Fly Tying
Patriot

Spray for neoprene waders to make them easier to put on?

Merino is coveted in cycling circles as well. In addition to warmth and insulation, they say it does not stink. I have not tried myself.

I've tried wool products for winter fishing before and the itchiness always drove my ocd nuts so I stopped using wool years ago. Haven't tried this "merino wool" you guys are talking about though. I'll have to give it a go sometime and try it out. If it itches me like crazy though I'm banning all you jerks! laugh.png

maybe its time to rethink how to wear those waders smile.png

IMG_1148a.JPG

Flytire,

I don't know if I will ever be able to erase that image from my mind !! LOL

Les

It really is a big improvement over the normal wool, I still wear regular wool pretty often as it is much cheaper, never as underwear though.

I got an ll been merino will shirt 6 years ago has a few holes now but still keeps me warm. The smart wool brand is nice too. Check Sierra trading post they have good deals on merino wool products pretty often.

Okay! The Simms G4 Pro waders have arrived. I tried them on and what a difference they are from my old neoprene waders. Wow! I can see why everyone likes these so much. My legs slide in without much trouble. I REALLY like the built-in gravel guards. They are a huge improvement over the narrow ones I have on my neoprenes.

As noted above, I had to get a size larger to fit my size 12 feet to fit, but while they are a tad large, I getting no 'pulling' at all when I bend my leg up to my waist. These are great.

I also noted that I got these at a $60 discount and I think the reason for this is that they may be returns. They have not been used - all the tags are on, but my dog quickly picked up on either dog or cat hair on the stockingfeet. This could have happened in the store when someone tried them on, but who knows? I'm happy with them.

Now all I have to do is go fishing.biggrin.png

Thanks for all the help I received to talk me into these GT waders.

You'll enjoy them even more in the river. Don't forget to strap on the waist belt pretty tightly (because water getting in your goretex waders will make them suddenly very heavy and near impossible to swim with), and just be aware that if you get in over your hip area you will start to float (from air trapped in your waders) in a manner unlike your neoprene and will be more prone to tipping over.

You'll enjoy them even more in the river. Don't forget to strap on the waist belt pretty tightly (because water getting in your goretex waders will make them suddenly very heavy and near impossible to swim with), and just be aware that if you get in over your hip area you will start to float (from air trapped in your waders) in a manner unlike your neoprene and will be more prone to tipping over.

Great advice! I hear you loud and clear on water getting into the waders. The belt is installed and will remain so.

I have a now-deceased friend who lost a young man he was mentoring on the San Juan when he slipped and drowned due to water getting into his waders. I did not witness this accident, but I have always been keenly aware of how quickly your life can be in peril if water gets into your waders.

I think tightening the belt is a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. My boots are cleated for a good reason. I have slipped in the SJ, but that was when I used felt soled boots. My new Simms G3 boots will have the HardBite cleats installed before I get in the water.

I sincerely appreciate your great common-sense advice.

The waders of death myth is just a myth. Plenty of YouTube videos out there on how water in the waders will not make you sink and drown. If you can swim you can swim just as easily with flooded waders. I've fallen in, my waders have filled up and I was never in any more danger of drowning than before they filled. Once filled with water it's no different than being in the water without waders. I do have a wading belt but it's wide for back support. Wear the wading belt to keep yourself dry and warm.

Having water in your waders doesn't make you sink in water. The density of water in your waders isn't higher than the density of the water in the stream.

Trying to crawl out on the bank in water filled waders though... whole different story...

Although you guys are correct in that water in the waders doesn't "make them heavier" ... it CAN kill you. That is not a myth.

1) As Fisherboy says, it makes it extremely difficult to get OUT of the water, when you're carrying several gallons of water in your waders. At over 8 pounds a gallon, it gets heavy quick.

2) Although water doesn't make the waders heavier IN the water ... swimming/treading water with waders on is just a step above concrete shoes. If they still have air trapped in them, they can make you more buoyant. With water in them, they're sticks, instead of oars.

3) The open top of the waders is like a drag anchor. Not only do you have less "push" with the boots/boot feet, but your fighting that extra resistance of the open top.

Here's a guy jumping in with his waders in every configuration, with and without a PFD. Since nobody wades in water over their heads I guess you could fall out of a kayak and be over your head but it's just as easy to get in a kayak with your waders.

Your wrong on the bootfoot waders as well. Again, once the boot fills with water in water your not feeling the 8 lbs of water. Surely I can't be the only one to fall in wearing the old red ball boot footed waders. The myth is 100% totally debunked. You are not drowning because of waders plain and simple and it's all right here in living color. Now you could still be caught in a tree and drown or you could get hypothermic and drown but your not drowning because of waders of death.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs