Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

2130199216_extendedbodymayfly.thumb.jpg.212de32163bb2a28212cafcd9218bd3e.jpg

Extended Body Mayfly  

Hook: TMC 2457 

Thread: White 50d Nanosilk

Extended body: Strip of latex glove formed and welded around a curved pick then slip of foam inserted and coloured with Sharpie 

Tail: 3 deer hair fibres 

Wing: Dunn CDC 

Hackle: cream coloured 

Flex Hex before I shortened the wing. The body folds up so that even smaller trout will be hooked when using this fly. 

35593315541_40b2d49782_z.jpg

The Flex Hex is the best pattern for the Hexagenia Limbata hatch that I have been able to find and I've tried a number of them from traditional patterns tied on straight hooks to extended body patterns tied on shorter hooks. Both have problems hooking up on all takes.

The crosshatched brown thread over the fly body simulates brown markings on the natural below.

146336706_db8147b23a_o.jpg.278c4eeb9dfd6b883f6338c94b204cb8.jpg

The problem is that the naturals are so huge that "stiff" patterns are often pushed out of the way on strike. Unlike the natural which folds up, the stiff tail and body of traditional patterns do not and the fly just gets pushed out of the way unless it is a perfect take.

The Flex Hex solves this problem by putting a mono to mono loop hinge in the middle of the pattern and even smaller fish can take in this pattern. It actually fold ups and offers less resistance than the natural.

Another advantage of teh Flex Hex is that the mono hinge allow the two body sections to move separately from each other. The natural hexs wriggle and flop around when emerging and when fished in the riffles, the Flex Hex hinge allows the two sections to move independently simulating the natural.

I've modified this pattern to a parachute which produces a more realistic impression on the water and which can easily be changed into a spinner by cutting off the post. The naturals have a mottled brown body with a yellow abdomen and the cross hatched brown thread on yellow mimics this.

Parachutes are best tied with one size longer hackle than the traditional hackled flies and getting hackle that is long enough for a flex hex is difficult. Modern genetic capes have longer feathers with denser hackle but the hackle length is shorter. I use my old Metz necks from the 1980s for the size 2 hackle that I use for this pattern.

Here is John Nebel's Original Flex Hex Pattern:

https://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/the-flex-hex

Write up on the pattern.

https://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/doing-the-limbata

5 hours ago, niveker said:

Nice.  Another extended body mayfly recipe from Phil Iwane

Iwane-E-Dun Para

Phil taught me how to tie that bad boy. It get's easier the more of them you tie. I can attest that it's a fantastic pattern.  Tied in the right colors and sizes it imitates any mayfly you want. Here's a couple. Can't remember what size they are. 

20230423_145121.jpg

20230420_204145.jpg

Seems the steelhead candy didn’t have any takers. I’ll make a switch to favourite steelhead fly 

24 minutes ago, Heff2 said:

Seems the steelhead candy didn’t have any takers. I’ll make a switch to favourite steelhead fly 

Mossback cool?  It's the go to fly in my region.

I'll do a steelhead candy also but please give more info.  The pattern now goes from nymph to intruder style.  Is it tyers choice? I'm down for whatever just let me know.

This is what i had thought of as steelhead but tiers choice is always welcome.  Always like to learn a new fly.  

IMG_1442.jpeg

7 hours ago, Heff2 said:

This is what i had thought of as steelhead but tiers choice is always welcome.  Always like to learn a new fly.  

IMG_1442.jpeg

if these flies are entered for the requested "steelhead candy" then please choose the next challenge fly.

if not ,then cencalfly is the next challenger to tie the "steelhead candy"

Steelhead Candy

Hook: TMC 2457 #8

Thread: Red

Egg: Glo-Bug yarn cinched with 20lb fly line backing

Tail: Guinea died green

Body: Blue Mylar

Collar: Peacock Krystal Flash Chenille 

Bead: 5/32 Gold

Didn't have any egg beads so I cinched up some Glo-Bug yarn with backing.  It made it flare ok.  Beads would be much better and easier to use.  I ordered some beads but they will not be here until tomorrow. 

Steelhead Candy.jpg

Fall Favorite - Ed Hass style. 

hook- Mustad 36890, thread - black, body- silver tinsel, hackle - red, wing- orange bucktail

style of tying wings developed by Ed Hass that is believed to make them almost indestructible, the return eye is opened on the hook and the hair placed in the opening facing forward secured with thread then body and hackle are tied in thread brought ahead of wing then the wing is folded back and secured with thread and whip finished.

Next fly up Haig-Brown's Golden Girl

fallfav.jpg