Fly Tying
Gene L

Fish right, reel right

I learned to fish on baitcasting tackle, then spinning tackle shortly thereafter.  With baitcasters, I was used to casting with my right, then switching hands to retrieve.  Basically, there was not much of a choice.  Then when I learned to use spinning tackle, I got used to the idea of casting right / reeling left. It made some sort of sense.  When I started fly fishing, years later, I could have gone either way.  I went with spinning’s approach of “cast right, reel left, no need to switch hands”.  It just made the most sense, even though I knew it was bucking tradition.

I fish with all types of gear, like many of you.  My first reels were spinning reels.  Cast right and retain the rod in the right hand, use the left hand to operate the reel.  I can skip a lure 20 to 30 feet under a dock with a spinning rig.

Then I learned fly fishing.  Cast and hold the rod in the right hand.  As stated by others, I rarely put a fish on the reel, but all my reels are left hand retrieve.  So, spinning and fly, reel with the left hand, control the rod with my right. I can cast my fly rods with my left ... pretty good with it, too.  But I cannot get the hang of controlling the line with my right.  I have to switch back to work the fly, set the hook and bring the fish in.

When I moved south of Indiana, I started chasing larger fish with larger lures and took up the baitcaster.  For some reason, it didn't work the way the other systems did.  I still cast with my right, but then I switch the rod to my left and control the reel with my right.  I think the reason that felt natural is that I've always palmed the reel.  Cast with the handle, then grab the reel in my left hand and control the rod from there.  I also use the reel a lot more to work the lure.  I can skip a lure about 10 feet or so with a baitcaster.  

57 minutes ago, mikechell said:

I fish with all types of gear, like many of you.  My first reels were spinning reels.  Cast right and retain the rod in the right hand, use the left hand to operate the reel.  I can skip a lure 20 to 30 feet under a dock with a spinning rig.

Then I learned fly fishing.  Cast and hold the rod in the right hand.  As stated by others, I rarely put a fish on the reel, but all my reels are left hand retrieve.  So, spinning and fly, reel with the left hand, control the rod with my right. I can cast my fly rods with my left ... pretty good with it, too.  But I cannot get the hang of controlling the line with my right.  I have to switch back to work the fly, set the hook and bring the fish in.

When I moved south of Indiana, I started chasing larger fish with larger lures and took up the baitcaster.  For some reason, it didn't work the way the other systems did.  I still cast with my right, but then I switch the rod to my left and control the reel with my right.  I think the reason that felt natural is that I've always palmed the reel.  Cast with the handle, then grab the reel in my left hand and control the rod from there.  I also use the reel a lot more to work the lure.  I can skip a lure about 10 feet or so with a baitcaster.  

This is basically how I fishtoo.  However, I have an old Hardy that reels right handed.  It feels natural, too.  I cannot use a left handed baitcaster, though.

For big fish on fly, I teach first timers to try not to use their arms during the fight if they can... with the rod butt up against your hip (or at least below the belt line wherever you're comfortable - and tuck your elbows into your sides as tightly as possible - and never, repeat never place your hands above the cork grip.  The idea is to use your whole body to pull with instead of just your arms... Works pretty well - and when that fish is close - no "high-sticking" ever.  I do my best to have my anglers never raise their rod above the horizontal with a big fish next to the skiff - then drop it quickly down to the water's surface (or lower) to gain line with the reel.  i do actually have a few anglers that can beat a hundred pound tarpon this way - in less than 15 minutes on average - but you have to be willing to go to max pressure as soon as the fish settles down... The fun part for me is when I'm trying to control the fish at boatside...   Here's a pic of my "office" - one moment later this fish did slap me upside my head with his tail... When she settled down I got my hook back and she went on her way in the river... 

c3PDrDv.jpg

Only around 80lbs.. they get a lot bigger... and yes, we do break our share of fly rods.. 

I would suppose when the chances are pretty good that you go on the reel ,  R/R helps winding the line but I don't know.  I'm too inexperienced to know that and probably never need it.  There's always the odd instance where you'll have to either go strong hand on the rod or strong hand on the reel.

I hold every rod in my right (strong) hand and reel every reel with my left (weak) hand. I let the rod fight the fish not the reel. I also feel that as far as reeling goes my left hand is my strong reeling hand. It’s all I’ve known. 

Being a southpaw, I have been forced to learn and adapt to right-handed equipment most of my life. My preference is rod in left hand reel with right, but I can comfortably use either hand for fishing. When I was young my grandfather told my to learn to use right-handed things because it was a right-handed world, the Sisters in grammar school reinforced this with a ruler but I was able to resist their persuasions and write with my left hand. Most equipment today is adaptable as noted, this was not always the case, younger fly fishers today have better availability of equipment.  I think you should learn to cast with both hands very helpful in cross winds then switch to your strong hand for reeling when required.