Fly Tying

On 9/5/2020 at 1:25 PM, troutmaster08 said:

I finally caught my first rainbow on the fly. It was a little guy in a mountain stream on a size 12 foam ant.

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 12.41.14 PM.png

You didn't say whether you kept the trout or released it. Please wet your hands when handling trout. It is a fundamental rule when releasing trout. I hope you kept it because it is dead.

Most of you have probably never heard of "eye set." It is the position of the pupil in the eye and indicates whether a fish is dead or alive.

I don't want to be harsh but from my experience that trout is dead. The position of the pupil in the eye is an indication of whether the fish is alive or dead,. Notice that the pupil is centered in the eye. A live trout will have it's pupil looking down as in all the photos below.

35716275895_895c137688_z.jpg

35557154882_027730f7ce_z.jpg

35724834445_82da29ab9e_z.jpg

I pulled the photo below of two dead trout from the internet. Notice the centered pupils.

DSC_0185.jpg

I think if those of you who are reading this will look at the photos you have of the fish you release, you will notice that the live ones have the pupils looking down. Here is a reference.

https://www.themeateater.com/fish/fly/how-to-spot-dead-eye-steelhead

13 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Thank you!  I don't think there is a trout within 100 miles of me now, but I am going after some and I appreciate your "lesson".

Bill

@troutmaster08 great job on your first trout on the fly. I just took my nephews out spin fishing last weekend and they caught their first fish ever, they were pretty psyched, I imagine you felt the same.