Fly Tying
Sockeye guy

Vise advice needed

I need a vise that will hold up a 7/0 hook. I am tying flies for Alaska that are not fancy. What vise would you recommend that wont break the bank.

Thanks for your replies

If this is a one shot deal, a lot of bucktail jig tiers just use a plain old small bench vise. They have small table clamp/swivel jaws for like under twenty bucks.

I'm not sure what price range you are looking at however the Dyna King Kingfisher goes for around $175.00 and can hold a 7/0 hook and maybe one of the Regal vises too (not sure).

The guys at the tackle store where I bought my first new, rather than hand me down, fly rod in tied salt water bucktail jigs with a bench vise holding the bigger jig heads. I never heard anyone complaining about it. I imagine Harbor Freight or even home depot would have a small one for low bucks. Or even a small modelers vise would probably work. 41WgbEckA5L._AC_US160_.jpgThis one at Amazon has 3" jaws and costs $19. The base even swivels and it comes with free shipping.

You can get a regular peak vice, no need for big hook jaws. The standard jaws hold a 7/0 no problem and will go down to a #24

I have tied size 32 midges with the Peak vise, using the standard jaws.

Mike

The Griffin Montana Pro vise (non rotary) has the same jaw that the Mongoose has, but it's like $80 or so. That jaw will literally hold anything to a 100% lock down.

Kings and silvers. Some in the salt and some in river.

In one of Lefty's older books, he recommended a vice grips held in a table vice. If I may ask, what are you fishing for that needs a 7/0?