Fly Tying
breambuster

Terrestrials Anyone?

I don't by any means want to suggest that my attempt to tie this fly is anywhere as nice as Flytire's, but I do believe it's worth at least trying. And I will readily admit that my photography skills are no where near in the same class with him, but maybe you can get an idea of my efforts. I haven't had a chance to fish my attempt at tying this fly yet; it's cold and windy and rainy in the SC Upstate today, but I am looking forward to trying it, especially next Spring when nature comes to life again. So what do you guys thing?

BB

post-747-0-07155400-1544817949_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-89278200-1544818551_thumb.jpg

What size fringe beads and where did you order them? I might just try our relatively new Hobby Lobby in Elk and see if it's something they stock. By the way, they look like they're very edible to a fish.

Vicrider, the Hobby Lobby here doesn’t carry them. I got them from the link that you sent me. Fire Mountain Gems & Beads. They are Rainbow Lime Green and they are size 4x3.4. One tube of beads is $3.60 and contains about 180 beads. Thanks for the encouragement. I just want to tie something that will catch fish. I got the rest of the materials from J Stockard. I can give you a materials list if you need it.

BB

Here is what I used to knot these freaking legs once I got the hang of it it was easy ..

https://thelimpcobra.com/2016/06/01/fly-tying-a-diy-knotted-leg-tool/

Steve-stabgnid

Ive always just used my fingertips and a pair of hemostats or hackle pliers or something to pull the tag though.

I watched this and went thats pretty freaking slick!

Made the tool out of a paperclip and got after it.

Took me almost a whole turkey quill to figure it out!!

Just did six in a row with no problems man once you get the hang of this and figured it out you could probably crank out 100 an hour if you needed to.

Thx for the share...thats whats this site is all about.

👌

The people that figure these kind of problems out like this amaze me.

I think I've got a pattern figured out for the swap. I wanted to avoid using foam, but of the half dozen different bees I've tied up, these had the proper sink rate with the hooks I have. Now to work on consistency..

post-59266-0-48146700-1545019403_thumb.jpg

Thanks breambuster!

Yes Mike, I like them to sink slowly.

In the spring and summer when the copperheads are bedding here they can be caught on almost anything right against the bank. But, if you let one of these guys slowly sink out in 5+ ft of water the giants will rise and slurp them up. I wanted to keep from using foam for durability sake... but they sank a little quick for my liking. I compensated by using gorilla super glue under the foam to toughen them up some.

I understand. I catch more on a sinking pattern ... just haven't thought of bee colors. I like the looks of the fly, by the way.

Just because I'm a little OCD about grammar and spelling ... Coppernosed Bluegill ... not Copperhead.

Lol. Gotcha. I had never heard bluegills referred to as coppernosed...or I guess copperhead either, until the last few years. They were always just bluegills to me.

As a kid, the black with yellow striped grub bodies on a beetle spin was the only color you needed to fill the live well. Turns out to work on a fly also.

Sometimes it seems that Bluegill and their close cousins will eat anything that lands close when on spawning beds. The smaller "cruisers" will come and get it from long distances. But it's usually more of a challenge to get the big bulls to come up and take. Although you need to drop it in about a 10" radius, a McGinty seems to be one fly that usually forces a take. It can't be a fly that sinks very fast because you are often in 1-2 feet of water, therefore you need to move a heavier fly faster to keep it out of the muck. Looks like your foam guys (like a McGinty) would have that neutral buoyancy that would work with a pause when you hit the target or a very slow retrieve.