Fly Tying
DWSmith

Fly fishing from a kayak; pros and cons?

If you fish from a kayak tell me the pros and cons please.

I have mobility issues so I need to be seated while fly fishing.  I've done it from a jon boat years ago but I suspect it's different when fishing from a kayak.  A kayak would be easier to transport I think; like on a car top.

There are Kayaks "called sit on top<" that work well for fishing in general.  Personally, I use a "NewCanoe."  They are wider, and much more stable.  I never worry about standing when using mine.  I built a higher seat platform for mine that has good back support. You can of course fall out, but you cannot tip over.  You fall out, and the kayak doesn't roll, it just flips back to upright position as you fall out.  IT tip mine one would have to hold on to the sides to pull the kayak over.  Its very difficult to roll other wise.  It has a squared off back end which allows you to install a small (2.5) motor, or any of a number of electric motors.  

First Shad crop.JPG

"New canoe"?  Haven't heard of those.  That looks pretty cool.  Where did you get it if you don't mind saying.

Some of the Ascend kayaks remind me of a pirogue ... sort of.  They're supposed to be very stable for a kayak.

Update: I think I found them.  Frontier NuCanoe?

First thing I would say is ... sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you.  Sit like that for as long as you think you'll be fishing.  If you can't hold that position for the duration, you don't want a kayak.  On the other hand, a plastic canoe like Utyer's, or like the "Coleman" I've got, is almost as light and is easier to move around in, to change positions.

I have an open, fishing style kayak that I have fly fished from. My seat is lower than the one in Utyer's photo. The pros/cons really depend on the type of water you're fishing (moving vs still) and compared to what other craft (jon boat, drift boat, canoe, float tube, etc). 

In general I'd say:

Pros

- light, mobile, doesn't draft much water at all which is ideal on shallow rivers come August

- being low to the water and relatively quiet you can be pretty stealthy 

- as mentioned above, you can't really tip them over (though you can fall out)

- you don't have to deal with inflatable pontoons

- on days when you just want to paddle around its more enjoyable than paddling a canoe or row boat, imo, especially if you're by yourself. 

Cons

- unless you're storing things at your feet/on your lap, it's hard to get to things without going to shore and getting out

- turning around while sitting is limited to have much you can twist

- being low to the water really limits your ability to see into the water besides straight down over the side

- I'm pretty nimble on my feet, and I still wouldn't stand up in mine unless I was okay with going for a swim

If you do get a kayak, don't skimp on the seat. Its well worth the few extra bucks to get one you're comfortable in. For pure fishing purposes, the new canoe, a regular canoe, jon boat, or single seat pontoon boat might be more comfortable and easier to move around in with sacrificing a little agility on the water. Especially if you're primarily fishing lakes, the agility piece probably isn't much of a factor. However, I fish and paddle some "rivers" that are glorified creeks where the mobility is nice to be able to squeeze through down trees and tight quarters. 

If there's somewhere close by that rents kayaks and canoes it'd be worth taking them for a "test drive." 

The best advise I can give you is to TRY BEFORE You BUY any Kayak.  I tried 14 different kayaks before buying mine.  Tipped the first one over on my first outing on a cold February day, and vowed not to have that happen again.  So far, it hasn't happened again.  The seat is a standard folding boat seat, with a swivel plate, so I can turn the seat to get to gear stored behind me.  I raised the seat using about 3" higher with aluminum rails.  Its quite easy on my legs and back.  

I gave away my inflatable pontoon before moving to Florida.  There is no way I fishing with my feet in the water down here.  I have seen way too many gators while fishing.   I fish in several rivers, lakes, and the in-shore lagoons near Cape Canaveral, but I don't use mine in the surf.  After reading the replies below you can see why.  

The NuCanoe is about $1600.00, and I just looked at the "new" seat platform.  It places their seat at about the same level as the one I built.  The weight is about 70 to 75 pounds, and I can load it on my Subaru Forester.  But with your back issues, a trailer would be a better option.  Again, find a local dealer, and TEST it before buying.  The next best Kayak that I test drove was a Hobie but it was almost 3 times the price.   

Kayak

I use a Hobie outback it was more expensive than I like but it is stable and fishes well. I would advise a sit on top if fishing salt but sit in are ok too just make sure you carry a pump and can self-rescue. Also recommend try before you buy

Pro's- stable in open water (I fish salt water with it) easy to maneuver the human drive system means no registration- I have rolled it in waves while launching more embarrassing than harmful no loss of gear everything well stowed and leashed for launch and recovery. comfortable. can carry more gear than I need can look like a 12 foot tuna boat if overloaded. heavy enough to help stability fast enough to follow fish.

