Fly Tying
jjs89yj

Favorite Fly Fishing Literature

What's your favorite fly fishing book? Not a how-to book or anything like that, but a biography/autobiography, novel, etc?

I am not a "fan" of fly fishing.

I love to fly fish, but I care very little about the "history" or the people who populate that history.

Same thing with tying. I love tying the flies I fish with. But I have little desire to tie flies just for the sake of tying them. And, again, I have little interest in the people who tied flies in the past ... just because they tied flies.

So, the only literature on fly fishing or fly tying I need, is what I can find online.

Less along the lines of "How to cast" or "How to tie saltwater flies" and more along the lines of "Old Man and the Sea" and "A River Runs Through It". What are some of your favorite fishing/fly fishing books, stories, etc etc

Any of the murder mystery books by Keith McCafferty Royal Wulff Murders, The Grey Ghost Murders, etc. Trout Madness and Trout Magic by John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), All of John Gierach. When you are finished reading these, get back to me I have a library full of fly fishing books, including a couple of great ones on the history of fly tying. Tight Lines, Bob

Hey Mike, seems like I bought a murder mystery from you not long ago. I'd have to go look up which one it was (have a couple) but know I got it from you so you do read some fishing books once in a awhile if only fiction.

I sent you a book called, "The Blood Knot" by John Galligan.

It was a good book ... but I got it as part of an auction lot in Chicago.

I rarely pass up a chance to read a book. I usually decide within the first 5 or 10 pages whether I'll read the whole book. I read that one, and another in the series that I donated back. Galligan writes a good story.

Fishing technique, fly tying pattern books ... I have some, but I've never intentionally bought any.

Most were given to me. A few, like "The Blood Knot" was in with a batch of tying materials.

I think "The Nail Knot" was the other one I read. Actually, I don't remember which one I sent to vicrider ... hmmm.

For anyone interested, the second book (now that I am thinking about it) I DID purchase ... just because I'd enjoyed the first one. I was looking through books at a Good Will store, and there it was. There were two other fly fishing books there as well. I don't remember what they were, but I bought them, also, to donate to the DRiFT auction. https://driftorg.com/

I like the books by Chris Yates. Not all fly angling but capture the childhood joy of fishing and nature for me.

The Curtis Creek Manifesto...I hope i got that right.

I found a case years ago on ebay for almost nothing...I gave all but 2 away. The one i got in Middle School and one from the case...they had changed.

On each one i put a too and from inscription card and asked that they pass them down the same...I wonder how that went???