Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies From the Vise

I like that blue dragon fly, Cream. What the heck is that second fly? It's definitely a buggy looking fly ... but there's a LOT going on there.

This fly is known as the "Yeller Hammer." It is a local Appalachian fly and was originally tied with the wing feather (the hackle) of the yellow flicker. It is now illegal to kill a flicker or to even possess the feathers from one. Many other feathers have been used including dove or quail wing feathers died yellow. I have found ordinary duck wing quills to be very good, and the trout don't seem to mind. I believe I have talked about this fly in posts gone by. I caught some rainbows yesterday in the GSMNP with this fly and they really nailed it. Sorry for the poor photograph, but it is what it is.

Joe

Hook: nymph hook 14 to 8, weighted, a bead can also be added

Tail: Grizzly hackle

Body: yellow floss or yellow dubbing

Hackle: yellow duck quill soaked and trimmedpost-61897-0-81208700-1557350098_thumb.jpgpost-61897-0-23006900-1557350155_thumb.jpg

I like that blue dragon fly, Cream. What the heck is that second fly? It's definitely a buggy looking fly ... but there's a LOT going on there.

Looks like a Royal humpy madam X emerger.

It's a Fly Fish Food pattern they call the Grumpy Frumpy.

I looked that up. Like I said, a lot going on. But now I can say, yours is tied perfectly !!!

I looked that up. Like I said, a lot going on. But now I can say, yours is tied perfectly !!!

Thanks, Mike. I fished the blue damsel a little on Sunday and the panfish approved. It was a pretty successful debut.

Variation of Nelson Ishiyama's Pattern
Nelson's Caddis Black
Hook: TMC 2312
Thread: Black UNI 6/0
Body: Caddis Life Cycle
Wing: Deer Hair dyed*
Hackle, Whiting Black
*Note: Wing is tied in with three sections with dubbing over ends.

post-20459-0-25764800-1557429539_thumb.jpg