Fly Tying

Hi All,

What better place than here to ask this? I've been fly fishing for over a year now and tying everything I use. This summer, I took a break from feathers and fur to fish other baits with my son on some lakes and they were productive (please KEEP reading). I don't want you fly tying die-hards to get all upset with me for using (ah-hem, other lures) but it might have opened a new gig for me... "bucktail jigs".

They're like a streamer with a built-in anchor up front - right?!?

I want to tie some for freshwater and for saltwater. But for saltwater, the fly shops I frequent don't carry heavy jig heads (over 3/8 oz.).

Anyone care to set me off into the land of big and heavy please? Your input is much appreciated and if there's a specific place here in FTF, please point me there too.

Thanks all!

Tying is tying. Jig heads just limit your patterns to streamer styles, but it's still tying.

BPS, Cabela's and Gander Mountain always have saltwater jig heads in very large sizes.

Are you and your son interested in getting into the whole process together? I have several jig molds just gathering dust including a couple of heavy molds we used to fish lake trout in Lake Superior down to 175' or so. I'd have to take a good look at what I still have out there since I've sold some over the years to people wanting them but pretty sure I at have a couple of heavy head jigs for deep jigging and some other styles for casting.

I should update this to make sure you understand these are molds for pouring jig heads, not the jig head itself. If you are REALLY interested let me know and I'll go dig in the shed to what all I've still got out there.

Nick

When I looked last BassPro only had up to 5oz jig heads(online) and 1 oz jig heads (in store) - your local shop may vary.

But If you throw 'C&B customer jigs' into google you should find ones to buy up to 16oz.

freddo I'm a jig tier I get my jig heads from a couple of places.. Check out Mad Crappie's new 3/8 saltwater jigheads

Nimrods Tackle

http://nimrodstackle.com/index.html

Mad Crappie Jigs

https://www.facebook.com/MAD-Crappie-JIGS-188816388147641/

Hope this helps

Steve-stabgnid

To me tying is tying, whether I use a fly rod or a spinning rod to cast it, or even a boat rod to troll it (haven't gotten around to the latter yet but if I ever get more into offshore stuff I will). I tie my saltwater jigs and get most heads from Heads and Tails Lures. They use to have an online shop but recently moved to an eBay shop. Their heads are nice and nicely priced.

http://stores.ebay.com/HTLureCo/Jig-Heads-/_i.html?_fsub=303374219&_sid=223139109&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

My painting sucks but the jigs work. I prefer the banana jigs in 3/8 oz for the flats and the hot lips or minnow heads in 3/4 oz or 1 oz for casting the jetties at the inlets.

post-18514-0-74389200-1469648108_thumb.jpg post-18514-0-29561000-1469648137_thumb.jpg

post-18514-0-04838400-1469648169_thumb.jpgpost-18514-0-40647600-1469648224_thumb.jpg

post-18514-0-92564400-1469648274_thumb.jpg

To me tying is tying, whether I use a fly rod or a spinning rod to cast it, or even a boat rod to troll it (haven't gotten around to the latter yet but if I ever get more into offshore stuff I will). I tie my saltwater jigs and get most heads from Heads and Tails Lures. They use to have an online shop but recently moved to an eBay shop. Their heads are nice and nicely priced.

http://stores.ebay.com/HTLureCo/Jig-Heads-/_i.html?_fsub=303374219&_sid=223139109&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

My painting sucks but the jigs work. I prefer the banana jigs in 3/8 oz for the flats and the hot lips or minnow heads in 3/4 oz or 1 oz for casting the jetties at the inlets.

attachicon.gifSAM_1541.JPG attachicon.gifSAM_1554.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_1559.JPGattachicon.gifSAM_1561.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_1564.JPG

Are those powder painted ??

Steve-stabgnid

Hi All and THANKS / THANKS / THANKS for all the input and the suggestions. I'll be looking into them all!

@Flytire: Precious machinery that man built! I like it. My son welds... I may need to show him this if I ever want to go teh production route (hee hee)!

Again - thanks to all that shared! I'm off to do some shopping!

We may stop at a BPS on the way to our vacation spot so maybe I'll pacy tying goodies and tie 'em while away...

attachicon.gifSAM_1541.JPG attachicon.gifSAM_1554.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_1559.JPGattachicon.gifSAM_1561.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_1564.JPG

Are those powder painted ??

Steve-stabgnid

No, I use acrylic paint. I should use powder paint as it seems easier but this works well enough for me for now, but it is a process. I do about 3 coats of acrylic paint and then a thick coat or two or Aileen's Fabric Fusion. I usually do several jig heads at a time and by the time I get to the last, the first is dry so I add another coat. I repeat until they are done and then add eyes (if needed) and then the fabric fusion. The hold up pretty well to fish and some abuse but eventually will chip if I hit rocks or anything of cement.

agn54, I did many jigheads in the past, even sold some to a few bigger retailers, and after it came out I really got to like using powder paint. It's not as indestructable as they claim but was pretty tough. I I wanted an order to be really tough I'd swish them and then bake them. One day I took about 5-6 different colors and mixed them up for the heck of it since they didn't have a brown at that time. I came up with olive/brown batch that guys were bringing me jigs to dip. Turned out a bass jig head color that just plain worked and wasn't on any racks at that time.

