Fly Tying
Poopdeck

I'm staying in the boat

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

At least my air conditioning hasn't broke. 

Just be thankful you didn't lose your power for 52 hrs during that 96f heat wave......That's more than some of us can say 🤬 lol

That whole "staying in the boat" deal is a pretty good idea in my neighborhood as well....  This crocodile is laying about fifty feet from where I launch my skiff each day when I'm down in Everglades National Park at Flamingo....  Before anyone freaks out the American saltwater crocodile is actually a fish eater (so the biologists keep telling us - but I don't think they've ever been able to study a big one - and I"ve personally seen at least one nearly as big as my 17' skiff...).  The really dangerous animal in my world is either a shark or a big 'gator.  Stay away from either one is my advice.

eAZ9cn4.jpg

18 hours ago, Philly said:

I don't hike in with my buddies anymore when they head to one of their favorite hidden lakes in the Poconos.  I'll sit on the dock and fish.   My friend almost died from Lyme Disease over 15 years ago, before I had met her.  It was mis-diagnosed and she ended up in the ICU.   I had the bullseye rash but went to my PCP and he immediately prescribed the antibiotic that stops it.  A 30 day regime.  They do creep me out.  My last encounter with a tick was weird.  I was sitting in what use to be our family dinning room.  I'm the only one in the house and I use the table for my computer.   Anyway, I feel something crawling on my head.  I grabbed it, it felt like a spider, which also creep me out,  when I put it on the table it was tick.  I used a lighter to eliminate it, and tried to figure out how it got on my head.  I hadn't been out in my back yard or anywhere I might have picked one up    Still haven't figured out how it ended up on my head.

Pets can bring them in-

15 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I was going to head out for some night catfishing from the boat to beat the oppressive upper 90's heat and humidity until I discovered I have a non working navigational light and I don't have any oil. Dang it! I'm heading to Richmond on Friday so I won't be able to fix it and buy oil until Monday at the earliest. At least my air conditioning hasn't broke. 

Poopdeck, I hope the new bottle of oil will fix your nav. light problem. 😁

10 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Ha ha haaaaaa!  I like where your mind goes, Mark.

BTW youse guys with dogs got a new monthly all in one chewable.  SimparicaTrio takes care of heart worms, fleas, ticks, round/hook worms in one deal.  $142 for 6 months saves about $100 from Heartguard and Comfortis or the old Simparica separates.  👍

33298118-6155-4ED1-A5CB-9B44CAE481DF.jpeg

09CF7E0F-929D-4446-8F1C-DBE97CAD97C2.jpeg

For you guys who hate ticks (ya squeamish little girls!😉), no ... you cannot take these dog medications yourself.

Well, maybe you can.  You CAN get dog Amoxicillin and take it yourselves if you think you need an antibiotic.  Maybe you CAN keep ticks away with that stuff!

😁

PS ... if you try it, and suffer some serious negative side effects, I'm only joking and accept no responsibility for your actions.

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

For you guys who hate ticks (ya squeamish little girls!😉), no ... you cannot take these dog medications yourself.

Well, maybe you can.  You CAN get dog Amoxicillin and take it yourselves if you think you need an antibiotic.  Maybe you CAN keep ticks away with that stuff!

😁

PS ... if you try it, and suffer some serious negative side effects, I'm only joking and accept no responsibility for your actions.

I think I heard something similar on TV recently, Mike.  

I will neither deny nor confirm what I took when I had my tick bite infection 😁 (amazing what sort of stuff I have on my shelf for my fish meds, just sayin...😁 lol)

10 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Good stuff that oil, fixes most things. At the very least it gets rid of squeaks making everything sound like it's fixed, 

I've had lyme infection twice since moving back to Pennsylvania in 09.    It is a hotspot.   Neither time did I have a bullseye rash, and neither time was within 4 months of knowing I had a tick bite.   I have to ASSume the nymph stage ticks got me and I just didn't find them.   Even before that, I was always nearly paranoid about wearing actual chemical repellent and taking precautions.  Thankfully my doc is well aware and willing to get the correct tests done when he sees the symptoms and not try to treat for everything but lyme like so many others want to do-  both times I had some of the other classic symptoms but not the bullseye rash.   The first time I think I had it for a while based on some joint swelling and pain for no good reason, before the bad stuff hit.  I always have joint pain from old injuries but there were "odd" things that happened, and I'm a dumbass who doesn't like to run to the doc everytime something hurts.   I actually thought I might die one night, sweats, chills, headache, pain, vision problems, the night before I was started on 30 days of doxycylene.   30 days of doxycyclene F's you up all by itself too.   It is, and can be a life-changing thing-   I basically gave up stream fishing for years.  Super paranoid still.   Just this summer I got back to fishing a few streams, but I get directly to the water,  wade in, and don't get out, and don't creep around in the weeds and brush, and constantly check myself.   Beyond a doubt it has had permanent effects on me, which won't go into here.  I'll just say there are still a lot of people who refuse to think it is a serious issue.   I hope they never have to experience it.   Dammit now I feel those little f'ers crawling on me here at my desk..... !

Belgium A5 Mag HumpBack from my Pops.   I had the barrel throated and a steel shot choke installed.   I don’t shoot extreme loads in it to not bulge the barrel.  Mags aren’t really bad about that but the LightTwelves barrels are not as thick.  I refinished the stock and forearm awhile back.  I don’t use it in the salty marshes.  Got a Condor OU for that; doubles as a paddle...

On 8/27/2020 at 3:07 PM, JSzymczyk said:

I've had lyme infection twice since moving back to Pennsylvania in 09.    It is a hotspot.   Neither time did I have a bullseye rash, and neither time was within 4 months of knowing I had a tick bite.   I have to ASSume the nymph stage ticks got me and I just didn't find them.   Even before that, I was always nearly paranoid about wearing actual chemical repellent and taking precautions.  Thankfully my doc is well aware and willing to get the correct tests done when he sees the symptoms and not try to treat for everything but lyme like so many others want to do-  both times I had some of the other classic symptoms but not the bullseye rash.   The first time I think I had it for a while based on some joint swelling and pain for no good reason, before the bad stuff hit.  I always have joint pain from old injuries but there were "odd" things that happened, and I'm a dumbass who doesn't like to run to the doc everytime something hurts.   I actually thought I might die one night, sweats, chills, headache, pain, vision problems, the night before I was started on 30 days of doxycylene.   30 days of doxycyclene F's you up all by itself too.   It is, and can be a life-changing thing-   I basically gave up stream fishing for years.  Super paranoid still.   Just this summer I got back to fishing a few streams, but I get directly to the water,  wade in, and don't get out, and don't creep around in the weeds and brush, and constantly check myself.   Beyond a doubt it has had permanent effects on me, which won't go into here.  I'll just say there are still a lot of people who refuse to think it is a serious issue.   I hope they never have to experience it.   Dammit now I feel those little f'ers crawling on me here at my desk..... !

Here in Massachusetts we had an explosion in Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) at the end of summer last year through Halloween.  It's carried by mosquitoes and so fishing was risky for a while.  EEE is no joke, it's fatal to 50%-75% of those who contract it. I began using copious amounts 40% deet repellent because getting bit simply wasn't going to be allowed.   Fortunately the stuff also works on ticks and I haven't had an issue with the little bastards since.  It's as if they don't exist anymore.