Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

1 minute ago, SalarMan said:

Thanks for your thoughts Barry. Since my last reply to this topic I went ahead and bit the bullet...the Renzetti Master has been ordered!! Sometimes these things can be a little too easy. After agonizing over this it finally dawned on me it was a no brainer...so the deed is done.

One other note - I have an excellent custom base I got free sometime in the past, so I ordered a head only and a stem to fit the head...total cost to me $545.00

I’m sure you will be very happy with your RM. it’s a true rotary vise and very nicely made. I bought the midge jaws for mine but hardly ever used them. The standard jaws can handle very small hooks. 
Enjoy

Barry

7 minutes ago, Bazzer69 said:

I’m sure you will be very happy with your RM. it’s a true rotary vise and very nicely made. I bought the midge jaws for mine but hardly ever used them. The standard jaws can handle very small hooks. 
Enjoy

Barry

I know this sounds crazy, but I had 2 of and sold both of them in the past. The first one was a regret, the second one was a bit of a dog bought used and "improved" by that owner. This time it will be brand new and I am ready to rock and roll since I am familiar with what the vise can do.

I will definitely enjoy.

Cheers,
George

9 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Can you tell me the range of hook sizes it will hold?

I’ve tied on most hook sizes between  2/0 streamer hooks to #24 dry fly hooks. Solid holding power with all hooks I’ve used with it. It’s a very versatile vise in my opinion. 

9 hours ago, Toothy said:

I’ve tied on most hook sizes between  2/0 streamer hooks to #24 dry fly hooks. Solid holding power with all hooks I’ve used with it. It’s a very versatile vise in my opinion. 

Thanks Toothy...that is good to know. I've committed to a Renzetti Master, but the TRV is never out of the picture. It is a great vise!!

21 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Thanks for your thoughts Barry. Since my last reply to this topic I went ahead and bit the bullet...the Renzetti Master has been ordered!! Sometimes these things can be a little too easy. After agonizing over this it finally dawned on me it was a no brainer...so the deed is done.

One other note - I have an excellent custom base I got free sometime in the past, so I ordered a head only and a stem to fit the head...total cost to me $545.00

Congratulations and enjoy George!

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Congratulations and enjoy George!

Thanks...and will do!!

7 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Thanks Toothy...that is good to know. I've committed to a Renzetti Master, but the TRV is never out of the picture. It is a great vise!!

Yes, I know the feeling...I caved and own both... 😬  They are both excellent! Enjoy the Master!

17 hours ago, Toothy said:

Yes, I know the feeling...I caved and own both... 😬  They are both excellent! Enjoy the Master!

This will be my 3rd Master Series..say what?...and I still can't figure out why I unloaded the first two. My second vise is the Presentation 2004, which has the shaft that allows the jaws to be pivoted like the Master...I call it my Mini Master. I may sell that one off and put a TRV in the mix...just what I need at 71 years old - 😁😁

Personally I don’t see the need for multiple vises to do the same job, more money than sense for me. Yes I do have more than one vise, one is a cheap Regal copy to take out as a portable vise when needed and the second is a Renzetti tube fly vise. This one I’m not going to get rid  of. 
B

12 minutes ago, Bazzer69 said:

Personally I don’t see the need for multiple vises to do the same job, more money than sense for me. Yes I do have more than one vise, one is a cheap Regal copy to take out as a portable vise when needed and the second is a Renzetti tube fly vise. This one I’m not going to get rid  of. 
B

I appreciate that point of view...but to me it is just part of the fun just like owning multiple rods, reels ,etc.

When I am working on a classic Atlantic Salmon fly it is in the Master. If I am headed off trout fishing and need some specific flies for that excursion I have a vise to tie those flies without disturbing the demanding work on the classic...and I want that vise to be one that is special too.

When tying publicly at my tying club or one of the shows where we may have a booth I choose my vise depending on my mood and how the ego is kicking in😎:P

19 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

I appreciate that point of view...but to me it is just part of the fun just like owning multiple rods, reels ,etc.

When I am working on a classic Atlantic Salmon fly it is in the Master. If I am headed off trout fishing and need some specific flies for that excursion I have a vise to tie those flies without disturbing the demanding work on the classic...and I want that vise to be one that is special too.

When tying publicly at my tying club or one of the shows where we may have a booth I choose my vise depending on my mood and how the ego is kicking in😎:P

Yes, I appreciate your point of view. But many of us are not professional show tiers so indeed take whatever vise is best for your needs but the Renzetti Master can tie a whole range of flies from salmon irons to very small trout flies. My CAE direct copy of. LAW does the same but somehow I miss my Master. 
but for the average tier I just can’t see the need for multiple vises unless you are a real collector. It’s best to stick with one and learn how to use it and all its idiosyncrasies. Same with rods and reels, I personally am guilty of have to many duplicates, but that comes from 2500 guide trips I guess. Spending money does not make you a better fly tyer or fisherman. I remember one trip with a pro baseball player, Yankees out fielder. He showed up just from Orvis looking like a advertisement, he thought spending thousands on gear would  Guarantee him catching loads of fish. He lost his rod and reel etc on the first fish I put him over and he hooked. Loaned home a old Sage GL and he did just great with that. The rider to this story is he wore his wading jacket under his waders, it peed down with rain!

