Fly Tying
Hops_N_Hooks

Which fly or types of flies do you hate to tie?

I hated tying upright feather wing dry flies. It's the matched pairs and wasting two feathers for the sake of a stupid set of wings. So I no longer do upright wing pairs from matched feathers but tie in hair wings or poly or antron. And I don't mind duck flank wings either. It's matched pairs of feathers that just bug me.

I don't hate tying Muddlers but I sure have to be in the mood for it.

full dress salmon flies. i made an attempt in the 80s, even took a class on tying them and the results weren't pretty

deer hair flies are not my thing either

pike/musky flies. not much of an opportunity for them here in Connecticut so i just don't tie them

saltwater flies. i just don't tie them any more

Anything repetitive. I don't dislike tying anything, really, specifically. I'll tie panfish flies, bass flies, trout flies, nymphs, dries, etc... But ask me to sit down and tie 15 of any of them, and it becomes a more painful process for me. I'm a little scatterbrained when it comes to what I am tying. I have literally sat down and tied a half dozen midges and then a 1/0 bass bug in the same sitting just to break up the monotony.

Anything repetitive. I don't dislike tying anything, really, specifically. I'll tie panfish flies, bass flies, trout flies, nymphs, dries, etc... But ask me to sit down and tie 15 of any of them, and it becomes a more painful process for me. I'm a little scatterbrained when it comes to what I am tying. I have literally sat down and tied a half dozen midges and then a 1/0 bass bug in the same sitting just to break up the monotony.

Sounds like me

Anything with squirrel can get frustrating for me. The hair doesn't compress and is slick making it much more difficult to bind down than other hairs like buck tail. However I love the way it looks on the fly and in the water so I use it anyway. But man, the obscenities fly when the thread slips of the hair, or worse when I tie it down and think it's secure, then give a little tug on the fibers to make sure and half of them come out.

Agn ... superglue, my man!

I tie a clump of hair ... after the first wrap or two, I put the smallest drop of superglue on the ends before continuing to tie in. By the time I've completely tied the hair down, it's also secured with the superglue.

Anything with squirrel can get frustrating for me. The hair doesn't compress and is slick making it much more difficult to bind down than other hairs like buck tail. However I love the way it looks on the fly and in the water so I use it anyway. But man, the obscenities fly when the thread slips of the hair, or worse when I tie it down and think it's secure, then give a little tug on the fibers to make sure and half of them come out.

Two suggestions:

1. Make sure you're tying it in with a locking wrap. That is...when you're tying in your bunch of squirrel tail, take your thread and make a soft loop around the hair *only*, not the hair and the hook. After this first loop, make a second (and possibly third) loop around both the hair and shank, then pull tight. The tension will keep the hairs bunched together as well as holding tighter. From there, if I've got the room, sometimes I'll take a locking wrap around the tie in point horizontally (like you're wrapping a parachute post, or the sideways wraps when securing dumbell eyes). For extra security you can add a drop of thin CA, but if your hairs are coming out at this point, it's tyer error, not the tricky material.

2. Depending on how full of awing you're using, tie in the hair as a series of 2-3 smaller clumps. Either stack them up vertically or immediately in front of the previous clump. A smaller clump of hair can be tied in far more securely than a thick clump, especially solid, slippery hairs like squirrel tail.

I've found that first wetting fur/hair (squirrel, maribou, etc.) with water helps keep it all together.

That said, I don't care much for tying flies with synthetic fibres.

It's a matter of forced practice. EP & fake Yak hair compress poorly for

me & just plain don't feel right in hand.

Also, those size 32 BWO parachutes get a thumbs-down too wink.png

Eggs. For whatever reason, I absolutely cannot get the yarn to spin around the hook correctly into an egg shape.

I second that !! When I tie eggs they look like footballs !!

Steve-stabgnid

I tie my muddlers with an underwing of red squirrel tail fibers And they are tied down on top of, partly at least, on top of Mylar tinsel ( very slippery combination). I pull down the fibers with about two or three turns of thread, take a wrap between the thread and hook shank to the front of the hair and another wrap over the hair before I trim the hair. A drop of super glue next, then wrap in the over wing and taper the thread forward and back again. This really locks it together, I have never had this pull out since taking this approach. And of course with a muddler those steps are all buried under a deer hair collar and deer hair head.