Fly Tying
mikechell

My sandals are separating ...

Last week, while wading in muck on St. Mary's Lake, my sandals started separating where the toe straps go into the soles.

Has anyone ever repaired a pair of sandals using Shoe Goo or some other adhesive?

I know that if I use the wrong stuff, I won't be able to try again with another adhesive, since the first one can't be completely cleared out.

So, I am looking for someone with some experience that can steer me to the right adhesive for a first time permanent fix.

I've tried that. Sneakers or tennis shoes ... I have two problems with them.

If I wear them without socks, I get sand in their and I get blisters.

If I wear them with socks, they get loose when they get wet, and I get blisters. And in warm water, socks actually make me feel hotter.

I've been wading with sandals for several years, and really like it. I can wave my foot through the water and wash out any sand that gets in there. I feel much cooler with water flowing around me feet. I've had, and ruined cheap sandals. The pair I have now are a little higher quality, but still not an "expensive" pair of wading sandals.

I am trying to get another season or so out of them.

Boy you are cheap aren't you...Unless you are talking trying to fix $80 flip flops.

I'm cheap too sometimes..I've tried numerous CA glues, Barge Cement, Shoo Goo and Epoxies in the past none of them lasted more than a day or two.

Spend the $5 and buy some new flip flops and make poppers out of your broke ones.

wink.png

Edit:

On a side note I swore I'd never pay more than $5-$10 for a pair of flip flops...I get a few months out them and they fall apart in some way. My wife went out and bought me some good ones once(I was upset with her) like $65 or something,well they lasted almost two years.

How about the cheap O water shoes at Wally World...$5-$10 and they last longer than flip flops. It's what I wear wet wadding.

Boy you are cheap aren't you...Unless you are talking trying to fix $80 flip flops.

I'm cheap too sometimes..I've tried numerous CA glues, Barge Cement, Shoo Goo and Epoxies in the past none of them lasted more than a day or two.

Spend the $5 and buy some new flip flops and make poppers out of your broke ones.

wink.png

Edit:

On a side note I swore I'd never pay more than $5-$10 for a pair of flip flops...I get a few months out them and they fall apart in some way. My wife went out and bought me some good ones once(I was upset with her) like $65 or something,well they lasted almost two years.

How about the cheap O water shoes at Wally World...$5-$10 and they last longer than flip flops. It's what I wear wet wadding.

LOL Mike ... yes, I am. But, I don't wade in flip flops. Sandals ... "open toed shoes". The pair I now have ... I bought, on sale, at BPS. I think I spent $30.00.

So, I am looking to get several years (of which I've gotten 2 or 3, I can't remember). They still have good tread and look decent enough to wear to the store if I need to ... it's just that the sole is separating.

Having the glue let go the first time out, is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I am probably going to use my "Speedy Stitcher" on them to help hold them together ... but I need to find a replacement needle for it.

Many pros and cons over the years on various products but the one that seems to rise to the top in most discussions is Barge. I have used various contact cements in the past and wish I could remember the brand name of the one I've had good luck with myself. I think of the various products out there now gorilla glue is making some good stuff. One thing it took me a few years to learn is that to get the best out of any of the products follow their instructions. DOH

My $15 new flip flops broke at my parents house last weekend. The strap separated, pulling up a hunk of leather. Mom used e6000 craft adhesive. They held up to mowing the yard with a push mower yesterday.

What I've learned about gluing blown out footwear over the years is the repair is good to get you through for a few days till you can get to a store and replace them.

That said, I bought a pair of water shoes, basically a spandex sort of mesh with tacky gel soles. I bought them for kayaking and launching the boat actually but have used them in rivers and ponds fishing. The inner liner came out a few years ago but the soles and outsides are still well in tact, so I keep using them. I thought I was getting screwed paying $12 for them, now I wish I could find the exact same ones again. You look kind of like a fairy walking around in them though but at 66yo, 6'2", 230lb, with a gray beard and fairy shoes and ball cap hat ? Well, obviously I really don't care what anyone thinks anyway.

I won't wear anything open in a rocky river though or even these soft sided water shoes. My wife won't either, she finally learned about that. Shorts yes, open toed or soft sided shoes no. Those rocky bottoms don't budge and can be sharp ! But around the Cape it's mostly sand.

Funny you should mention this! I have just done the exact repair you are looking at on my Columbia sandals which are 4 years old and have seen heavy use while fishing.

It is definitely not the first sandals I have done like this over the years. I've practically lived in Tevas (while not at work...) for decades. I haven't had them separate, but other brands, yes.

I used Aqua-seal to do the repairs most recently, and have used Marine Goop (made especially for you, apparently) with great success too. Aqua-Seal is a little runnier and flows better.

I used the handle of a plastic spoon to shove the glue in the opening, then deep into the layers of the sole. Then use it again to stuff the ripped-out "tab" of the sandal strap in.

Easier to do than it is to explain. While I was at it, I just did the same to all the entry points for the other straps. Left it all in my garage for a couple days to cure

and the straps are probably stronger than when they were new.

No reason you can't get a lot more life out of them.

Make sure everything is dry, and as clean as you can reasonably get it. All the Goop, Goo, Aqua-Seal products are fairly similar- flexible synthetic polymers carried in a solvent base. They shrink when they cure so don't be stingy with the amount you use. If you let them cure without being disturbed for a few days, they set up very strong. I've used them to repair all kinds of gear. I wouldn't recommend it if I haven't done it myself many times.

Thank you, all, for the replies. I'm teaching this week and leaving for California on Sunday, so not as much free time as I'd like. But I'll be going to Ace to see if they have Barge or Aqua-seal. I've used Marine Goop on other applications, and it's pretty good.

I don't have anything at the moment, so I'll be buying something tomorrow. Maybe I'll take photos of the repair process and do a "review" of what ever I end up using.

I had teva sandals that did the same. I found no glue worked as there wasn't enough contact between the short end of the strap and the hole in the sandal to provide a good strong bond.

If you're really keen to get another year out of them try pushing a leather needle through the sole, out the hole, through the strap and then threading some stitches in to provide an anchor.

If the front strap on a flip flop keeps pulling through cos' the hole in the sole has become large? You can poke the strap through the sole, then put the ring pull from a can of beer on the end of the strap!