Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Gurgler Tutorial YouTube Video

The good,

Nice short video that is to the point, nice subtitles, nice choice of fly and great camera angle.

The bad,

That was not even close to being a gurgler. The big foam loop is not something I would want in a gurgler. I think you should research and become a subject matter expert before doing a video on what are considered standard patterns.

The minutiae

The seam in the background needs to go

Your not locking your thread in and are only wrapping it around the shank. Not sure if it matters but I learned that locking the thread in is a basic tenant in fly tying. Don't really know if it matters it's just what I learned from no particular source. Would like to hear other opinions on locking the thread in or not.

That was not even close to being a gurgler.

Would like to hear other opinions on locking the thread in or not.

I looked at "images" of Gartside Gurglers ... and more than half of the images look close to what Flats tied. Since he didn't actually call it a "gartside" gurgler ... I believe his fly is a good example.

What do you mean by "Locking in the thread"? Doing a half hitch or whip finishing each step?

If that's what you mean ... I only do that on deer hair flies. For most of my smaller patterns, I don't "lock in" the thread until the final whip finishes. And many of my flies make it through several fishing trips before I need to tie on a new fly.

Start your thread wraps as shown but then go under the tag end once and then continue wrapping over the tag. Again I don't know if it's right, wrong, beneficial or not. It's just what I learned to be a basic in starting the thread. So far I guess I'm the only one thinking this.

Oh ... I've never seen that on any video. Never even heard of it until now.

Interesting concept. If I am tying something that requires a lot of pulling on the thread, something that might cause a spinning of materials, then I put a drop of superglue on the thread after starting it. Perhaps we're doing the same thing, only different. wink.png

If you use gsp you kind of have to lock the thread in or glue it because it's so slick, I don't really bother with other threads just don't cut the tag end until I have several wraps. I haven't ever had a fly come apart from not locking in my thread when I started.

Remember that game you may have played in elementary school where everyone stands (or sits) in a circle, someone whispers something in the next person's ear, they whisper it to the next person, and by the time the full circle is complete, the whispered phrase has changed completely?

Yeah, i'm with poopdeck, the foam back is wrong to be a gurgler. i think this is a big problem in many videos. people who have not thoroughly researched a pattern, tie something loosely based on a well-known pattern, call it the well-known pattern, but it's off on details. other newbies come along weeks, months, years later, see the wrong tie, the wrong association continues, and gets worse. After one detail is off, another is tied differently. Those incorrectly tied and labeled flies are posted online, and they become history in google image searches.

that fly will fish, it'll have a splashy action, but it's not exactly a Gurgler. close, but that back is way off. hey, i tie gurglers that deviate from the original too. i always preface it by saying, "It's based on a Gurgler..." those who understand will agree, those that do not agree, won't understand.

those are my thoughts, as asked.

eric

fresno, ca.

Start your thread wraps as shown but then go under the tag end once and then continue wrapping over the tag. Again I don't know if it's right, wrong, beneficial or not. It's just what I learned to be a basic in starting the thread. So far I guess I'm the only one thinking this.

I do this, although I dont think it makes a big difference to be honest.

For the video, I can only echo what others have said. Good camera angle, clear, simple, short. I'd just label it "Gurgler Variatiin", because it's not quite a Gurgler. No big deal, it's a good pattern and video still.

I have to ask this, because I am truly wondering what is the definition of a gurgler (sic).

There is the "Gartside Gurgler" (sic) ... but is that the ONLY gurgler (sic) pattern?

Does that mean that EVERY other gurgler (sic) that is not tied EXACTLY like the original is NOT a gurgler (sic) at all?

Do we have to label every gurgler (sic) pattern as a "Gartside Gurgler" (sic) variant?

Is every gurgler (sic) tied, automatically a badly tied "Gartside Gurgler" (sic) if it's not labeled as a "variant"?

Flats, I don't always agree with your (sorry, but you are a newbie) opinions and interjections on various topics ... but in this, I think you're fine, since you didn't call it a "Gartside Gurgler" (sic). Leaving the "Gartside" name off, makes it a variant.

Sorry for typing in gurgler (sic) so often. But gurgler (sic) is not actually a word, so it is grammatically correct.

Well Mike its a free country so yeah we can both express our expressions. But I think if you say it's a deceiver and not a leftys deceiver, then you don't have to tie it the exact original way...

I think next video will be crazy Charlie if anyone cares

The quality of the video is actually pretty good. The quality of the gurgler is mediocre at best. Thanks for not mentioning the originator! The problem I have, in general, with these type of instructional videos is that someone searching for how to tie a gurgler may view this and think it is correct. Anyone who posts instructional tying videos owes it to the viewing public to get it right or add a bunch of disclaimers. My guess is that if you stay with tying for a few years you wil look back on some of these flies and be amazed at how much you have improved. Learn and practice and teach later.

Mike W you like the video? Any suggestions ?

Yes nice video..no compliants. I've been tying close to 50 years so I don't need a whole lot of explaination in a video. I like them short,sweet and to the point without a lot a commentary and I like the music muted/low in the background.

Only thing I can suggest is I like to see the actual package of material used...so if I don't know what it is I can go find it more easily.

And I have to agree with some of the others on the pattern...if you are going to call it a Gurgler in the opening you should state "This is My Version" of the Gartisde Gurgler....but then again some guys are just really OCD/Anal. This pattern has a 100 if not more variations of it, just like the Muddler Minnow, Woolly Worm, Woolley Bugger ect ect.

All and all nice video, keep up the good work...you have way more motivation than me...I could give you tips on your tying but I'm too lazy and too busy to do it here in text,but I'd talk to you on the phone.

Flats, I think many of us are old enough to remember a time when the only way to be published involved writing a book. And only people who really knew their stuff got to write the books that would get published on the expectation that they would sell well and make money.

Being published gave authors a level of authority in the field. To this day we still say "he wrote the book" to mean that someone knows a lot about a given topic.

Today anyone can self publish, in print and in video, whether the author knows a lot and even if she/he is a knucklehead. Thank the internet for that.

Keep this in mind when people critique your videos. Some people expect a level of expertise on anything published, including your videos, that at this point you are only starting to develop. So keep in mind that you are getting better as you go, both tying and producing media, and take the criticism for what It is. No more, no less. The good news is that being measured against experts is going to give you lots of good advice. Just do not take it as a put down.

Now, go work on that background... :)

the loop in the body foam may create a nice trail of bubbles along with wht the lip makes. i,ll have to give it a try. oh, nice video too. thanks for making it.