Fly Tying
fshng2

Poppers, Sliders & Divers Show Us Your Patterns

maybe it's a category that can be added to the "Species/Tying Style Specific Forums" section.

+1 on that thought. Some great creative flies posted here.

Personally, I never look at the sub-forums and I don't think very many people do. If you want something to get looked at, put it in one of the main forums.

I'm sure there's lots of interesting stuff in them, I just don't have enough time to go through them all individually to find the stuff I would be interested in. It might cut into my fishing time.

There is a sub-forum,in this Flytying Bench forum, right at the top of the list of topics... Poppers, et al, cut across 3 other forums: Saltwater, Coldwater, and Warmwater.

Just thinking there is more than one way to skin this proverbial cat, oh oh... Sorry Mike... Never mind, I don’t actually know any ways to skin a cat, nor do I wish to learn ...

maybe it's a category that can be added to the "Species/Tying Style Specific Forums" section.

+1 on that thought. Some great creative flies posted here.

Personally, I never look at the sub-forums and I don't think very many people do. If you want something to get looked at, put it in one of the main forums.

I'm sure there's lots of interesting stuff in them, I just don't have enough time to go through them all individually to find the stuff I would be interested in. It might cut into my fishing time.

There is a sub-forum,in this Flytying Bench forum, right at the top of the list of topics... Poppers, et al, cut across 3 other forums: Saltwater, Coldwater, and Warmwater.

Just thinking there is more than one way to skin this proverbial cat, oh oh... Sorry Mike... Never mind, I dont actually know any ways to skin a cat, nor do I wish to learn ...

The fluffy ones would probably make great zonker strips though.

About the Perfect Popper heads I'm using... Can't post photos since Imgur (my bucket site for photos) is down for some reason but here's some info.. Perfect Poppers come as already slotted and shaped heads - and yes, the SpeedBug does have a cupped face although the photos I chose doesn't show it... They make both hard bodied and soft heads -the ones I'm using for the SpeedBug are listed as being for a #4 hook (for freshwater purposes I'm guessing). So the #1 hook I'm using is way above what the maker suggests - but it's exactly right for my purposes.. When Imgur is back up I've got a photo that will show the relationship between head and hook a lot more clearly...

Hope this helps - although I no longer tie commercially, we still use a lot of these bugs in the backcountry of the Everglades where they're very successful...

About the Perfect Popper heads I'm using... Can't post photos since Imgur (my bucket site for photos) is down for some reason but here's some info.. Perfect Poppers come as already slotted and shaped heads - and yes, the SpeedBug does have a cupped face although the photos I chose doesn't show it... They make both hard bodied and soft heads -the ones I'm using for the SpeedBug are listed as being for a #4 hook (for freshwater purposes I'm guessing). So the #1 hook I'm using is way above what the maker suggests - but it's exactly right for my purposes.. When Imgur is back up I've got a photo that will show the relationship between head and hook a lot more clearly...

Hope this helps - although I no longer tie commercially, we still use a lot of these bugs in the backcountry of the Everglades where they're very successful...

Thanks, Capt. Bob.

Here's that picture showing a bunch of popper heads ready for tying...

zLXQpyG.jpg

Gluing them up is the "speedy" part of making SpeedBugs... Each hook is chucked up and a double course of flat waxed nylon thread is laid on the shank where the head has to mate with the hook... Each hook is then placed in the slot just enough so that you can lay a bead of super glue on the thread (I like plain old Krazy Glue...) then the hook is seated properly and each head is clamped down on the slot with either a clothes pin or a mini- clamp for about five minutes to close the slot and gain good adhesion... At first when you release the pin or clamp the head appears distorted but the soft foam quickly recovers its shape and is ready to tie a tail on.. All of this is much quicker than any other method I've used in the past back when I was either using hard foam heads or cork heads....

Not really.. but when were fishing them - they get chewed quickly enough that they never last very long at all. Youll also note in the very first pic just how short and minimal the tail is so theres not much additional material weighing them down....

I have been contemplating picking up an airbrush but just can't justify spending the money for the couple dozen poppers at most I paint each year. This year I picked up some color shifting and pearlescent paints at the hobby store and discovered the lost art of finger painting. I'm not sure how well the photo shows it but I'm super happy with the transition from a very light color shifting green to white on this popper. So much so that I plan on shaping some more cork to smear paint on.

post-48414-0-66054000-1582473183_thumb.jpg

I have been contemplating picking up an airbrush but just can't justify spending the money for the couple dozen poppers at most I paint each year. This year I picked up some color shifting and pearlescent paints at the hobby store and discovered the lost art of finger painting. I'm not sure how well the photo shows it but I'm super happy with the transition from a very light color shifting green to white on this popper. So much so that I plan on shaping some more cork to smear paint on.

attachicon.gif aaa.jpg

Have you seen this for under $7?

It will only work with markers though.

GIJYWM4IRTS.1581816467.jpg

Kimo

There are commercial foam bream poppers. Bought a kit. Marabou, Krystal flash, rubber legs (old school), grizzly rooster hackle and painted with nail polish.