Fly Tying
Hops_N_Hooks

Which fly or types of flies do you hate to tie?

I hate tying flies with synthetic dubbing because it is often hard for me to form a consistent dubbing noodle. Twist too few times and it falls off, too many times and it bands together but not on the thread (wax helps. a little...) I still tye them though because when I do get it right, the fish love em

I would have to say stacked or spun hair files. I hate having more waist left over than what ended up on the fly. Same goes for Game Changers and some of the Trimmed bait fish flies. I don't need deer hair bugs, so I rarely tie them, but I do use a few of the Changers and bait fish, so I do tie those.

Eggs. For whatever reason, I absolutely cannot get the yarn to spin around the hook correctly into an egg shape.

I second that !! When I tie eggs they look like footballs !!

Steve-stabgnid

How are you guys tying them?

I agree that they're deceptively challenging compared to their simple appearance, but football-shaped is (one of the few) issues I've not encountered.

These days I only tie them once a year, for a few weeks before fall steelhead, and as it stands, my biggest flaw is that they occasionally end up with a visible "equator" where the material just doesn't quite flare back over to the other side.

...of course if you tied these egg patterns shaped like footballs over in Europe, you wouldn't have any issues at all.

I tie then exactly like you would see in any video. Keep the yarn in a little tool/straw looking thing to compress it, tie it in with some tight wraps, tie off, cut yarn, spin with fingers.

I can get them to come out right... but more often than not I get a funky looking yarn ball.

The main problem, is I dont really have a use for eggs larger than size 16. I like my eggs in sizes 18-26, but they're hard to find in those sizes. And with my struggles them, those sizes are extra hard.

I've tried the pom-pom method. Don't sink enough for me.

Wow, thanks so much Cold! I was going to start a thread asking fir advice on this... no need now! I'll go through your advice as I tie some up tonight, hopefully I can get some

My precious time is not going to be spent doing something I don't like. I absolutely despise yardwork, and I am counting the days until I put this house up for sale so I don't have 3 or 4 hours a week of that. No way I'm going to sit down at the vise to tie something I don't enjoy.

FlatsRoamer- wish I could show you how easy a Clouser Deep Minnow is once you know how to to do it- any bucktail pattern really. The absolutely critical keys are using the right quality bucktails, and measuring/cutting the hair to length BEFORE tying it in.

Eggs. For whatever reason, I absolutely cannot get the yarn to spin around the hook correctly into an egg shape.

I second that !! When I tie eggs they look like footballs !!

Steve-stabgnid

How are you guys tying them?

I agree that they're deceptively challenging compared to their simple appearance, but football-shaped is (one of the few) issues I've not encountered.

These days I only tie them once a year, for a few weeks before fall steelhead, and as it stands, my biggest flaw is that they occasionally end up with a visible "equator" where the material just doesn't quite flare back over to the other side.

...of course if you tied these egg patterns shaped like footballs over in Europe, you wouldn't have any issues at all.

I tie then exactly like you would see in any video. Keep the yarn in a little tool/straw looking thing to compress it, tie it in with some tight wraps, tie off, cut yarn, spin with fingers.

I can get them to come out right... but more often than not I get a funky looking yarn ball.

The main problem, is I dont really have a use for eggs larger than size 16. I like my eggs in sizes 18-26, but they're hard to find in those sizes. And with my struggles them, those sizes are extra hard.

I've tried the pom-pom method. Don't sink enough for me.

McFlyFoam yarn. Period. You almost can not do it wrong. Other yarns, not so much.

McFlyFoam yarn. Period. You almost can not do it wrong. Other yarns, not so much.

Another vote for McFlyFoam. Tie them like Cold describes or follow this Charlie Craven tutorial: Charlie uses a razor and a single cut. I just use scissors, but don't use your good fine tip scissors.

I second this.

full dress salmon flies. i made an attempt in the 80s, even took a class on tying them and the results weren't pretty

deer hair flies are not my thing either

pike/musky flies. not much of an opportunity for them here in Connecticut so i just don't tie them

saltwater flies. i just don't tie them any more

I find that hard to believe that you have ever tied a fly that is not pretty ;)

nick,

i assure you it wasnt pretty.

That's a great idea for another thread: Show your ugliest flies (we all know you did not throw them away)...

i could only show you pictures of trees and river bottoms in the rocky mountain west as thats where all of my ugliest flies reside smile.png

can you see it (it was a windy day as i remember)

tree_zpsqtb5igxw.jpg