet.

Just a little FYI regarding the excess epoxy that was removed with the damp and dry paper towels. You can use DENATURED alcohol to remove the traces of epoxy. If you happen to leave a few 'epoxy' fingerprints, a rag dampened with this alcohol will quickly remove them, even after the epoxy has set. Just make sure you are using DENATURED, as it does not contain any water. Isopropyl alcohol will not work!

I use DNA and 91% isopropyl. heavynets, where do you get 99%? Paper towels tend to leave lint. I use coffee filters.

Skeet ... I get mine from Pet Superstore. I think it's sold as an alternative cleaner/disinfectant to chlorine bleach.