Con's- heavy, need beach wheels to move from truck to water. hard to top load, better in the bed of truck or on small trailer. As with any small boats you need to have a weather eye. need to keep an eye on larger boats to make sure you are seen you are low on water and power boats moving fast have come close. line management is needed a tub or box to keep untangled messes.

I fish with a 9 foot fly rod would like to try a 8 footer big bluefish have sat under my seat area (under the boat) and they are hard to move out from under you. casting has not been a problem and you can position the boat for best wind casting and drift advantage, additionally I do have stabilizer floats if I feel I need them. in time you will be able to stand and cast or kneel  if you have a hard time sitting while casting.

have also owned a sea eagle 420 inflatable only downside was the wind taking you and slower paddling than a hard boat but very safe and stable.

Id double check the regs in your state. Minnesota requires craft over a certain length, even if human powered, to be registered. I think its anything over 10 feet in Minnesota that requires registration, but worth checking on. 

This thread just came up on another site that I frequent... Down here in south Florida there are guys who take kayaks fishing out in bluewater off the Atlantic coast (the Gulfstream comes in within a few miles of our coast from MIami Beach up to Stuart -and the depths drop off very quickly in relatively close to shore..).  At any rate this tale comes under the heading of "be careful what you wish for" in my opinion.  From the visual evidence it looks like the angler's kayak was actually attacked and bitten....  https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/296869/kayak-angler-knocked-out-of-his-kayak-by-a-big-shark#latest

No, this isn't something I'd ever recommend anyone doing (even in my younger, very foolish, days...).

I tried kayak fishing with a friends kayak. This is my opinion and mine only. I am not looking to argue with anybody. I have owned a boat my entire life so this may skew my opinion. I will paddle a kayak once or twice a year but not for fishing. 

I hated it. I can’t come up with one pro. I guess it’s cheaper than a boat but not by much.  Cons are easy. You get wet, you get cold, you get hot. Although I did not have to transport it, transporting it seems like it would suck without a trailer. Sitting in one spot for a period of time makes me stiff. The biggest con was that It absolutely killed my back. For me a kayak is more an exercise tool to go out and paddle around in current for an hour or so. As a vehicle to fish out for a half or whole day, no thanks. 

the advice to try before you buy is great advice and try one for a period of time that you fish. I would opt for a small aluminum boat over a kayak any day of the week. 

Mostly I fish flowing water, being lucky to have lots around from which to choose.  But I will use a sit-in kayak when I have the itch to get to the other end of my lake or roam the shoreline/weedy patches, and I can't bum the skiff from by buddy.  It really is a PITA fly fishing from it due to the low position , and I certainly ain't gonna get any awards for my casting form when I do it. 

I would definitely give what @utyer and others describe a shot, getting elevated, but kayak fish so infrequently, buying a different kayak just isn't worth it to me. 

I like using a paddle board, but my daughter put the kibosh on that, fearing a hole from my hooks.   

As far as car topping vs trailering, plenty of loader assists out there, and the simpler ones look pretty easy to DIY.   

Looking forward to seeing your final decision.  

I specifically asked my surgeon yesterday about paddling a kayak or rowing a jon boat.  He basically said go for it.  "Live your life."

My back issue wasn't due to any accident or overuse but due to degeneration caused by arthritis.  I'll probably have more issues like this in the future in other parts of my spine but they won't be due to any activities.

That said, I'm leaning away from getting a kayak after all the comments here.  (Thanks for the input guys!)  I'm thinking I'll figure out a good way to transport my 14' aluminum jon boat instead.

I have experience using the jon boat so I know it's comfortable, stable, and has plenty of room for me and my gear.  Using a couple of oars I can scoot around a lake or a pond almost effortlessly and get back into the shallow areas.  But it's quite a bit heavier than a kayak and would be too difficult to cartop by myself but I could slide it on a trailer and strap it down.

If I use the jon boat I'll start making a few modifications to it.  It needs a rod holder and a fish locator.

Thanks again guys!

Dan

3 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

kayaks fishing out in bluewater

There are some that mother boat then launch in the canyons to fish, I have seen way too many big fish out there to think that is ok, A couple years ago a kayaker off of Stellwagon Bank hooked into a bluefin and went on a 7 mile Nantucket sleigh ride. I'll keep inshore, L.I. Sound and the salt ponds- on nice days.

3 hours ago, DWSmith said:

I'm thinking I'll figure out a good way to transport my 14' aluminum jon boat instead.

Dan

Maybe?

Ironton Personal Watercraft and Boat Trailer Kit - 610-Lb. Load Capacity product image 1 of 9 slides