Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Maction17

Bobbin Recommendation (and beyond)

Boosting my posts here on day one.

I can already tell I'm going to get fed up with having one bobbin to constantly rethread. What would folks on here recommend? 90% of my tying will be for salt flies, mostly size 4 to 2/0.

On a related note, is it recommended that I have more than one pair of scissors? I have the all-purpose Loon Outdoors pair that comes with their tying kit.

While I'm at it, if there's any tool that you feel is indispensable, let me know, please! The kit I have comes with: dubbing spinner, all-purpose scissors, bobbin, whip finisher, hackle plier, bodkin, dubbing brush, vise pawn, d-loop tweezer, medium hair stacker.

Cheers!

If you like your Loon bobbin but just don't like threading it, get the $10 extra long Loon threader. (The generic ones are too short for that bobbin, as are the flossers.)

No need for extras yet. Wait until you find your way.

A half hitch tool comes in handy for me when I crowd the head.

You might want a LARGE hair stacker, for bigger Saltwater flies.  I would also get some heavier scissors, like the Wescotts pictured below.   I tie most of my Saltwater flies (several hundred a year,) with heavy threads or mono line.  I buy 2# mono in 1000 yard spools which last me 3 or 4 years. For thread at I use Gutermann Bulky Nylon from Joann Fabrics,  its similar to Big fly thread, but much less expensive.  I use only white and color it with markers if necessary. 

As for Bobbins, its best to have at least 2.   I have 15, but usually only use my three  Nor-vise Auto bobbins.  Which ever bobbin you get should have a ceramic insert in the post or a full ceramic post.  For a bobbin threader, use the dental floss pullers found at Walmart.  

I have always bought Terra ceramic tip bobbins. They use to cost 2 bucks but they are now 6 bucks. I buy them because I like having thread already on bobbins, they work flawlessly and they last. I'm sure every type bobbin lasts because they really don't do much. My advise is to not wrap yourself around the axle over tools since most tying tools really don't do much. Good scissors can be found anywhere and everywhere for cheap. Back in the day finding small sharp scissors was a difficult  task, not so now. I really can't think of any fly tying tool that is indispensable other then my vise and perhaps my iPad. 

On 12/11/2020 at 12:29 AM, Garland hood said:

Can you make a hair stacker out of copper tubing or 1/2 or 3/4 inch copper pipe

Certainly, after cutting with a tube cutter you may have to polish aggressively so the cap goes on and off easier and you should remove the chamfer from the inside diameter. If you want to get fancy then flare the top side (better results prior to cutting tube to length). You can make a lot of your own tools. Search the forum or internet for idea's.

145-diy-hair-stacker.jpg

@Maction17   I’ve tied quite a bit of salt over the last 20 yrs and I would definitely recommend the Magnum

Rite bobbin.  I’m pretty sure you’ll like it as well.

DC5C65B0-C24F-4132-883A-8A7A1FA021D8.jpeg

On 12/12/2020 at 3:27 PM, Moshup said:

@Maction17   I’ve tied quite a bit of salt over the last 20 yrs and I would definitely recommend the Magnum

Rite bobbin.  I’m pretty sure you’ll like it as well.

DC5C65B0-C24F-4132-883A-8A7A1FA021D8.jpeg

Thanks! I'm on it...

I want my flies to be very buggy; lots of movement.  So my best tool is a small patch of velcro hooks; I found a discarded wrist band from a watch that I cut in 2 length wise and they are great. Wound and glued one to a dowell , left the other free. 

Yes, and many other tools can be made as well. Whip finishing tool - 2 lb. mono, thread, round toothpicks, and head cement (nail polish works).  Cut the mono into ~"1 1/2 piece(s), burn a small bead onto each end using a lighter (see how to make mono eyes), fold over and tie the loop onto one end of the toothpick, tie off and finish with cement.  To use lay along the top of your fly's head and wrap onto the head with 3-4 wraps, cut your thread and stick the thread through the mono loop and pull the toothpick bringing the thread under the 3-4 wraps = a whip finish. 

If you go to - Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource., type "clothespin" into the search window and you'll find a fly tying vise that you can make for ~ $5-6!  An on-line buddy of mine (and fellow New Yorker) Ed Engelman came up with this and other ideas for fly tying on the cheap.  He has written a book on these designs.

Oh, and for a nice, easy to carry vise to use on the water - get an Exacto knife handle.  Works nice to hold dry flies as well as smaller nymph/streamer flies for on water (literally!) repairs/corrections.  Drill a hole on the end and you can put it on a lanyard.

Kim