Bazzer

13 hours ago, Bazzer69 said:

Yes, I appreciate your point of view. But many of us are not professional show tiers so indeed take whatever vise is best for your needs but the Renzetti Master can tie a whole range of flies from salmon irons to very small trout flies. My CAE direct copy of. LAW does the same but somehow I miss my Master. 
but for the average tier I just can’t see the need for multiple vises unless you are a real collector. It’s best to stick with one and learn how to use it and all its idiosyncrasies. Same with rods and reels, I personally am guilty of have to many duplicates, but that comes from 2500 guide trips I guess. Spending money does not make you a better fly tyer or fisherman. I remember one trip with a pro baseball player, Yankees out fielder. He showed up just from Orvis looking like a advertisement, he thought spending thousands on gear would  Guarantee him catching loads of fish. He lost his rod and reel etc on the first fish I put him over and he hooked. Loaned home a old Sage GL and he did just great with that. The rider to this story is he wore his wading jacket under his waders, it peed down with rain!

Bazzer

First...I'm not one of those rich bozos you guide wherever it is you ply your trade, I'm a retired sheet metal worker who has been fly fishing almost 60 years and tying over 50 years. I do know my way around a vise...and on the stream or river. I carefully save my money until I can buy and enjoy some of the finer things in fly fishing. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

I'm not a professional show tyer. I belong to the Main Line Fly Tyers (MLFT) and have since their beginning in the early 1970's. My public tying consists of several times per year being one of the 2 tyers that does a little demo tying before our monthly meeting for the benefit of the other members regarding a pattern or technique, whatever. When the club has a booth at a local show some of us take the time to tie and promote the club...its tying classes, fly fishing classes, casting classes, etc to try and interest people in joining a fine organization and a great bunch of folks with a common interest in fly fishing, tying, etc.

I have been fortunate enough to grow up in the sport at a time when I was able to meet and get to know a lot of great folks...many names that would be recognizable to most if not everyone on this site. I learned lots from those people and I do my best to pass along what I've learned to the next generation of fly fishers.

You sir don't know me...and you DO NOT appreciate or understand my point of view!!

George

9 hours ago, SalarMan said:

First...I'm not one of those rich bozos you guide wherever it is you ply your trade, I'm a retired sheet metal worker who has been fly fishing almost 60 years and tying over 50 years. I do know my way around a vise...and on the stream or river. I carefully save my money until I can buy and enjoy some of the finer things in fly fishing. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

I'm not a professional show tyer. I belong to the Main Line Fly Tyers (MLFT) and have since their beginning in the early 1970's. My public tying consists of several times per year being one of the 2 tyers that does a little demo tying before our monthly meeting for the benefit of the other members regarding a pattern or technique, whatever. When the club has a booth at a local show some of us take the time to tie and promote the club...its tying classes, fly fishing classes, casting classes, etc to try and interest people in joining a fine organization and a great bunch of folks with a common interest in fly fishing, tying, etc.

I have been fortunate enough to grow up in the sport at a time when I was able to meet and get to know a lot of great folks...many names that would be recognizable to most if not everyone on this site. I learned lots from those people and I do my best to pass along what I've learned to the next generation of fly fishers.

You sir don't know me...and you DO NOT appreciate or understand my point of view!!

George

George, there was no offense meant so please accept my apology. If you ever are in the Redding area I’ll  take you out to fish the Lower Sac at no charge except for a bottle of lunch wine!  
Barry the Guide

I wish someone would explain what "need" has to do with it.  I'm unqualified to speak on salmon flies, but my TRV will tie on anything I'm likely to tie on it.  I'm not a vise collector, but do own a few vises because....well, I like vises.  I also own several flyrods and more than several reels because I like them and get pleasure tying/fishing with my modest collection.  If need were an issue, I'd own one rod, one reel, and one vise.  But foolish me, I bought what I could afford.

I sold my RM vise a year ago on Ebay, sold it too cheap because I didn't know how to run the Ebay system.  Someone got a great deal on a great vise.  But I have no regrets, really, except for selling it too cheap.  But use?  Nah, it would do anything but had a lot of bells and whistles and looked "busy" if that makes sense.  I found I don't really NEED a RM, a TRV, a Regal or a HMH Standard, but I like them a lot and I'm an old man and don't see much reason to save every dime for a future that's not going to be measured in decades.  Basically, I'm happy with my vises.

Some time ago,I had a box made that holds a lot of materials and a vise for transporting and consolidation.  The vise the box was designed to fit is a HMH Spartan.  I wish I could get comfortable with rotary vises, but can't use all the advantages.  

The TRV holds small hooks well to 22, small as I have tied.  And Up to size 4, which is as large as I've tied on it.