Fly Tying
Bimini15

Question about 10ft rods.

Interesting...

I need to look further into this when I get back home.

That 8wt always felt like a mammoth compared to the other, 8'6", 8wt, St Croix Legend Ultra. I found myself grabbing it high on the handle, trying to use the weight of the reel to gain some leverage, because it never felt right.

I have a 9'6" St Croix 7/8 wt. It had the forward balance issue till I put on an older Redington AL reel ( salt water all aluminum disk drag, beautiful working reel with star drag adjustment) . That reel balances it out. I also have a T&T 8 wt, 9 ft that I use in estuaries here and do some bass fishing with it. But that 9'6" St Croix cast an 8 wt line like a cannon. I'd say it is really an 8 wt rod. It used to tire my wrist when I used a lighter reel.

Another thought is if you are getting too much forward weight in that 8 wt rod you own, get the end cap off and put some lead weight in there till it balances right in your hand. The added weight won't have the tiring effect on your wrist and forearm that the current fore weight does. A properly balanced rod is so much more comfortable than one with forward over weight.

Dave

I have a 10' 2wt that Steve built that I use for bream fishing. It's not noodle at all. It can bomb cast for a 2wt. I love fishing with it. I caught a 5lb catfish on it the other day!

Dave

I have a 10' 2wt that Steve built that I use for bream fishing. It's not noodle at all. It can bomb cast for a 2wt. I love fishing with it. I caught a 5lb catfish on it the other day!

Yeah Kudu, I'm coming to think a 10ft 4 wt is a good answer for what I want to do. I'm kind of glad I've held off on a 9 ft 4 wt build. Do you know what series blank Steve used in that 2 wt rod off hand ?

That 5lb cat on a 2 wt must have interesting !

Hey Mike you're on the right track with the wife...My motto is Happy Wife = Happy Life O.O I have a 10' 2 wt rod blank and think it will be a kick to fish...well that is if I ever finish building the 5wt on my bench right now.

Steve,

If using one-handers with standard spey lines that tend towards very heavy forward sections, I bet modern, thin walled , one hander rods will indeed collapse and break.

But, is the same true if using spey cast techniques with one-handers and normal forward tapers rated for the rod or maybe upgrading one size? The line speed/timing must be a little faster than in the original two handed spey casting game but the stresses do not appear to be severe. I do not claim scads of experience with this system but I have toyed with this approach w/o yet abusing a rod to destruction.

Rocco

Dave

I have a 10' 2wt that Steve built that I use for bream fishing.

That's what I am hoping to purchase, one day. I was thinking a 4 weight was the lightest 10' ... but a 2 weight sounds like even more fun.

Thanks vic, for your vote on that blank. I've been looking at that exact blank. I generally like iM6 rods, currently owning at least three in iM6 but wasn't sure how that compound might be in a 10 ft 4wt. vs iM7 for instance. Course material isn't all there is to a rods design.

FWIW, Rodger has a full 10ft blank, I know you built yours already though.

On the higher end Beulah has one, it's $200 which puts the blank alone above what I was thinking to pay for the whole build. I'm sure it's a superb performer though. It's off my list, the other two on my list.

I'm finishing up a build on one of Roger's 10' 3wt 3piece blanks right now. First coat of epoxy goes on the wraps this morning. :) Very much looking forward to fishing it. :)

I've considered building a 10' 4 wt rod but thought it might be too noodle like. Now I wonder if it might actually be ideal.

I fish a 10' 3 weight regularly. Not at all noodle like. Perfect for what I bought it for (upstream wet fly fishing) but I have no problem using it as a dry fly rod when needed.

I've considered building a 10' 4 wt rod but thought it might be too noodle like. Now I wonder if it might actually be ideal.

I fish a 10' 3 weight regularly. Not at all noodle like. Perfect for what I bought it for (upstream wet fly fishing) but I have no problem using it as a dry fly rod when needed.

Great, nice to know !

I don't know the blank manufacturer. Call Steve. It's a two piece which I like. I wish all my rods were 2 piece.

Dave G did you get around to building that 10ft 4 wt yet? I've been loving mine it's becoming more and more my everyday fisher, partly because of cost though I'd be real sad if someone stole my 8 weight steve built out of my truck. On the 4 wt though I have been almost casting into the backing, I have it loaded with the 5 wt journeyman from bass pro and it feels only slightly overlined, it shoots the line very well. I think I will be in the market for another line soon as that one tends to get tacky on our hundred degree days when I'm fishing ponds instead of the nice cold river.

I built a 10', 4 wt. out of a Pac Bay Quickline blank. I loaded it with a 5 wt line. IMO it's the best all around trout rod. The extra length make mending a breeze and reaches out a little further when nymphing. It might be a just a tad heavy for dry flies, but it's fine for all but the really large streamers.