Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

12 years

Today is 12 years smoke free for me. Wasn't easy and it took probably well over 100 attempts, but Good Friday of 2011 I finally put them down once and for all and haven't touched one since. So glad I finally was able to quit 🙂

Steve, Definitely worth celebrating you should treat yourself to a nice dinner and reflect on losing that habit for health and the money you saved.

Way harder to quit than to start! 37 years for me. Saved my health and a lot of cash for toys.

Les

3 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

it took probably well over 100 attempts

At least.LOL

What really blows my mind is how anyone could even afford to smoke these days. Back 12 yrs ago when I quit, I was complaining back then about paying $5.25 a pack for the Newports that I use to smoke. A week or so ago when I was standing in line at Walmart I saw the cigarettes behind the cashier in the lane I was in so I looked just to see how much they were now, and they were $9.00 a pack. That is just nuts 🙈

I've been tobacco free now - since the early seventies - and if asked,  I still can't explain how I was able to go cold turkey all those years ago as a young man after smoking a pack and a half a day from age 16 to when I quit at age 22... Best thing I ever did - and maybe,  just maybe one of the reasons I'm still able to guide at nearly 75 years old... 

For anyone reading this and still smoking - get free of tobacco any way you can...  Amen (and I'll get down off of my soapbox now...).

First day of spring 2000...nothing since. I always remember a tip I got from a friend when I was talking up that I had quit smoking.

He told me..."You are only between cigarettes and don't forget it".

Congratulations!

I still remember the weekly family grocery shopping trip on the weekends when mom and dad would each get their carton of cigarettes for $2.50 each (that averaged $0.25 a pack).  As a little kid I was appalled that they would spend $5 a week on cigarettes as poor as we were with 3 kids in the family.  Years later they finally quit.

1 hour ago, DWSmith said:

spend $5 a week on cigarettes

I think that was pretty common in our generation almost everyone's parents smoked. I remember a lot of roll your own (no machine) in my family along with pipes and chew where pretty regular on our farm.