Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

CDC Honey Ant

Hook- Mustad 94840, thread- tan, body- golden brown dubbing for abdomen shaped to ball tan thread spine with 3 copper Krystal flash legs; woodduck dyed CDC wing with a smaller dubbed thorax in front, fly whipped finish behind thorax on spine.

looks great in other colors to match local ants.

honeyant.jpg

honeyantf.jpg

6 hours ago, cphubert said:

CDC Honey Ant

Nice tie as usual CP. 

I'll go against popular opinion and say CDC is overrated, wonder how that would perform with snowshoe?

2 minutes ago, niveker said:

how that would perform with snowshoe

I think snowshoe would be a fine sub for the CDC a lot of problems with CDC relates to quality I have some from Canadian  Geese that is superb but limited in color keeping my eye out this year for Snow Goose.

Your could be right.

Its the maintenance it requires when fishing it dry that bothers me, snowshoe to me seems much more durable and bouyant. 

20 hours ago, niveker said:

Your could be right.

Its the maintenance it requires when fishing it dry that bothers me, snowshoe to me seems much more durable and bouyant. 

Get some of that Loon Lochsa. It's an oil. Treat the fly with it before you fish it. After you've caught one. Wash it, dry shake or blow the fly dry. Add a bit more and you're ready to go. I find that CDC doesn't take much more maintenance than regular hackle or hair.  The Lochsa will keep that fly floating for a loooong time. It's also good for non CDC if you don't want to carry 2 types of floatant

839954562_Chiconesmidnightspecialv1.jpg.d51d712bd087829a625fe9654370895c.jpg

Chicone's Midnight Special:

Hook: Octopus, #4

Thread: Uni-mono

Tail: SF Flash Blend Fiber, UV Grey

Flash: Flashabou Lateral Scale 1/69", opal

Body: 2mm craft foam, grey and Flashabou Lateral Scale 1/69", opal (wrapped)

Collar: FTD BGD-A.W. dubbing brush, silver grey

Eyes: 3D molded, 3/16", yellow

Head: UV resin, thick, with Hard as Hull overcoat

For the next fly, I would like to do something a bit different. Rather than a specific pattern to copy, lets use some creativity. Listed below is the fly genre and materials that must be used. Beyond that, the fly is what you choose to make of it. I am going to keep the materials basic and common so that most people would have something on hand, and may not even be something specific to fly tying. How you choose to use the materials is up to you, material colors are your decision, size is your choice, but all of the listed materials must be included in the fly, and no materials outside of those listed may be used.

Genre: Nymph (stonefly, mayfly or caddis)

Hook

Thread

Marabou

Zip lock bag

Flashabou (or equivalent) 

Monofilament line

Deer body hair

Head cement, super glue or UV resin

Have fun with it and lets see what can be created.