I've been making and tying jigs for a lot of years (and it's always an easier day than my fly tying days...). I long ago quit molding my own lead heads, preferring instead to use a professional outfit to mold the heads that I want on the hooks I specify... As you can guess I'm ordering at the wholesale end of things and fill orders by the 100 at times to other guides or anglers that know exactly what they want. Haven't filled any orders for shops with jigs in a few years since the money is smaller for the same effort...

At any rate the first item to consider isn't the leadhead (size, shape, etc.) for me -it's the hook. Most bucktail jigs offered in stores don't have very good hooks at all (you really have to look to find anything with a decent hook...). In freshwater that's a small consideration - in the salt it's critical (particularly where I am where one bite is a three pound trout - the next might be a 100lb tarpon - all on the same jig....). Here are two outfits that do really good work on jig heads and offer a choice of hook makes and styles for each offering. The first is the retail side, Lure Parts online (lurepartsonline.com) the second is their wholesale side, Cast Industries, Inc (castind.com) -each has a catalogue and does really good work in the years I've been using them..

The next item is the paint you'll be using on your leadheads.. I buy exclusively from Component Systems, Inc. (csipaint.com) and only use powder coating (just one of the paint options they offer...). You'll find their products available at retail in the lurepartsonline catalogue... I also go the the trouble, after powder coating, to bake my heads (350 degrees for 20 minutes) to harden up the paint....

I do both just leadheads (for using plastic or Gulp tails - they're barbed) and jigheads (for those that want to tie their own tails or use the heads with live bait)... and finished bucktails.. Here's a pic or two of what my customers look for.

post-30940-0-03565100-1469710092_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-01212600-1469710093_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-86429900-1469710093_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-93526800-1469710094_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-84008300-1469710095_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-08407800-1469710201_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-05893500-1469710202_thumb.jpg

Capt Bob have you seen these curing temps from CSI

Cure time and Temp for Powder Paint
Recommended Cure Times and Temps From CSI (Component Systems Inc.)
White*- 25 mins. @ 356F
Yellow Chartreuse* - 25 mins @ 356F
Green Chartreuse* -25 mins @ 356F
Blaze Orange* -25 mins @ 356F
Black*- 25 mins @ 356F
Hot Pink*- 25 mins @ 356F
Flame Red* -25 mins @ 356F
White Pearl- 15 mins @ 325F
Clear*- 25 mins @ 356F
Bright Green*- 25 mins @356F
Yellow*- 25 mins @ 356F
Red- 10 mins @ 400F
Purple*- 15 mins @ 356F
Glow Overcoat- 15 mins @ 375F
Brown* -25 mins @ 356F
Blue- 18 mins @ 375F
Silver- 15 mins @ 400F
Gold- 20 mins @ 375F
Watermelon Pepper15 mins @ 395F
Watermelon 15 mins @ 395F
Pumpkin Brown 16 mins @ 395F
Smoke* 25 mins @ 356F
Green Pumpkin* 25 mins @ 356F
Dark Watermelon* 25 mins @ 356F
June Bug Flake 15 mins @ 395F
Root Beer Flake 15 mins @ 395F
Watermelon Flake 15 mins @ 395F
Copperhead 15 mins @ 395F
Red Bug 15 mins @ 395F
Ruby Slipper 15 mins @ 395F
Baby Bass Green 15 mins @ 395F
Dragonfly 15 mins @ 395F
Pearl Pepper 15 mins @ 395F
Sapphire Blue 15 mins @ 395F
Black-Blue Flake 15 mins @ 395F
Glitter Topcoat Colors* 25 mins @ 356
All Standard Glow Colors- 15 min @ 375
Transparent Candy Colors* 25 mins @ 356F
Standard Glow Colors 15 mins @ 375F
Super Glow Colors* 26 mins @ 356F

* These colors may also be cured for 10 mins @ 392F to 400F..............
Curing @ higher temperatures increase possibility of excess paint running off, especially in multi-coat applications.

I just got this new cure time and temps from Component Systems/CS Coatings

Steve-stabgnid

I've been making and tying jigs for a lot of years (and it's always an easier day than my fly tying days...). I long ago quit molding my own lead heads, preferring instead to use a professional outfit to mold the heads that I want on the hooks I specify... As you can guess I'm ordering at the wholesale end of things and fill orders by the 100 at times to other guides or anglers that know exactly what they want. Haven't filled any orders for shops with jigs in a few years since the money is smaller for the same effort...

Thanks for the details Capt!

Your images and the images other's have posted here are quite inspiring and getting me all riled up. I'll be sold after the first hookup I'm sure (like that first trout on a fly I tied [sO SWEEEEET]). I may play around with smaller freshwater jigs before I head out on vacation but this might be a "new" fun gig for me too! I don't get to fish saltwater enough because of where I live but when we do, it's game on trying new stuff and this year I want to try some bucktail jigs!