Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Meeshka

We'll be on the hardwater soon!

Carpflyguy, My favorite time of year !! No bugs and not too many people. I really enjoy the changing seasons and probaby couldn't handle "nice" weather all year, but each to his own.

Les

Agreed, I love the changing seasons. Something to look forward to with each one.

Okay. Glad you guys like ice. Winter where I am sucks! Lots of grey days in the 30's and 40's with lots of cold ass rain. Miserable. When it does snow school is called off so have to deal with the kids. When snow is projected there is a mass raid on the stores no eggs, bread, milk or beer left on the shelf. It warms right back up and there is a slushy brown mess everywhere. Winter sucks!

How do you guys ice fly fish in the hard water?

Do you walk 40 ft away from the hole and cast into it?... :D

Only a complete amateur would do this. I walk 100 ft away and cast into it.

How do you guys ice fly fish in the hard water?

Do you walk 40 ft away from the hole and cast into it?... :D

Only a complete amateur would do this. I walk 100 ft away and cast into it.

... with a level line! :)

I'll admit it, i can't stand winter fishing but I love ice fishing. I'm an ice wussy so I want at least 6 inches and I want my partner to stay at least 20' from me. At 9" thick you can sit next to me.

Last year we had no ice. The previous two years we had plenty of ice. The two years before that no ice. This year looks like little ice. I wish my ice was more consistant but not at -15 degrees.

Just to be sure, you guys do realize that MANY of us would love to have your weather, at least for a couple of days.

I miss a mild continental climate and the change of seasons.

Just to be sure, you guys do realize that MANY of us would love to have your weather ...

Which guys are you referring to? You envy Florida weather? Or you envy Northern weather.

Mike, both!

I enjoy what I have and miss what I don't.

I really miss hiking in the woods during the change of seasons, and short bursts or true winter.

So I will quietly weep through the next three months of sunny and dry 80 degree weather. It will be tough...! :)

LOL Bimini ... that's why airlines were invented. Take a flight, visit that cold place, come home to warmth.

It was kind of funny for wife and I when we lived up there. We lived about 80 miles north of Duluth and loved winters. We showshoed, snowmobiles, cross country skis, ice fished, sledded, and spent a lot of time just enjoying winter. I always had a 4x4 with a plow and picked up a few bucks extra play money plowing. Mild days a lot of the Superior streams stayed open by the lake and the steelhead would come up under the ice and we could catch them whenever a junk of river opened up. Casting off the river mouths could produce steelhead, salmon, lakers, and occasionally a walleye or coaster. I lived on the old Air Base Hill and the John Bear Grease dogsled race ran literally right thru our back yard, using a part of a trail I had cut for snowmobiling and skiing.

Then, after 18 years there, they shutdown Reserve Mining. I went back to school in Duluth and got an Associate in Civil Engineering. Went to work in Mnpls/St.Paul doing geological studies for State of MN and lived in the cities for 22 years as our love of winter slowly dimmed until it turned into pure hatred. Well, maybe not hatred since there were still good times to be had but more of a tolerance. Came down to OK to visit her sister and family, bought a house on first visit, and retired here a few years later.

People ask me how I ended up down here and I just tell 'em I put my snowblower on a trailer and kept driving south until someone asked me what the hell that thing was.

I should also add I wasn't much of a 5 gallon pail sitter. I had a couple of portable fish houses and heaters and nephew had a fish house on a roll up, roll down trailer and that had a 21" flat screen that could be switched from his underwater cameras to his satellite tv and watch the game. Heater, bunks, 2 underwater cameras, a cook stove. Really roughing it on the ice.