Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable 2022 trip daily updates

14 minutes ago, The Mad Duck said:

Heeeey..Wheres our update? I'm Jonesing man

I had to take a break. Getting old sucks. I went out for about an hour mid day yesterday and just didn't have it. Have been walking about 3-5 miles per day and wading all day so my feet & legs are really sore, and my shoulder is real sore (need a rotator cuff surgery for the past 10 yrs). Figured being 11 days into the trip is a good time to rest. So I threw in the towel yesterday after only an hour.

Still a bit sore today but better than I was. Got about 8 hrs sleep last night. Gonna hang out at the motel for a bit then hike up and see if I can get a smallmouth mid day, then head down to fish some trout and see if there's a hatch later tonight.

Supposed to be in the 90's and tomorrow so thinking tomorrow may be a rough day of fishing so gonna get a bit in today just in case.

3 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

I had to take a break. Getting old sucks. I went out for about an hour mid day yesterday and just didn't have it. Have been walking about 3-5 miles per day and wading all day so my feet & legs are really sore, and my shoulder is real sore (need a rotator cuff surgery for the past 10 yrs). Figured being 11 days into the trip is a good time to rest. So I threw in the towel yesterday after only an hour.

Still a bit sore today but better than I was. Got about 8 hrs sleep last night. Gonna hang out at the motel for a bit then hike up and see if I can get a smallmouth mid day, then head down to fish some trout and see if there's a hatch later tonight.

Supposed to be in the 90's and tomorrow so thinking tomorrow may be a rough day of fishing so gonna get a bit in today just in case.

Did we talk about carrying and taking 800mg ibuprofen to avoid being sore?🤪

I brought a brand new bottle of 200 count / 200mg with me, I have maybe 30 pills left lol. I had to slow down on them, taking too much is not good for the liver/stomach.

Fished this evening together with my friend Brett again. Nice evening. Brett got a real nice brown early in the evening. I missed a couple, then got a couple plump bows on an iso later near dark.

pTqOqHU.jpg

2mgcq6S.jpg

5uvwV5Z.jpg

CC3c23s.jpg

Too much sun today. Not even 11am and already 81f. Supposed to go to 97f today. No trout fishing today. Might try later this evening but even that's not for sure since its still supposed to be 90 at 7pm. May hike up above the dam to see if I can find a smallmouth, pretty hot though so dunno if I want to leave the motel AC room 😁

Wow! That Brown is one to remember.  Really nice fish so far Steve!  I'm really sore as well but regrettably it was from working on my house this weekend and not from fishing.  

I'm so glad you made the trip up this year Steve -- I know there are multiple factors conspiring against all of us travelling to fish this year, but I say that's all the more reason to cut corners elsewhere and go fishing when you can. It would seem that the universe is rewarding you for your decision, and I'm glad to see that as well. :)

I always love reading your daily reports from your annual Au Sable trips. It's clear that they bring you joy and a release from the grind of daily life that you deserve. Speaking for myself--it is always a good reminder to me that the cure for whatever "blues" I may have is never to be found in sitting around complaining -- it's getting off my butt and doing what it takes to get out there and re-discover the simple, good things in life. 

My buddy Richard is up here this weekend with me so we decided to head over to where my family cabin use to be near Gleenie and pull some streamers for some smallmouth this morning. Pretty good day. Back in Mio now. Going to head down for one last trout outing this evening before packing up and heading home in the morning.

0pTQWlK.jpg

dQ2PBKf.jpg

4G1M7FC.jpg

Steve 

I look forward to seeing your reports. Beautiful water and beautiful fish. It doesn’t get any better than that. Glad you are having a great time.