Fly Tying
petelangevin

Anyone dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome?

I had done around 12,000 says and neuters that caused mine, being a vet.  I was dropping instruments in the O.R.  no problems now.  I can feel them again.

I had carpal tunnel syndrome from too much typing at work and play and other repetitive activities so it was in both hands. It didn't impact tying that much but I couldn't hold a fly rod for more than a couple of minutes.  One hand was registered as 7 of 10 in severity in the left and 8 of 10 in the right plus trigger finger in one. Sometime having a high pain threshold isn't helpful. The surgery I had under local anesthesia wasn''t that big a deal except that I had to go in twice. . . you need to have a hand free to wipe yourself(sorry couldn't resist).   

Pete for over 34 years I've worked weekends as professional upright bassist- until Covid hit.  I have struggled with CTS on and off for years.  It goes with the territory for musicians along with hearing loss which sadly I also have to deal with.  There are threads on the bassist forums just like this one with the exact same advise. 

My symptoms come and go so I deal with them with braces and the same methods listed on this thread.  There are some minimal risks with the surgery and I will make that decision if my condition degrades.   Surprisingly it doesn't bother me during gigs but afterwards it will wake me with numbness or pain in my forearm and hands while sleeping.  It's a strange sensation to have your hands numb and stinging both at the same time.  With respect to fishing I've only noticed it while tying knots.  Pinching tippet between my  finger and thumb will cause numbness if I hold that position too long. 

I wish you the best with your treatment.

I appreciate the kind words from everyone.   Not sure when i can do procedure,  but i am hoping after the new year.   In time to tie for the spring.  

I got the surgery when it started to effect my fly casting. I had it done almost 10 years ago and it was well worth it. Quick recovery and no re-occurrence.

9 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I got the surgery when it started to effect my fly casting. I had it done almost 10 years ago and it was well worth it. Quick recovery and no re-occurrence.

Thats great news,  i really want to do this one time only.  

I am hoping to gain mobility.   I delayed it a bit too long.   Have a trigger finger too but md says its not an issue .   For me its loss of circulation that gets me the worst.   Once my hands are cold i’m done.   Hoping that when the wrist is done it will improve.   Kind of need hands that stay warm living in the northeast and working outside frequently as part of my job.   

i started cbd oil therapy and its helped with the pain and flexibility.    Going for another emg test thanksgiving week.   

that will determine how long i have to wait.