Fly Tying
flytire

Cheating

Saw just enough of that to last me forever…. The moment you place a money incentive on winning a tournament… I expect one or two will be trying to gain an advantage by cheating…. 

I long ago decided not to fish tournaments since in general they take something I really like -and turn it into something I don’t like at all…

"he was immediately suspicious when one team’s fish weighed almost twice what he expected they would"

LOL - what a couple of dopes.  

3 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

they take something I really like -and turn it into something I don’t like at all…

Couldn't agree more. 

3 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Saw just enough of that to last me forever…. The moment you place a money incentive on winning a tournament… I expect one or two will be trying to gain an advantage by cheating…. 

I long ago decided not to fish tournaments since in general they take something I really like -and turn it into something I don’t like at all…

I couldn't have said it better. To me fishing is NOT a competitive sport!!!!!

3 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

I couldn't have said it better. To me fishing is NOT a competitive sport!!!!!

4 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

I supposed fishing tournaments have their place and they may even be good for the sport.  Certainly some people need to compete either for bragging rights or money - For those people we have created Golf and reality show competitions. -Not every one gets to be a pro athlete after all.  

For me I couldn't care less, there's the Zen quality within fly casting and mending the drift that's broken only on occasion when a wild fish eats the fly that I tied.  That is the real satisfaction of fly fishing.  Why ruin a precious meditation like escape by polluting it with the stress of competing against people?  No thank you.

Although competitive fly fishing is not for most fly fishers, the advantage for us who do not compete is that new flies, techniques and casts result from the competitions.

For example, the double haul was introduced at the 1934 American Casting Association national tournament in St. Louis, Missouri by Marvin Hedge.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-history-of-the-double-haul.161/

Sometimes an entirely new style of fly fishing is introduced. Euronymphing was introduced by Vladi Trzebunia during the 1989 World Fly Fishing Championship. He won by the greatest point margin ever and his personally score in 1989 was higher than the total score of the next three national teams. He coached became a coach of the US team and is responsible for Jim Currier being the first American to ever medal in the international contest.

http://flyfishingbum.blogspot.com/2010/07/vladi.html

https://www.denverpost.com/2007/03/24/polish-innovator-reveals-craft/

I heard of people weighting fish with lead before but never with fillets. Im in the crowd that pays zero attention to tournament fishing,  It’s nothing more then a giant marketing tool to separate one from your money. Just look at what every bass angler thinks they have to carry in their boats to catch fish. I prefer fishing with a minimalist approach over having to carry 20 rods and 6 tackle boxes every trip, 

36 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

heard of people weighting fish with lead before but never with fillets

Same here, but a buddy I talked to about that made a point that makes sense. He said he bets they wrapped the 2lb lead in smaller walleye fillets so that it felt soft and not so obviously felt if the judges felt the belly of the fish. Kind'a made sense to me then.

I'm a retired cop (retired after 22 years and went back to school, got my captain's license, and never looked back..).  It took a few years after leaving that line of work before re-learning that most aren't lying to me or doing something they shouldn't be doing.  Incidents like these cheaters remind me of a world I don't want to be a part of any more.  Wish it weren't so... 

I just read that prosecutors in Ohio are looking into this episode. They are considering felony theft charges against the alleged cheaters. We shall see...

Public exposure is the best medicine in my opinion… Must say though if they’re doing this… what else are they up to?  Of course I’m just a cynical old cop that will never be allowed to serve on any jury…

People cheat whenever money is involved. Where I live hosts the National Cornhole Championship. It was rocked by a huge cheating scandal. This apparently was the tip on a big iceberg.

Who knew you could cheat?

https://nypost.com/2022/11/02/professional-cornhole-world-rocked-by-baggate-cheating-scandal/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app