Fly Tying
flytire

August Flies From the Vise

3 minutes ago, TSMcDougald said:

Those look great!

Thank you very much. I'll say that turkey flat post is a real PITA.  On the other hand tying them sure helps my thread control improve.

24 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

You said it!  Nice ties. 

Thanks chug, you're killing it too. I guess if I was tying bigger, I could hold onto the flat while wrapping it, but 18's are too small so I have to wrap "free hand".  It's all good, eh?  BTW, I use zap medium or some medium CA I picked up at Hobby Lobby on the thread base before wrapping the quill.  What have you been using for a post, calf? That's another PITA material

1 hour ago, TSMcDougald said:

I will second rhat. I also like the materials you used. Very creative!

Thanks TS.  It’s a combination of materials I’ve seen others use.

1 hour ago, TSMcDougald said:

I will second rhat. I also like the materials you used. Very creative!

Thanks TS.  It’s a combination of materials I’ve seen others use.

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

What have you been using for a post

I like a challenge so yup I've been mostly using calf tail for the hair wings & turkey flats for the parachutes. The polypropylene in my cabinet likes to poke fun, I can hear it laughing at me sometimes... 

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

It's all good, eh?

+1

Great stuff this month from everybody, truly inspirational.

I decided to try out a flymph... It was fun, but let's just say, it's not as easy as it looks. (Hats off, @Old Hat.) I'm going to put them on hold while I fill out my box, and get back to learning them properly in a little bit.

BWO Emerger Flymph

Hook: Mustad 94843 #12 (4xs, 3xf)

Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer, amber

Hackle: Whiting hen hackle cape, barred dun

Rib: Small gold UTC wire

Tail / Shuck: Whiting Brahma hen saddle fibers, mottled grey, "wild"

Body: Dubbing loop of Australian possum underfur hand-dyed "bwo olive," mixed with bits of shiny yellow dubbing strands.

(and tying wax)

Materials:

735124257_BWOFlymphMaterialsReducedSize.thumb.jpg.cb296513fab95c11f40a94dfab0e67a0.jpg

First attempt:

1404828349_BWOFlymphFirstAttemptIck.thumb.jpg.c26715cbddd3dbcdaf399d8604c17815.jpg

Second attempt:

1728671452_BWOFlymphAttempt2v2.thumb.jpg.949993472f5183906cae4fa148ae0558.jpg

1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

I like a challenge so yup I've been mostly using calf tail for the hair wings & turkey flats for the parachutes. The polypropylene in my cabinet likes to poke fun, I can hear it laughing at me sometimes...

I like the challenge too. Makes it even more fun. I hate when "easy" materials laugh at me. Especially those deep belly laughs. Maybe I need to soundproof the drawers they're in.

And yup. +1

1 minute ago, Sandan said:

That's a beauty Mark

Thanks, I'm still working some things out, exploring new things. When it quits raining (like the proverbial "flat rock" thing) around here I'm going to fish these mayflies. You guys are all tying nice stuff.

hey guys how do i tie a good moth pattern, that seems to be clearwater river grayling's favorite food.

6 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

@TIER Scott's been posting a lot of great moth patterns lately... Search the site for moth by author SBPatt

Yes, Scott's are very nice and, you can do Light Cahills and Light Elk Hair Caddises.

I got this idea from the mylar prince nymph by clark. Instead of mylar with a coper wire around it I tried coper john style. Just for practice more than anything else. Its hard to keep those coper coils touching. I also lost the body taper between breaking the thread and wire... Practice, practice, practice.

DSC_0110.jpeg