Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable 2023 trip daily updates

Just got off the river, not a lot hatching where I was at like there was the past few nights. ...btw....here's some strange sounds in the woods when you're all alone 😂🤨
I did get a few bows that came out to smack a new iso comparadun pattern I started tying today so that's good to see that pattern works. Think I'll rest up and go after some streamer trout early in the morning, then maybe hit some smallmouth water mid day tomorrow, then back to trout for hopefully a better hatch/rise tomorrow night.

HXViMaJ.jpg
abV3dNr.jpg
hb4zXYY.jpg
2PkNWhx.jpg
UtqPCVw.jpg

...btw....here's some strange sounds in the woods when you're all alone 😂🤨

you are not alone! i see you

Sasquatch-forest.jpg

2 hours ago, flytire said:

...btw....here's some strange sounds in the woods when you're all alone 😂🤨

you are not alone! i see you

Sasquatch-forest.jpg

It definitely sounded "squatchy" 🤣 . There was what sounded like a pretty good size tree branch break just down river about 50yrds from me about 10pm last night. I keep telling myself it was just a 300lb deer 🤣

Yesterday was a bit of a rougher day. Only two small browns and a small bass.  Really rainy which was good because we needed it, but also cold so between the rain & cold the hatches stopped and the fish stopped rising. The river level is in great shape now. Water temp is only 60f which is down from 69f it was just a week or so ago. But supposed to turn sunny and get into the 70's and even 80's starting today/tomorrow so that should get the water temp back up into the mid 60's and get the hatches going again so I think the hatches/fishing should really pick back up in the next day or two.

Steve,

Looks like you're having a ball.  Keep up that stellar work. BTW, the big brown is real beaut.

6 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Yesterday was a bit of a rougher day.

As they say, still beats a good day at the shop.  

Was a pretty decent night on the river. Much better than the past couple days. That cold snap had the hatches and fish both out of sorts. Warmer weather today got both the iso's and light cahills going again. Didn't get anything real big but did get some decent ones that made for a really enjoyable evening/night.

TD70Vrm.jpg

d0PAddh.jpg

eZXKwob.jpg

nE3GArJ.jpg

2 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

TD70Vrm.jpg

Looking awfully happy there, Steve, good for the soul, glad this trip is being so kind to you, you deserve it.

Yeah chug, with the tough fishing of the past 2 days it was pure joy to feel the take of a decent (or any) fish last night 😁

Hard to believe but I actually decided to not go fishing this morning/afternoon 🫢 With the way the hatches were coming off last night and fish rising, I decided to stay at the motel and tie flies all day till this evening. Have a good feeling about tonight, hopefully I am not wrong.

Had an excellent hatch of light cahills last night right at dark so tying up some with a little hi-vis mixed into the wing for tonight.

EbTz95e.jpg

WBemOsk.jpg

Looks like a fantastic trip so far! You timed it just about perfect for fishing the hatches this year. :) Glad you're having a good experience...and now you've got me thinking that I might need to haul my kayak up there and float Mio to Comins or something...;)