Fly Tying
flytire

August Flies From the Vise

1 hour ago, Landon P said:

This one is a bit different. Put more effort into the photo also!

I like it! Great background for a very nice fly.

16 hours ago, Justin H said:

I finally decided to try Kimo's deer hair emergers. These two are far from perfect and I still need much more practice, but once I get it figured out these will be getting a spot in my fly box for sure.

First attempt:

Second try:

Justin H,
 Did you have any issue aligning the deer hair in the clip before you placed it in the dubbing loop?
I'll post a pic if you did.
BTW, nice composite loop above!

Kimo

15 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Justin H,
 Did you have any issue aligning the deer hair in the clip before you placed it in the dubbing loop?
I'll post a pic if you did.
BTW, nice composite loop above!

Kimo

Yes I did have trouble, so after a few tries I ended up just putting a thick coat of beeswax on the dubbing loop thread and putting the clump of deer hair straight in that way. After some adjusting I made it work, but it wasn't ideal, so a pic would be great! It may just be because I use a cheap chip clip and it doesn't always hold materials well.

Also, thanks for the compliment on the buford, but it doesn't use a loop (although it does look like it does), everything is either spun, reverse tied, folded, or tied in in small clumps. It is quite a long process and there are a lot of materials in there, but it is worth it for how well it fishes and casts. Only problem is each one ends up being tied a little different because I can never remember all the steps. 😄

@Mogup Thank you!

On 8/7/2020 at 10:38 AM, Justin H said:

Yes I did have trouble, so after a few tries I ended up just putting a thick coat of beeswax on the dubbing loop thread and putting the clump of deer hair straight in that way. After some adjusting I made it work, but it wasn't ideal, so a pic would be great! It may just be because I use a cheap chip clip and it doesn't always hold materials well.

Also, thanks for the compliment on the buford, but it doesn't use a loop (although it does look like it does), everything is either spun, reverse tied, folded, or tied in in small clumps. It is quite a long process and there are a lot of materials in there, but it is worth it for how well it fishes and casts. Only problem is each one ends up being tied a little different because I can never remember all the steps. 😄

@Mogup Thank you!

C

My first attempt at a Colonel Fuller. Marrying the wings wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, although that could just be beginners luck.  I will probably work on other flies from Bergman's book. One of these days, though I am going to have to try those deer hair reverse parachutes.

1982409495_ColonelFuller.thumb.jpg.606a51e426c081184d6ee2433bbdb126.jpg

Yeah nice first effort. Not sure what hook your using, looks quite small. There’s a lot going on at front of hook and that can create its own challenges. 

2 hours ago, TSMcDougald said:

My first attempt at a Colonel Fuller. Marrying the wings wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, although that could just be beginners luck.  I will probably work on other flies from Bergman's book. One of these days, though I am going to have to try those deer hair reverse parachutes.

1982409495_ColonelFuller.thumb.jpg.606a51e426c081184d6ee2433bbdb126.jpg

That does look good!