Fly Tying
flytire

diy synthetic dubbing

If I fished the same waters frequently I'd do my own mixes to match what's often in the water. I think that would help catch trout, a lot. Without that frequency, though, I personally haven't found the ability to make precise colors matter. Maybe someone else has a solution to that problem (besides streamside tying or just bringing a ton of flies in different colors with you), but I haven't found it. So I usually just go with general, available color mixes and hope for the best.

Bought a $2 coffee grinder at the thrift store, gather yarn, floss, etc. from ladies that knit or do embroidery work along with what ever kind of fur I can find at the local thrift store. Throw in some left over thread tag ends, tinsel, flash, etc. Good majority of the mixed dubbing is used in dubbing brushes. Do I save money? about as much as I save tying my own flies or making my own furled leaders. But I enjoy seeing what I come up with and if I don't like it, then I round file it. Every once in awhile I end up with something I would not use on a regular fly but I use on a Tenkara fly that makes the fly a little more flashy than normal. Like most hobbies, I do it for me.

The first time I got into making my own dubbing, was when stayed with Chuck Rizzuto at his San Juan River Lodge.

Chuck is the originator of the San Juan Worm.

https://books.google.com/books?id=tsG3DAAAQBAJ&pg=PT863&lpg=PT863&dq=chuck+rizutto+san+juan+river&source=bl&ots=K85sQYSVXT&sig=V7CecZYSnCRMmjXncQsGLnI75Cg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiBy4rjmM3eAhVJIKwKHRfHBToQ6AEwC3oECAIQAQ#v=onepage&q=chuck%20rizutto%20san%20juan%20river&f=false

However on this occasion he showed me another fly, his chocolate emerger for the Baetis hatches that occurred every morning at about 11AM. The fly was a killer, taking trout after trout.

When I got home, I could not match the color of the chocolate emerger with any of my dubbing, nor did I find a good match in any of the catalogs. The perfect match was Red Heart acrylic yarn (coffee color) that I found at my local K-Mart. I cut the yarn into 2-3" strips and used a comb to comb out the yarn and made dubbing. It worked perfectly and I suspect this is the same way that Chuck made his chocolate emerger dubbing.

I had a tri color collie that passed about 7 years ago. His under coat was perfect dubbing for an Adams dry.

Did I try it? You betcha, wish I still had some. Felt like he was with me every time I used an Adams.

My daughter's golden retriever's under coat worked great for true fly larva underneath uni clear tubing. I decided to try to get a sample from the cat cat- years of building trust gone in an instant.

I decided to try to get a sample from the cat cat- years of building trust gone in an instant.

Along with a finger or two ... likely. Our cats like to have their fur removed by rigorous scrubbing. Doesn't make for a good "collection" method. Sweeping it up doesn't allow much control over quality. Given all the hassles, buying dubbing is WAY easier than collecting from a feline.

On the other hand ... I've got a huge collection of cat whiskers. I haven't decided what I am going to use them for ... but I'm set for life when I do.

I see that Mike and a few others either do not want to make dubbing from things that are not normally used as dubbing or they see no viable reason for doing so. I am retired so wasting time is not an issue for me. Like some others, I make dubbing just because I can and just to see how it works in the finished fly. I have an abundance of various kinds of dubbing and various things from which to make dubbing, so I don't really need to make any more, but "need" is usually not an issue. Knowing I can make something that very few people can or never will do gives me a sense of satisfaction. I don't "need" the more than 40 or so vintage fiberglass and bamboo rods I have, but they bring me joy just in having them.

Joe

Polly Rosborough, the originator of many great flies, liked to blend furs like rabbit, beaver, mink and muskrat to make his "noodles" of fur. His technique was simplicity itself: The furs were placed in a bowl of warm water with a few drops of detergent, agitated for a minute with his fingers, poured into sieve, rinsed with fresh water and then blotted dry. I prefer this technique as the fibers don't get fragmented or tangled as they do in a blender. And it works equally well for chopped yarn and synthetics.