Fly Tying
vicrider

How about some Bass flies

In the mail today. Ended up with more of a weedless sparkle bugger, hope y’all like ‘em. After you receive them I’d appreciate your feedback for how to do it better next time.

IMG_7096.jpeg

I'm not sure about the material you used but similar to Estaz and I'm thinking a good brushing out would bring more life to the body. I'll try it on mine before I ruin anyone else's. If it does work I'll go through them and give them a shot of brushing. If it screws up it'll only be on mine. Marabout can be a miracle worker on almost any pattern and that would work just as is with the tail and sparkle.

25 minutes ago, vicrider said:

I'm not sure about the material you used but similar to Estaz and I'm thinking a good brushing out would bring more life to the body. I'll try it on mine before I ruin anyone else's. If it does work I'll go through them and give them a shot of brushing. If it screws up it'll only be on mine. Marabout can be a miracle worker on almost any pattern and that would work just as is with the tail and sparkle.

Yeah, I started to cut everything off and start over with dubbing and marabou. I was also concerned about the weed guard. It’s 30# Maxima, but 15# & 20# just seemed too limp for bassing. I should’ve done the weed guard first instead of last, but I figured if anyone doesn’t want it, it’s easy enough to cut it off.  I kept the two ugliest ones for myself, hope to catch a mudfish with them.

This is only my second swap, so I appreciate those of you who act as swapmasters.  Hope it’s worth your time and effort. This has been fun! Thanks!

Every fall on the road between two lakes in MN, one of which we kept our camper on, the fall migration of frogs was so heavy you felt bad killing so many but they literally covered the road at times. That was a great time of year to bounce a jig and frog on the soft bottoms sine that is way they dug in to hibernate for the winter. Every fish in the lake, bass, northerns, walleyes and catfish had a feast and were easy pickin's for a bounced frog on the bottom.

Much rather have an army of frogs then the army of Army Worms (tent catepillars) we'd have march through the summer up north. Don't know what the cycle was but when they came thick they turned the entire forests of northern MN into a winter landscape because, like locust, they ate everything green on trees and bushes. I had my 12' boat under a tree in yard and when they came through I had a bare tree and a 1/2 " of army worm crap in the bottom of my boat to clean up.

On 6/28/2023 at 1:38 PM, Mudfish620 said:

In the mail today. Ended up with more of a weedless sparkle bugger, hope y’all like ‘em. After you receive them I’d appreciate your feedback for how to do it better next time.

Mudfish, it's great as is but I pulled the trapped fibers out on one and it stands out a lot better and should have better movement in water. I'll let others decide if that's the way they way they want to go with theirs but I think it's a very good tie. The weedguard could probably be a little heavier mono but should help keep it weedless in most situations. Thanks for joining us and look forward to more of your swap flies.

Steve Stabgnid, did you want flies back? Maybe you're getting like me and have too many to find room to store and just look for an excuse to tie more. I'd be glad to send them back if you want them. It's a good looking set for smallmouth or big mouth and some even would be happy to attract a trout or two.

Nick

By the way, was going to message you but you're either full or shut off in your profile.

Norm, not the tires fault but one of the sets got sent back when Squeezy used Pirateship. He resent them and they're here and yours and others with return envelopes are on their way. I need to print labels and send a couple back out but he's going to find out why his Pirateship didn't go through. Very nice poppers and glad they made it the second try. Seems like something or someone backs up every swap and it's not always the person's fault. These should have been ready to go yesterday but some bad family news backed me up a day too. 

I'll try to get pics or hopefully someone will take them. They're a nice set but not as big overall as I expected, including mine. Should be good for a wide range of situations from sand bass and hybrids to bass, panfish and trout.

Nic

The pirate ship was a “ship show” for me. Apparently I mid red the instructions- though they’re extremely simple…. I’d mailed the package to myself. We use a local post office in our small town, which seems to be a day or two behind larger city offices. 4 days later I had mail for me, says my 8 years old son walking through the door. He said, Dad, looks like one of the fly things again”. Needless to say, that’s when I realized it was sent and received by the same person. 

23 hours ago, Squeezy said:

I’d mailed the package to myself.

That's nothing. I once mailed my set of flies to the completely wrong swapmeister. 

Try and beat that!

17 hours ago, niveker said:

That's nothing. I once mailed my set of flies to the completely wrong swapmeister. 

Try and beat that!

On my first attempt to send the flies for this swap to Nick, I had a brain-fart and sent them to Cheyenne, WY instead of Cheyenne, OK. 🤪

I sat down and tied a whole new set of poppers in one night, packaged them up, and then before I could mail them received my original set back in the mail. 

All's well that ends well. :)