Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joshpilon08

Does anyone tie their own ice flies?

I tried it, never caught a thing on them but I also didn't give it a lot of effort either. Shiners seemed to do the trick, then I could sit in my truck with the heater on.

I have. Mostly just wrapping shiny flimsy stuff to small jigs. No patterns or recipes or pictures. Like Dave G. I found the effort to not be worth it. Anymore I just use the tradional ice jigs or a bare hook with a waxie or shiner, can't be beat.

My flies probably needed a little more flash, I tied open water flies but on a jig hook or lead head. To be honest I was more excited about tying the flies than going ice fishing. Although we caught some awesome brown trout through the ice and probably the biggest pickerel of my life and that pickerel was in about 3 ft of water over weeds. I think that was caught on a creek chub ( lots of years ago now).

Guest rich mc

i suggest using 1/64 jig heads add a sparse tail of rabbit hair , wrap flash around the shank then some rabbit as a collar. other things to consider is adding a wet fly or nymph on a short dropper line off a swedish pimple spoon[remove the spoons hook] rich mc

I have. Mostly just wrapping shiny flimsy stuff to small jigs. No patterns or recipes or pictures. Like Dave G. I found the effort to not be worth it. Anymore I just use the tradional ice jigs or a bare hook with a waxie or shiner, can't be beat.

Never Iced fished,but my money would be on the live bait too.

I would be out on the ice today if it wasn't so darn cold.

I have tied a few and am waiting to try them.

small weighted scuds and small jigs that will be baited.

hope to try a local pond this weekend if it gets above 10 deg. F.

its 0 deg. F now.

post-61737-0-28225000-1515075465_thumb.jpg

Yes a simple peacock herl body with a soft hackle collar with or without a tail. I usually fish it 18" or so above my jig tipped with mealy or waxy. They are out in the truck if you need it I'll post a photo after the storm blows over.

Dug some out of the box. Again, no real plan just wrapping stuff on hooks. I'll tip them something alive.

post-48414-0-35670600-1515119641_thumb.jpg

Yes a simple peacock herl body with a soft hackle collar with or without a tail. I usually fish it 18" or so above my jig tipped with mealy or waxy. They are out in the truck if you need it I'll post a photo after the storm blows over.

this will work, soft hackle or neutral buoyant nymph on dropper above a jig, I believe it would work above a live bait as well.

Never tried it over live bait, let me know how it works for you. I usually fish 5 tip ups with live bait and drill another 4 or 5 holes to work around with the jig rod.

I've made some for other folks, but not too much for myself, because wasn't enough ice to be safe to fish. I make tiny jigs, and much of what I've done is like Poopdeck is showing although some were more like some of the flashy midge patterns popular today. Didn't matter if they were used thru ice or not, small jigs work on panfish if that's what you're after.

I've caught Crappies in the warmer months on "ice" jigs & lures. The fish don't know they're supposed to be for ice fishing.

If you can tie a fly, you can tie an ice jig. smile.png