Chironomid-1080.jpg

Chironomid

Hook - Mustad C068 or equivalent

Thread - Black

Ribbing - Dun hackle stem

Body - Tying thread

Wing case - Black floss

Thorax - Dark hare's ear dubbing

Coat the thread body with crazy glue prior to wrapping the hackle stem ribbing or coat the entire body with uv resin

IMG_2991.thumb.jpg.fa905f28e3fe30d50f00db3c664b7cb6.jpg

Dark Knight Jig

Hook: wide gap jig hook sz. 14

Bead: 2.8 mm silver slotted tungsten

Thread: black 12/0

Tail: grizzly hackle fibers

Body: black Krystal Flash

Rib: small silver Ultra Wire

Hot spot: purple Ice Dub

Muddled Flatwing Spratley

51856992105_f471cf522a_c.jpg

51856662369_85b8ccdc90_c.jpg

51856992000_a43681abb6_c.jpg

51856992045_8f4a039102_c.jpg

A little free styling.

hook - WFC Model 6 #6
thread - Uni 6/0 black 
tail - guinea hen
rib - Mirage Flashabou opal
body - Ice Dub peacock black
wing - pheasant rump
shoulder - pheasant rump
collar/head - pronghorn hair dyed black (1 Tbs Rit Dark Brown/1 cup water overdyed with 1 Tbs Rit Black/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Here's an attractor pattern that I wasn't really sure I should post because I consider it my own design.  I know, I know and I hate saying that because with what must be hundreds of thousands of fly tyers in the world it would not surprise me if someone starts screaming that their uncle Frank used to tie the exact same thing and he even got it published it in a book back in 1992!  Then the next thing you know uncle Frank is at your house banging on your door with a gun.  Anyway this pattern is created from common methods and techniques that we all know and love. And with all apologies to uncle Frank I can say that I arrived at it on my own. 

This fly has been productive for me anytime terrestrials are working, locally that can be June through October here in the Northeast.  I fish it exactly as an emerger at the surface.  No floatant, dead drift in the surface film. A subtle twitch of the rod can make the legs kick.

THE TINY MONSTER

HOOK: #14 1XS 2XL NYMPH

THREAD: BLACK 6/0

EYE: 25LB TRILENE MONO- GREEN MELTED

UNDER BODY: LIFE CYCLE CADDIS DUBBING: BLACK

ABDOMEN: BLACK HEN, PALMERED AND CLIPPED

RIB: ULRA WIRE- CHARTREUSE

THORAX: LIFE CYCLE CADDIS DUBBING: BLACK

LEGS: (6) PHEASANT TAIL FIBERS: NATURAL, KNOTTED

HEAD: LIFE CYCLE CADDIS DUBBING: BLACK        

IMG_2157.thumb.JPG.91bf94f741bcb9ca335a019058e443fa.JPG

IMG_2161.thumb.JPG.d1fc6b1c7a7e3f3aa7fbc760721a4c8a.JPG

The green eyes freak me out.  But I like it!  Add a second knot to your legs and see if it helps.   Thanks

16 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

👍👍 drowning hopper attractor. 

Close Chug- I found this after a quick search-

Capture.PNG.bf6d9d726a6d993865cc6ca6ce3f24e5.PNG

1 minute ago, WJG said:

The green eyes freak me out.  But I like it!  Add a second knot to your legs and see if it helps.   Thanks

Yeah me too and thank you-   Red mono works for eyes when I use red wire for ribbing.  I change the dubbing and palmer hackle colors sometimes but black seems to work well here.  I will try a 2nd knot.  This fly isn't going to empty a river of fish but there are times when it will let you know where they are hiding that day. 😎

Since February is the second month of the year, I thought that I would tie some 2X2 patterns from my collection.

Let's start with some New Zealand Killer style streamers.

Black Pete - this is one that actually was designed in NZ!  Designed by John Morton of Christchurch.

767554003_BlackPete.thumb.jpg.393530ea4b84009920943ef42ec70c52.jpg

Hook - Mustad 9671, 2-6

Thread - black

(optional) Body - red chenille (or yarn)

Tail - black squirrel

Wing - 3-4 matched sets of iridescent blue peacock body feathers, tied each side of shank, Killer-style

Chile Pepper - This NZ Killer-style pattern originated in Chile - hence the spelling of the name - as a sea trout pattern found to be a nice immature carp pattern in North America!  This 2X2 actually uses a hook and thread and 2 different feathers from a Golden Pheasant pelt.  Quite economical for such a well-travelled pattern!  And it uses the Mickey Finn colors.

491770312_ChilePepper.thumb.jpg.f08061a2de6f48917344e548949cfdd1.jpg

Hook - Mustad 9674, 2-6

Thread - fire red or fire orange thread (fl. fire orange used here)

Tail - yellow GP rump feather fibers

Body - 2-3 matched sets of yellow GP rump feathers, back tied to just short of end of tail, next about 2/3rds up the shank, last ~3 eye widths behind eye

Shoulder - red matched back GP feathers, tied just in front of last matched body feathers

2 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

@DFoster I wasn't meaning to say I've seen that pattern before, just describing what category I thought it fell into. Great pattern

I agree-

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

THE TINY MONSTER

@DFoster Very nice invention. The heck w/ Uncle Frank, he's a dyed in the wool attention hog. I really like that. Not to be Uncle Frank, but I've tied something similar. Well in that it has those long knotted pheasant tail fiber legs, which are a PITA to knot. I use lighter colors and it kills when adult crane flies are skittering across the top of the water. 

2 minutes ago, Sandan said:

@DFoster Very nice invention. The heck w/ Uncle Frank, he's a dyed in the wool attention hog. I really like that. Not to be Uncle Frank, but I've tied something similar. Well in that it has those long knotted pheasant tail fiber legs, which are a PITA to knot. I use lighter colors and it kills when adult crane flies are skittering across the top of the water. 

Thank you for the complement-  I think this is the first fly I kind of put my name on.  I don't consider myself an innovator and I'm completely happy tying and using any of the million or so flies out there that someone else dreamt up.  This one has caught fish for me and is just a little bit different so I figured I would share at least until I get a visit from uncle Frank 😵

Evil_Weevil_1080.jpg

Evil Weevil - Pheasant Tail Version

Hook - Mustad C068 or equivalent

Bead - Copper brass or tungsten

Weight - Lead/lead free wire

Thread - Olive

Tail - Pheasant tail fibers

Ribbing - Copper wire

Back - Scud back

Body - Pheasant tail fibers

Wing case - Scud back

Thorax - Sybai peacock dubbing