Fly Tying
dflanagan

Classic wet fly swap

Quick question guys. I've never tied a fly of this style before so for the wing I'm wanting the feathers off a turkey quill if the pattern calls for mottled turkey correct?

wmw4, yes, that's correct. There are different types of turkey quills with different color patterns, though; for "mottled turkey" I think you want something like these:

post-36073-0-51815100-1505314535_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-89020500-1505314550_thumb.jpg

Here's my first Luzerne, compared to the photo display. I used Pearsall's silk thread instead of polyester floss, on the theory the Pearsall's will look better wet. I used a chrome hook but the black hook photographs much better... not sure the fish will notice. I tied my mallard flank in a bunch at the top... maybe I need to mix the bunch together first so the feathers don't all concave up... I'll try that and see... Any other tips to get this looking better are appreciated...

cb post-60546-0-45627800-1505339471_thumb.jpgpost-60546-0-05272600-1505339642_thumb.jpg

Going to run by bass pro tomorrow and hopefully find some fine tinsel but other than does anyone have any tips or corrections? Thanks!

post-59987-0-90720300-1505361625_thumb.jpg

Any other tips to get this looking better are appreciated...

cb27

at the 6:50 minute mark in the following video, watch as he prepares and ties in a lemon woodduck feather wing (the same technique applies to the mallard flank wing on the luzerne fly