Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

I built a dimmer for my led desk lights

Now its nothing special but i had all the parts laying around in my surplus electrical box.   I started with a dimmer switch wired to a 3 prong extension cord ,  then wired it to a double outlet.   The good thing is that i can dim 2 lamps at the same time.     It actually works pretty good.   Its going to be re done in a nicer enclosure when I acquire exactly what i need.   

I made a fly dryer wheel in a similar manner years back but it was bulky and a lot more expensive.

93995A99-43D8-45E2-9B3B-24F178EB339D.jpeg

hi look's a good idea  a little while a go I bought daylight desk light with a built in dimmer and it's an excellent light from a sewing shop for £19.00 if you shop round on the internet you could pick up a bargin regarding you flie drier I been thinking about one and you could make one out of an old sewing machine motor and a foot speed control look in a second hand shop hope this help's

kind regards Steve

This doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. I believe the NEC would call this a fire hazard. You can buy inline dimmer switches that install on the lamp cord for under $5.00. 

In live event production building multi outlet drops from metal wall boxes and 20amp wall outlets is standard, they are way stronger and less faulty than the ones you can buy pre-made.

2 hours ago, petelangevin said:

You did,   I need to get a better camera and lighting set up but this may be the start of it.

How interesting it is that I was already following you! 

i prefer more light to see my flies better while i tie them

my eyes are getting older and suffer in dim conditions

Safety is always a very major factor when home building a project like this. Nether the less is a excellent idea. I purchased a really nice dimable led desk light from Costco three or four years ago. It also has Bluetooth speakers in it  I also have a dimmable Ottlite which is not led  

I notice in the replies some where from the UK and some from the USA. The outlet voltage in the UK can be as high as 240 volts, that can definitely kill, whereas the outlet voltage in the USA is 115 volts, that can give you a good shock, but far less likely to be fatal. But even so be very careful particularly when messing with two outlets as depicted in the OP as you can easily end up with two feeds that can be 220+ volts. It is also a very good idea to make sure that a GFI outlet is used, not only might that stop you from being put in a pine box but from burning the house down and incurring the wife’s wroth, far worst than death!

It's almost impossible to accidentally end up with 2 hot feeds on a 120v outlet, you would have to go to the panel and disconnect the neutral and connect it to a different circuit breaker than the hot is already connected to.

I cleared this thru an electrician,  no its not code but its safe.    Actually its overkill.   I am a telephone technician,  i work around and with electricity constantly.   I would not do anything unsafe.   And trust me ive seen a lot of unsafe things.