Fly Tying
flytire

dumbbell eyes test

here is a youtube video testing dumbbell eyes on top side of hook shank vs underside of hook shank

sorry but no music :)

No music, no problem ... I don't have my sound turned on anyway.

VERY interesting that the same version that landed hook up every time just dropped ... landed on it's side every time when tied to line.

Cool video of flies in current.

Informative video however the comment from Fly-Carpin on the youtube video is very interesting as well - takes into account additional variables...

That was very interesting. Funny how the line, and or current made a difference.

That answered two important questions.

1) Does dumbbell eye position matter?

2) What is Napoleon Dynamite doing these days?

Very unrealistic test,,,, thumb and forefinger interrupt the current flow,,, not how the fly swims with only mono tippet in flow.

Use a piece of wire or rod tip with mono attached then submerge the fly in water flow.

Very fast current flow,,,, much higher CFM than water I normally fish.

I would not put my hand into a tank of water with 110V AC and Chinese manuf. pump/motor assembly operating.

My procedure is to unplug the AC on the Fish-Skull Fly Tester prior to any flow or set up adjustments.

Dropping a hook with eyes and no materials or tippet is not useful or realistic.

Wasted 3 min of video showing how to assemble dumbbell eyes to hook.

Appreciate time and effort to post video however, some constructive thoughts for further testing.

This type of testing also shows how wing size and placement will affect the fly swimming in various currents.

Hook size and wire diameter are also important for fly balance in water current., a keel can be added with lead wire parallel to hook shank.

Many popular streamers do not swim as intended or pictured.

Regards,

FK

Very unrealistic test,,,, thumb and forefinger interrupt the current flow,,, not how the fly swims with only mono tippet in flow.

Use a piece of wire or rod tip with mono attached then submerge the fly in water flow.

Very fast current flow,,,, much higher CFM than water I normally fish.

I would not put my hand into a tank of water with 110V AC and Chinese manuf. pump/motor assembly operating.

My procedure is to unplug the AC on the Fish-Skull Fly Tester prior to any flow or set up adjustments.

Dropping a hook with eyes and no materials or tippet is not useful or realistic.

Wasted 3 min of video showing how to assemble dumbbell eyes to hook.

Appreciate time and effort to post video however, some constructive thoughts for further testing.

This type of testing also shows how wing size and placement will affect the fly swimming in various currents.

Hook size and wire diameter are also important for fly balance in water current., a keel can be added with lead wire parallel to hook shank.

Many popular streamers do not swim as intended or pictured.

Regards,

FK

what he said !

Water is 700 times the density of air. So when an object is dropped in water, drag determines to a great deal, how the object falls. I am assuming he is dropping the hook with the point facing up and the shank facing down.

The eyes have the most drag and the hook bend and point add additional drag at the back of the hook. So when the eyes are under the hook, the drag of the eyes maintains the dropped position so the eyes are land on the up side, and the hook lands point up every time.

When the eyes are on the top of the hook, and he drops the hook with the point up, the drag tries to flip the hook point down. On the first drop, it did flip the hook. Although the hook landed on its side, it obviously did not fall sideways. It flipped over and hit point down. But then the hook rotated to lie on its side. This happened so fast that the camera cannot catch the hit and flip. If the drop is deep enough to allow the hook to flip over, it hits tilted and settles hook point up.

This is not a realistic test BECAUSE any material added to the hook vastly increases the drag during the fall through the water, and drag will determine how the fly falls. Even if the hook lands point up or point down, once the fly is retrieved and not falling, it will rotate so the heaviest side of the fly is down REGARDLESS of how it fell. So how the fly orients itself on retrieve is dependent on whether the center of mass of the fly is above or below point of retrieval and NOT how the fly falls through the water.

Falling though the water is determined by drag and orientation during retrieval is determined by center of mass related to the where the line is attached to pull the fly. That is why keel hooks with a weighted and offset hook shank ALWAYS rode hook point up.

25060805JPG.jpg

"That is why keel hooks with a weighted and offset hook shank ALWAYS rode hook point up."

And jig hooks too? i tie my Clousers eyes down, on a jig hook.

Besides focusing on the water test, minimizing the tying of the dumbell eyes, one added note for video production... if you'll do more videos, grab a wired lav mic from Amazon. $16.90 will get you a decent mic for smartphones and camcorder style video cameras with a 20 foot cord. Has been working well for me the last 2 weeks. It'll minimize background noise by focusing on your words and the audio level will be consistent whether you turn your head, or move distance from the camera.

https://amzn.com/B00HUEBGMU

eric

fresno, ca.

But wait, the intro said it was a "comprehensive test" ! I like his sculpin and his bucktail pike fly, they stream really well and look like killer patterns.. Most of the time he kept his hand back behind the pumps water flow and from his test my question was fairly well answered, that indeed on a fully dressed fly the swim attitude was changed by eye position. I often wondered if they really do ride hook point up or down depending where we place the eyes in terms of above or below the shank. I'm gathering that basically with the eyes under the shank the point is down but more sensitive to retrieval speeds and or current speed. It looks like ( based on this "comprehensive test") the potential is for a bit more erratic swim patterns when tied that way. I'll keep that in mind as to my goal with a pattern. I'm thinking for trolling flies for instance, not that I use a lot of dumb bell eyes in trolling patterns , that trolling speed would be more critical with the eyes under the hook shank. it appears that the eyes on top and thus the hook point up, is indeed the more stable swimmer. But do we always want a more stable swimmer ? Well, in the case of smelt patterns and baby herring patterns, yes. Those two bait fish don't tend to do a lot of flipping. But perhaps in a stunned or crippled pattern , then you might want some instability because those fish in real life are unstable.

I'm left wondering a couple of things actually. How will a down eye vs the straight eye he used be affected. And how would an up eye salmon hook respond ? Both of which I use as much but probably more than straight eye hooks, simply because that is what I have in my box right now. Not to say they can't be replaced by straight eyes along the way. I wouldn't just arbitrarily change based on this test though.

Just thinking out loud here.

Bozeman,

Thanks for taking the time to make the video. I found it very interesting and informative. Always wondered about some of those things.

If you're looking for opinions and critiques, we're pretty good at it.