Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Honest to goodness mammoth hair

I don't know Mike, I've raised and butchered a lot of chickens and ducks.

But in this case I expect it's more of a family pet situation so...

Sorry Mark!  BTW do you have any photos of the cave paintings depicting you and your wooly when you were young? 🤣

Swamp

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

It's hard to kill an animal you raised from birth.

6 minutes ago, Swamp Fly said:

I don't know Mike, I've raised and butchered a lot of chickens and ducks.

But in this case I expect it's more of a family pet situation so...

Sorry Mark!  BTW do you have any photos of the cave paintings depicting you and your wooly when you were young? 🤣

Swamp

You guys are too much.😁 yeah, I'll be even older tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Swamp Fly said:

... you and your wooly...

Swamp

One of our horses (a really big one) is named Woolly, does that count as Woolly Mammoth hair?

Hey Samsonboi, in case you didn't already know, horse mane makes outstanding body material, either braided with a floss belly or wrapped around like hackle stems.... And it's not easy to come by in the fly shops.

1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

Hey Samsonboi, in case you didn't already know, horse mane makes outstanding body material, either braided with a floss belly or wrapped around like hackle stems.... And it's not easy to come by in the fly shops.

55 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

Yes indeed! I do know that... And if anyone wants some, trimming time may be coming up soon!

Tails too, but maybe tails don’t get trimmed much, had some after a friend bobbed a couple of her racehorse.  Wrapped very nice on #14 and#16 s dries

I often use tail instead of mane because it's longer. The tails we actually trim more often, but I think they were trimmed recently because they step on them and tear them out if they get too long. They don't have that kind of trouble with the mane.

Chugbug, if I can find one of our horses that has a too-long tail, I'll get you some tail hair too.

I'm still in search for "Tups" hair from a Sasquatch. Sheep tups is easy to find.