Fly Tying
DWSmith

Whip finish; by hand or with tool?

I tie off one of three ways: with a tool, by hand, and half hitch using the recessed end if my bodkin.  Probably use the tool 80% of the time

neither

half hitches for me

2 hours ago, DWSmith said:

Just wondering, which way do you prefer?

Thanks!

which way do YOU prefer

I whip finish with a tool so I don’t have to put lotion on my hands. Sometimes I do a half hitch but I prefer a whip finish for no good reason other than it’s what I do. 

I use a tool.  Many purists turn their nose up, but I can whip finish just as fast with a tool as they can by hand.  The Matarellii whip finisher is a joy to use, and I’ve been using the same one for over 40 years.

I started with the Thompson whip finisher some 50+ years ago, but now use the Marc Petitjean tool and have used it for the last 10(??) years or so.
Great piece of equipment that should last anyone a lifetime.

While I can easily whip finish by hand I much prefer the tool.

I tie in most flies in stages to keep consistency in patterns I normally half hitch during stages for security and better durability, for head completion I use a whip finish tool I can whip by hand but due to loss of dexterity over the years I get a better result with the tool.

More replies than I expected!  Thanks.

I use my fingers but it's more because the whip finisher included with my Cabela's Deluxe Fly Tying Kit I bought many years ago came with a Sunrise Whip Finisher and it's really different from a Matarelli.  I should get a Matarelli style whip finisher and only use my hands as a backup.  My hands are too rough most of the time.

On big streamers by hand usually, on smaller fllies a Matarelli tool, and really small flies or parachutes a half hitch tool.

I hate to ask but instead of me hunting for one and finding out it's not so good then trying again, can someone save me some time and point me to a source for a good one please?  Or when they say Matarelli style do they really mean one made by Matarelli?

Looks like the ones made by Matarelli are going for $80 to $110!?!?!?  Never mind the original ones.  :D

Thanks.

https://shop.flyfishsd.com/products/whip-finisher-rotating-made-in-india?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8L-og6Ov_gIV_ROzAB2YEQToEAQYAyABEgJXmfD_BwE

this is all you need. A whip finish tool does nothing special, difficult or technical. I use the above Terra and one I made out of a Chinese food container handle and a coffee stirer. Both work equally well. No need to spend a lot unless you just happen to like to spend a lot. 

43043E5A-AA6E-4005-B709-A88D8A854C8E.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

https://shop.flyfishsd.com/products/whip-finisher-rotating-made-in-india?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8L-og6Ov_gIV_ROzAB2YEQToEAQYAyABEgJXmfD_BwE

this is all you need. A whip finish tool does nothing special, difficult or technical. I use the above Terra and one I made out of a Chinese food container handle and a coffee stirer. Both work equally well. No need to spend a lot unless you just happen to like to spend a lot.

I prefer to save a lot of money!  Thanks for the link.  :D