Fly Tying
Bimini15

Question about 10ft rods.

I dont nymph nor steelhead fish, but I have seen 10ft rods designated as rods for tbose kinds of fishing.

Why? What is the advantage?

To me the biggest advantage is it really helps in mending the line. Also, they obviously reach out a little further when nymphing or high sticking. Depending on their stifness they can help in turning a fish due to the increased angle possible from the additional length. In a kayak or deep wading the additional length helps keep the line off the water on my less than perfect backcast.

10ft rods can be used for normal indi rig nymphing as well, doesn't always have to be czech nymphing.. Main advantage to a longer rod when doing any sort of nymphing is that you can keep more line off the water and get a better drift. Same reason also applies to Steelheading because a lot of times you are using small nymphs and nymphing for steelies, but also with steelhead in clear water you drop down to 4-6lb test tippet, so a little extra length adds some cushion to protect that light leader as well.

I also think that keeping line off the water is a big advantage. That's why people who float fish for steelhead use 10-15' rods, to keep as much line off the water as possible, and get a near perfect drift.

In crowded conditions (like opening day, for example), a 10 foot fly rod also helps to clear the area around you a little better. Especially if you're the bad caster type (real or for effect).

In crowded conditions (like opening day, for example), a 10 foot fly rod also helps to clear the area around you a little better. Especially if you're the bad caster type (real or for effect).

ALA, Bull Whip. Speaking of which, I remember my son taking up fly fishing at the age of 15 and how many Joe's Smelts he grenade d in mid air with his 8-1/2 ft 6 wt. !

Mike, have you ever thought about being a stand up comedian?

I know from your videos you fish sitting down so that might be a challenge. But you are funny guy.

What everyone else said plus IMO the longer rods roll cast much more effectively and also give you an edge in using spey cast techniques with a one-hander. Truth to tell they come into their own on big water and are a curse on small streams.

Rocco

Thanks, Salty.

I guess I am funny. Wife's got me convinced I am, since she's always laughing at me. Of course, most of the time, I don't know WHY she's laughing at me, but hey ... as long as she's happy.

I am hoping to save up enough to get a 10 foot fly rod ... but I don't want a big fish rod ... I want one of those in the 4, 3 or less weight. Fishing for sunfish from a farther distance away, and catching a big one on a "buggy whip" ... sounds like too much fun to me!

Thanks for the answers.

I do have a 10 ft. rod. It is an 8wt. that I got it thinking about the kayak and the beach, to get some extra clearance, as mentioned before. But I never rounded up the setup and I really really like my other 8wt. So this one, I never use.

I was wondering about the nymphing and steelheading because that side of fishing I do not know at all. It makes sense now.

I have a ten foot 8 weight I use for most of my bass fishing and some trout a 9"10 four weight I use pretty regularly as well. Seams easier to get long casts, also helps if there's tall grass or low brush behind you.

So, a side question...

Would any of you use a 10ft. 8wt as a switch rod?

Not unless it were an actual designated switch rod blank. Blanks that are meant to be cast two handed have a different taper than blanks that are meant to be cast single handed. The two handed switch blanks are made with a much faster taper and much more power in the butt because there is so much more stress applied to the blank during a two handed cast. So unless it was actually designed to be cast two handed it won't work well being cast that way and in some cases can actually stress the blank enough that it snaps down low on the blank during the cast.

I've considered building a 10' 4 wt rod but thought it might be too noodle like. Now I wonder if it might actually be ideal.

I bet a 10 or 11 ft. 8 wt or even 9 wt switch rod would be pisser down at our salt water canal where we have no back cast room at all. You have to go down about 11 ft of banking, then down on the rock walls of the canal and even if you could get a back cast then there is the road behind you with walkers and cyclists passing by. So everyone but everyone spin or conventional casting rod, fishes that. Switch rod two handed casting vs single handed is like a giant roll cast. But here is the thing, the striped bass in there are often on little peanut bunker or sand eels, like 3 " long. Guys cast and cast the big plugs and get nothing sometimes. Well yeah because at that time they aren't on full sized herring or poggies or mackerel, they are hitting these little bunker or sand eels.