Fly Tying
Al Beatty

Non-Tying Question

I am an Executive Vice President for a company that designs and manufactures specialty steel rolling mills for installtions world wide.

We have offices in the USA, Tokyo, Japan and France.

I will retire Dec 31, 2009 and already have two part time jobs as a consultant.

Two undergraduate degrees in engineering and a MBA.

Very interesting posts on careers of our members.

Regards,

FK

WOW don't know how I missed this one!!

I am a retired Soldier, 24 yrs in the Canadian Army, as a RADOP, Combat Communications, Retired as the 1st Signals Sergeant of Canadian Maneuver Training Centre, in Wainwright Alberta. I retired with a medical pension, to busted up to lead the troops, and it still bothers me to this day. I also did 8yrs as a part time E911 Dispatcher, and 8 yrs as a part time,Emergency Medical Responder on Ambulances, here in Alberta Canada..

I am now a full time husband, finally after 29years, full time trout bum, and fly tyer, I(we) have two fur kids now, Fischer and Thor, who are my fishing partners, when the wife or buddies are not up for a fishing trip they always are..

I am also the vice-president of Project Healing Waters & Fly fishing CANADA. That will teach me to rescue fellow fly fishers from snow banks in Feb, and there goes my quite retirement.. So far it has been great and I can only see it getting better,as more vets discovery the wonder we all know as fly tying and fly fishing..

http://projecthealingwaters.ca/

Thats a good question. I've been in limbo so long I'm not sure how to respond. Right now I'm a nursing student (Grad next semester!!!) who lives off of a small military disability pension and the GI Bill. Since getting out of the Service I've done everything from gardening to Park Ranger'un. Hopefully I'll be falling into a nice Emergency Room position in the next few months that will allow me to pursue my obsessive hobbies to excess. No wife, No girlfriend, No one to nag me about buying a new set of skis and a bunch of feathers in the same months. Life is GOOD!

Thats a good question. I've been in limbo so long I'm not sure how to respond. Right now I'm a nursing student (Grad next semester!!!) who lives off of a small military disability pension and the GI Bill. Since getting out of the Service I've done everything from gardening to Park Ranger'un. Hopefully I'll be falling into a nice Emergency Room position in the next few months that will allow me to pursue my obsessive hobbies to excess. No wife, No girlfriend, No one to nag me about buying a new set of skis and a bunch of feathers in the same months. Life is GOOD!

Blake

I really think Im going through a mid life crisis at 40. Of course we all want to be trout bums and forest ranger, but I truly have been considering looking for a job with the forest service. would love to hear more about the Park Ranger'un and any tips. I may just get the courage to jump into a new life.

For the last 11 years I've been a research and development technician for a precision polish company (in a nut shell: eyeglass, gun scope, crystal, LCD screen polish maker)

An aspiring commerical fly tier......still trying to figure out how to make it pay off

The wife is a school nurse

Al....Best Thread in a Long Time!!!!

I work for IDEXX Laboratories. We make diagnostic test kits and analysis equipment for veterinary medicine. I work repairing electronic circuit boards.

I have been a professional student for the last 10 years. Right now I am about one week away from finishing a triple major in Philosophy, Theology, and History. A few years ago I did some graduate work in theological ethics, which was just enough to help me realize that the academy is not for me. Right now I work part-time for a think-tank that focuses on religious pedagogy. I hope to work as a high school history teacher in the near future.

I work for IDEXX Laboratories. We make diagnostic test kits and analysis equipment for veterinary medicine. I work repairing electronic circuit boards.

I am a veterinarian who uses all of the equipment Nexxus produces for IDEXX. I have a complete IDEXX lab in the clinic and have for years. For 45 years, I have been a veterinarian. I have more fun now working with animals and the people who own them than anytime in my life. I've got great people to work with so coming in every morning is a pleasure. Life was great, is great, and will be great. I kayak, backpack, hike, fish, tie and read on the side.

Ray

I work for NASA as the resources executive of a directorate and I'm also the resources manager for several space exploration projects. Very cool place to work.

-- Mike

Blake

I really think Im going through a mid life crisis at 40. Of course we all want to be trout bums and forest ranger, but I truly have been considering looking for a job with the forest service. would love to hear more about the Park Ranger'un and any tips. I may just get the courage to jump into a new life.

Unfortunately its a tough field. I actually got laid off my second season due to budget cuts and a friend who was a Senior Ranger at another park was given to choice to move 2hrs from her husband or be out of work (fortunately for me she took the job and has a place literally on the Arkansas!). That said its a great job to have. If it really interests you I'd look into DOW vs Forest or Park Service. DOWs seem to be much more stable jobs because many of them are almost completely funded by fishing and hunting licences and draw minimally on taxes which equals less budget cuts. Several of my friends work seasonally with them and I think their recommendation to getting ahead in the job application process would be to volunteer with your local office doing fish surveys and such. Hope that helps.

Josh

My dog would like to thank everyone who takes the time to care. She would like to thank you all for choosing this field of work.

Me I work in Marketing for a very large company that touches every country in the world. Unfortunalty marketing is not a great as they make it out to be in the movies.

I am a veterinarian who uses all of the equipment Nexxus produces for IDEXX. I have a complete IDEXX lab in the clinic and have for years. For 45 years, I have been a veterinarian. I have more fun now working with animals and the people who own them than anytime in my life. I've got great people to work with so coming in every morning is a pleasure. Life was great, is great, and will be great. I kayak, backpack, hike, fish, tie and read on the side.

Ray

post-23253-1260560952_thumb.jpg

HMMM? I am presently unemployed :wallbash: , forced retirement from the residential construction trades here in California due to the turn in the economy :bs: , but on the verge of finishing a program and getting my A+ and Net+ cert's in network support technician. :clapping: I'll probably find a job in the IT/help desk /computer repair field unless I finish my Psych degree and start working with disadvantaged youth. Or maybe I'll got to guide school, buy a drift boat and take those troubled youths and other people fly fishing, tye flies and write kick ass stories about my fascinating life adventures! Probably not but who knows? My lovely wife graduates from Pharmacy school Monday and has been offered a job in Boise as a pharmacists. I am sooooooo lookin forward to movin out of California :thumbup: with all it's water and fisheries problems :thumbsdown: and moving to a place where I can fish during lunch! :kicking: :jumpy: :kicking: I know there are probably Issues in Idaho that I am not aware of and other obstacles to overcome :boxing: as far as moving and starting life over again at 45 but as far as i am concerned, bring it on!!! :yahoo: