Fly Tying
Alc609

Materials

Anyone ever try to dye the poly filling in bed pillows and use it for any fly tying material? I’m always looking to recycle something into something useful 

Unless you're really thinking to cut up a perfectly good pillow to try out the innards for tying, which would be ridiculous... and even then yeah, what flytire says.

I think you will need disperse type dye's at temp over 200 degree's. These dyes usually do not work on natural materials. Poly is not hydroponic and cannot absorb water soluble dye. not worth my time when poly dubbing is cheap enough.

Was just going to throw a couple away and was wondering if anyone had tried before attempted it or before I tossed them. And I’m familiar with dubbing prices, I have seven totes full of it. Just always looking for new product to try. A man told me one time about buying a rabbit coat at goodwill for about 6 bucks and has lifetime supply of rabbit dubbing, always think

15 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Rit sells a synthetic-specific dye. "All purpose" does not work on synthetics.

Does the rot synthetic dye work pretty good? I have ordered some Veniard to try on a few things

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

You really can find anything you want on the internet.

And some things you don't' want to find.

Story- Know of a guy who was wanting to buy new boots. He searched "Red Head boots." She was a red head and had on boots. Use your imagination.

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

You really can find anything you want on the internet.

You stand to be corrected, the one thing you can’t find with a google search is conversation with someone who has experience with topic you are inquiring about. I’ve found over the years that talking to someone who has actually tried what you are considering I valuable 

6 hours ago, flytire said:

give it a try and post the results

I’m looking at synthetic dyes now, just wondering if it can be brushed out and used on streamers like minnow patterns. I use primarily natural furs and tie some synthetic materials but I’m always looking for a challenge lol

3 minutes ago, Alc609 said:

You stand to be corrected, the one thing you can’t find with a google search is conversation with someone who has experience with topic you are inquiring about. I’ve found over the years that talking to someone who has actually tried what you are considering I valuable 

I'm talking to you right now over the internet, and I know what I'm talking about.😁

3 minutes ago, Alc609 said:

I’ve found over the years that talking to someone who has actually tried what you are considering invaluable [sic]

LOL.  Yes, I know what you are saying. 

Most people really do mean well when they post a link to a question that has been asked, and sometimes that's all that is needed, other times we want a little more. 

Being able to discuss a procedure or process in a forum, 'live', so to speak, with those who have the benefit of experience and are willing to share it, is really the type of answer you wanted in the first place, and what keeps the forum active and engaging.